follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-27-2015, 09:24 PM   #15
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scr1ptz View Post
That little round button next to accel. We have a 1916 Grand Baby at my shop
and it looks similar.........
We have a WINNER! ........ to @scr1ptz

Neat old "Baby Grand" .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
scr1ptz (08-27-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 09:38 PM   #16
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Nope, you're not the only one.

I had my fill of fun with "push start" things back in the 40's ......

Can anyone under 30 years old, tell us where the starter "button" is in this picture ..... ??

humfrz
So, I am not the only one who finds this new generations obsessions with push button starts just a little ironic. Those damn starter buttons use to be a prime failure point on some of my early "whips".
Old 08-27-2015, 10:12 PM   #17
Zhangy

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I installed this 3 in 1, it's a wide thin rearview mirror overlay that has backup camera with meter lines, built-in DVR that records both front and back while you drive. The overall quality is average, does the job nevertheless.
Zhangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:13 AM   #18
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
So, I am not the only one who finds this new generations obsessions with push button starts just a little ironic. Those damn starter buttons use to be a prime failure point on some of my early "whips".
.......... sorry ......

Yep, my first "run in" with one of those "start button" cars was two weeks ago, when I rented a new car at the U-Rent-Em place in Saint Louis.

The person at the counter pointed us to the car and said the "keys" were in it.

So, I jumped in and couldn't find the ignition switch. mrs humfrz pointed out the "keys" in the drink holder. So, I picked them up and there were two fobs .... but no "key" ......

I was about to go back inside to ask this kid where the key was, when mrs humfrz pointed out the big red "start" button.

OK, so I pushed the start button ...... nothing happened .......

I finally figured out that, although it was in park, I had to push on the brake pedal .... first, no not later, no, not at the same time ...... but FIRST ..... before punching the start button …….

To add insult to injury, mrs humfrz asked “are you going to adjust everything while we are sitting still ….. or wait till we are going down the freeway at 70 mph and then start adjusting things ….. ??”

Nope there weren’t nutten wrong with the hand crank!

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:13 AM   #19
Zhangy

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
.......... sorry ......

Yep, my first "run in" with one of those "start button" cars was two weeks ago, when I rented a new car at the U-Rent-Em place in Saint Louis.

The person at the counter pointed us to the car and said the "keys" were in it.

So, I jumped in and couldn't find the ignition switch. mrs humfrz pointed out the "keys" in the drink holder. So, I picked them up and there were two fobs .... but no "key" ......

I was about to go back inside to ask this kid where the key was, when mrs humfrz pointed out the big red "start" button.

OK, so I pushed the start button ...... nothing happened .......

I finally figured out that, although it was in park, I had to push on the brake pedal .... first, no not later, no, not at the same time ...... but FIRST ..... before punching the start button …….

To add insult to injury, mrs humfrz asked “are you going to adjust everything while we are sitting still ….. or wait till we are going down the freeway at 70 mph and then start adjusting things ….. ??”

Nope there weren’t nutten wrong with the hand crank!

humfrz
yeah the brakes are the trigger for push-start. BTW, [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbhHcxscu4Q"]Why Keyless Cars Are Stupid - YouTube[/ame]
Zhangy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zhangy For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-28-2015), Rampage (08-28-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 09:23 AM   #20
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
OP,
Get the 2013 FRS, buy this guy's 2014 head unit and GPS module, $450. is a fair price for both. It's plug and play. I have the same head unit without the nav module. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93958 Too late SOLD. Check the classified section here or eBay. I got mine for $300. new shipped from an eBay vendor but I've seen them cheaper here. Used the same brackets from the stock HU for the new one.

Get a genuine Rydeen backup camera that works on 6.0V. This is the only authorized Rydeen camera online vendor: http://www.al-eds.com/Rydeen-Mobile-...0B-p22239.html There may be other eBay or Amazon vendors that are selling genuine Rydeen BU cameras, caveat emptor.

I ordered what a thought was a genuine Rydeen camera from eBay but it would not run on 6.0V. Had to purchase a wire harness from here: http://www.autoharnesshouse.com/19867_add.html You can use this wire harness for a camera that needs more than 6V.
The FRS will also need a reverse trigger wire. The BRZ does not need one.

Get SVXdc's wiring harness. From 808BRZ or order it from SVXdc: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84741
http://ae64.com/Rear-camera-16-pin.htm

Here's my DIY: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=20

Last edited by RickyBobby; 08-28-2015 at 10:06 AM.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RickyBobby For This Useful Post:
02.ACCORD.DUDE (08-28-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 09:07 PM   #21
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
If you are really cheep (like me) 4ucam is a Wi-Fi to smart phone. Yes you have to start the app to use it but really I only need or care about what's behind me on an infrequent basis. The hole is already there with a plug behind the license plate light holder.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote