follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-11-2013, 03:36 AM   #1
Obja

Drives: Raven FRS/c5 Corvette
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
How should i lower :(

Ballin on a budget here.

I can't afford spending more than 1.5k on coils and if i cant get decent ones that wont screw up my car i don't see the point

The dilemma is i want my car lowered but cheaper methods (springs) seem to be frowned upon on this forum, are they that bad?

HELP PLEASE
Obja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:39 AM   #2
bear89103
Old Fart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obja View Post
Ballin on a budget here.

I can't afford spending more than 1.5k on coils and if i cant get decent ones that wont screw up my car i don't see the point

The dilemma is i want my car lowered but cheaper methods (springs) seem to be frowned upon on this forum, are they that bad?

HELP PLEASE
I'm not sure it's frowned upon as much as people don't want others to waste money if they lower it and then a few months later, decide to switch to coil overs. I personally only have springs (Swift).
bear89103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:44 AM   #3
Obja

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear89103 View Post
I'm not sure it's frowned upon as much as people don't want others to waste money if they lower it and then a few months later, decide to switch to coil overs. I personally only have springs (Swift).

To be honest I am looking at the Eibach Sportlines and the drop they give is enough for me. I don't really want to go lower than that because my daily commute is rather bumpy and what not.

So would the Eibach Sportlines be right for me if im content with the drop?
Old 07-11-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Im on Eibach pros, which are not as low as sportlines, while I know many here praise them I think alot has to do with your roads, everyone considers their conditions differently. I am in a state of not knowing at moment to. Sure I jumped into just springs, but now having other thoughts, just made a post actually. LOL

I think fast forward a few years and SOLID answers will be available as well as more solutions, meanwhile we all take chances, and form opinions and if what you choose works for you and your roads and liking then that is all that matters.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
getbent

Drives: 2013 FR-S Blue MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Do you have a need for fully adjustable dampers? Would you know how to adjust them if you were to buy some? If not, then you probably don't need them, nor would want to deal with trying to tune the suspension for your liking.

My recommendation would be to just pickup some springs, whether they be Eibach, RCE, Swift, etc and potentially aftermarket dampers if you really get the itch to upgrade.

I have been on Swift BRZ springs with the OEM dampers and the ride is very reasonable. It does get jittery at times over rough road, but part of that is the car is so light and short wheelbase.

IMHO unless you need coilovers for a specific reason (tracking or stance) they are overkill for a road car (daily driver) and most folks don't want the overly stiff ride or hassle of having to adjust them to ride properly.

getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to getbent For This Useful Post:
Obja (07-11-2013), Racecomp Engineering (07-11-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Drftfan

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
As with my 240sx and my integra I went with Megan Racing coils. 840.00 shipped for the street series.
They work absolutely fine. For a street car I have never understood why people even want to drop 1500.00 on a set of coils.
Trust me. Go with Megan's over springs. They are cheap, they work, they are built well etc etc.
To each their own but until the day I build a track car I will continue to run what I feel is the best option and that hasn't let me down quality wise.
Obja (07-11-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
bear89103
Old Fart

Quote:
To be honest I am looking at the Eibach Sportlines and the drop they give is enough for me. I don't really want to go lower than that because my daily commute is rather bumpy and what not.

So would the Eibach Sportlines be right for me if im content with the drop?
Sure. You should go with whatever you feel would give you the drop that you want. Because ultimately no matter if you choose eibachs, rce, swift, etc. they're all gonna perform about the same.

Oh and another thing. I've noticed no matter what springs you choose, you will have some negative camber on the rear wheels. So youse want some lower control arms.

I have this problem and am looking to get some soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to bear89103 For This Useful Post:
Obja (07-11-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
Obja

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear89103 View Post
So youse want some lower control arms.

I have this problem and am looking to get some soon.
how much would that run me ?
Old 07-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
bear89103
Old Fart

Quote:
how much would that run me ?
Im assuming that you are talking about the LCAs. So the price depends on the brand. I don't know which is better. But I've seen some as low as two bills and some as high as five for the pair.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
Flat Black VW

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Ive run coils on cars in the past and been in a few different levels of low from slammed, stanced, 4x4, and just a subtle drop.

For now I am simply running Hotchkis springs on my BRZ while I concentrate on modifying other parts of the car. I will eventually go coils but for now springs are plenty. Ive been running them for almost a year and will probably continue to for a couple more years.
Flat Black VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
You don't necessarily need LCAs with our RCE springs since the drop is mild/medium. I do recommend the Whiteline rear camber adjuster, which is a lot cheaper than LCAs but more of a pain to install and adjust. It's still not 100% required but I'm anal about alignment.

You can feel a large difference between springs...they are far from all the same. Our springs are pretty drastically different than everything else out there. Completely different spring rates and we include shortened bumpstops. Not the lowest, but function first and I still think they look awesome.

Biggest difference you feel is with springs that lower a lot in that the ones with big 1 inch or more drops feel worse for ride quality and handling. Just not enough bump travel left if your roads are not perfectly smooth or you intend to improve handling.

IMO stick with our springs, Swift BRZ springs, or Eibach Pro-kit. If you MUST have a bigger drop (more than 1.2 inches), then maybe start thinking about coilovers because you won't get a good ride on springs unless your roads are super smooth. Handling will suffer regardless.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (07-11-2013), bear89103 (07-11-2013), Obja (07-11-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
And I agree with getbent...coilovers are not always necessary and may not even be better for you and your uses. If you just want to lower the car about an inch, are not a super serious track or auto-x guy, or don't want to slam/stance the car, then good springs are the easy choice. Coilovers can be very good if you spend the money but it's a lot more to think about.

And anyway, a lot of our customers are tracking their car on our springs and having a blast.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (07-11-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
Excelerate

Drives: Crystal Black BR-Z Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ballin on a budget here.

HELP PLEASE

If the car still has relatively low miles on it, springs will work just fine. These cars have pretty large wheel gaps factory and once lowered, they look so much better. So if you don't have the budget to purchase coilovers right away, springs are a nice way to go. They will shorten the life of the stock shocks, but on a brand new car, you will still get a fair amount of mileage out of them. Once they go, then you can upgrade to some coilovers.

However, if you would like to just go straight to coilovers, take a look at the ISC N1's. They are offer a lot for the price:

Camber adjusting pillowball upper mounts in the front, with an option to add them in the rear as well.
Fully threaded stainless steel shock body
32 levels of damping adjustment
They can lower the car from 1-3", 3.5" if you adjust the spring perch
4 Different Setups (street comfort, street sport, race track, and custom)

Great bang for the buck.
Excelerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
Obja

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
You don't necessarily need LCAs with our RCE springs since the drop is mild/medium. I do recommend the Whiteline rear camber adjuster, which is a lot cheaper than LCAs but more of a pain to install and adjust. It's still not 100% required but I'm anal about alignment.

You can feel a large difference between springs...they are far from all the same. Our springs are pretty drastically different than everything else out there. Completely different spring rates and we include shortened bumpstops. Not the lowest, but function first and I still think they look awesome.

Biggest difference you feel is with springs that lower a lot in that the ones with big 1 inch or more drops feel worse for ride quality and handling. Just not enough bump travel left if your roads are not perfectly smooth or you intend to improve handling.

IMO stick with our springs, Swift BRZ springs, or Eibach Pro-kit. If you MUST have a bigger drop (more than 1.2 inches), then maybe start thinking about coilovers because you won't get a good ride on springs unless your roads are super smooth. Handling will suffer regardless.

- Andy
So would Eibach sportlines be pushing it? Because that's the drop i want