follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
CaptainSlow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
LED DRL issue

Hey guys,

I have been having a random issue with my driver's side LED DRL bulb. I am thinking of replacing it with a higher quality LED bulb if I have to, but first (before spending the money), I'd like to get some input on ways to maybe correct the issue with the current bulb.

I've noticed when idling the bulb will flicker slightly, almost as if it's not getting a constant power, or as if there was a loose connection. I pressed the connector in as tight as I could, and it fixed the issue somewhat, but it still flickers.

More recently (last couple of days) it will not light up when the car is started. The passenger's side lights up fine, but the drivers side is off. However, if I turn it to low beams, the LED will flicker quickly on/off, then if I turn the headlights back off, the LED will light up. I looked at the bulb, and there appears to be some corrosion on some of the soldering/connections near the base. I'm guessing the bulb is just a lower quality bulb and it's just run its course, but I thought it was interesting that turning the headlights on then off will get it to work properly.

Anyways, not a huge deal obviously, but if anyone has any insight as to what might be going on, I'd appreciate it!
Old 08-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Try switching the bulbs around. If the problem continues with the same bulb, it's the bulb.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
Suffa

Drives: Black GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Try bending the pins out at an angle very slightly. It allows for more surface contact.
Suffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
Frstorm

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It may be the quality of the bulb you purchase. With lights I find you must spend alot of time investigating which company to go through and if its a lot than other sites there's a reason.
Frstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
CaptainSlow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yeah I think that was a lot of it. I inspected the bulbs a bit more this morning in the light and saw one of the housings had cracked. I'm guessing some water may have gotten in there as well...ended up buying a new set today, and just running the stock lights until they come in