follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #197
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
Oh dear God, why are people who are crying that "It will be slower than a camry" still signing up here?!?!?
What happend to MetadorF1?
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #198
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Have you seen Bumble bee transforms into Camaro? MatadorF1 just did the same transformation. LOL
Old 02-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #199
armythug

Drives: Pegasus White 86GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallin2Rhythm View Post
back on that whole engine noise thing being in the cabin mic... I am starting to think they put a mic in the engine bay. Its almost like they put it right next to the intake. You know? Its got a very throaty and airy sound. I just hope they're not trying to fool us with changing levels in engine noise vs cabin noise. I don't know, my wrx with a 2.0 doesn't sound anywhere near as beefed.
It sounds better than my WRX lol.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #200
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Have you seen Bumble bee transforms into Camaro? MatadorF1 just did the same transformation. LOL
+2

LOL!
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #201
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Garage
You can drive a "slow" car fast because I have seen so called "slow" cars beat fast cars. Hardly any car is going to beat you on the twisties when you are in a AS1!

Nobody knows the 0-60 MPH yet, because nobody has tested it yet.

This car will be fast enough for what it is, and remember the ECU is unlocked.

Remember this car was meant as a base for greatness!
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #202
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
+2

LOL!

ft86 forums. Full of Ninjas and Transformers.
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #203
Maxim

Drives: 2010 GTI 2dr Tornado Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
ft86 forums. Full of Ninjas and Transformers.

Live action transformers style FR-S/BRZ art NOW........

By somebody vastly more talented than me.....

Name him "Turbo." Just to give everybody shits of rage.
Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #204
PR0PH37

Drives: 1997 Toyota Celica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
If you keep waiting you'll never buy one. There is always something else better coming out.
Nah. This what I've been waiting for since the 6th gen Celica. I actually told my wife yesterday and she didn't want to hear it. Im just going to have to wait. Another reason for my wait is for Toyota to work out the kinks. New tech and collaboration will probably bring issues that they didn't expect. 3 years will get that all taken care of with the addition to more HP and other options. Im also looking for a better color.
PR0PH37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #205
Dsbj

Drives: 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
your average ft86club noobie that post that kind of message or make |turbo threads" doesn't track their car and considers highway passing the nearest thing to motor sport that they will do. Slow is str8 = slow in their mind even tho the likelihood of them being able to drive the stock car to its limit is little of none
Case in point, last event at Infineon I drove my 400+ whp 335i with full suspension, tires, etc. You know who was faster than me? My instructor in his 70's BMW 2002. Granted, the thing was race prepped but I had 300hp MORE than him. On the track, numbers don't always add up. Yes, I could blow past him on the straight but he was on my ass every corner. Oh, and before someone starts arguing my experience level, I've had approx 30 track days at Thunderhill and Infineon.
Dsbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #206
Hanzo

Drives: Waiting for the ND Miata
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR0PH37 View Post
Nah. This what I've been waiting for since the 6th gen Celica. I actually told my wife yesterday and she didn't want to hear it. Im just going to have to wait. Another reason for my wait is for Toyota to work out the kinks. New tech and collaboration will probably bring issues that they didn't expect. 3 years will get that all taken care of with the addition to more HP and other options. Im also looking for a better color.
I've always bought first year cars, never had major issues and always taken care of by the manufacture. I used to wait too but by the time the car is into it's second or third year I see something else I want to buy lol. It's like buying eletronics, there is always something new you want.
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #207
keiri
Toyobaru Wonder Twins™

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ PP
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR0PH37 View Post
Fellow 6th Gen owner here and I was going to buy in the first year because this is the first new car I've truly wanted since I purchased my Celica.

But, at this point I'll probably by my wife a new car and get an FR-S at the mid-cycle refresh.
keiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #208
ChrisH

Drives: Car
Quote:
Great video. I enjoyed it. A few issues:

2) I thought a torsen was a mechanical? What is this about a mechanical as an option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
+1 on the confusion.

I think I generally understand the different differentials (open, clutch pack, viscous, torsen, and locker), but the term 'mechanical' is new to me. I also associate 'mechanical' with the geared torsen. Plus going back to the Supra it gets more confusing with upgrades. For instance the Mk3 Turbo came with a clutch-pack LSD. The Mk3 JDM Twin-Turbo R got an upgrade to a torsen unit. But the heavy-duty racing unit from TRD was a clutch pack.

I just don't see this 'mechanical' diff as a locker, so a clutch pack like Kaaz or OS Giken (and old TRD) aftermarket ones? But I would use 'friction' over 'mechanical' for my description...

Hi everybody,

actually I read since month in your forum about the great GT 86 /BRZ, which will sure be my next car!
Yesterday I suddenly thought, I should join the forum, as maybe I can assist a little in this question to reduce the confusion about the LSD.
Apologies for my English, I am not a native speaker.

Basically you are right, both, clutch type LSD and Torsen LSD are "mechanical".
However, Chris Harris asked, if this mechanical one is for drifting people, and Tada-san replied: "And for racing people".

I think this makes it pretty clear: The only useful upgrade from a Torsen LSD to improve the performance on a race track is a mechanical clutch type LSD. And somehow the clutch type is indeed more "rough mechanics" than the Torsen, as clutch packs may show wear over the time.

For those interested in more details, here a little overview.
(Feel free to add more info!)

Bascially there are two main groups of LSDs:

- LSDs, that react on different torque
- LSDs that react on different revs (revolutions/min)

Torque sensing LSDs are the best choice for sports cars and track racing cars.
Rev sensing LSDs are the best choice for low grip like snow, mud.

1.) Torque sensing LSDs:

Clutch type LSDs:
Highest level (and therfore first choice for race track cars) are clutch type LSDs.

As a consequence of torque, a ramp creates power to compress clutch packs, resulting in friction and torque transfer.
The more flat you choose the ramps, the higher the friction, the higher the torque transfer between the axels.
The more clutch packs you add, the higher the friction and torque transfer and the faster the response time of the LSD.
These type of LSDs react extremly fast.
However, the clutch packs will wear over the time. In intense professional race track use they may need exchange every season. For usual street use the may be fine for a whole car life.
Despite wear nearly all professional race teams use clutch type LSDs due to their fast response time and high flexibility to change the setup.
You can have clutch type LSDs with or without preload: Preload ensures a certain minimum locking to enhance traction on snow (although it may increase understeer slightly).
You can choose between 1-way, 2-way, 1,5 way. Actually they may be delivered with alread two different ramps, so changing the setup is possible without exchanging parts.
A very popular maker in Europe is Drexler. You will find Drexler LSDs in many professional race cars.
http://www.drexler-drivetrain.com/ar...ferenzial.html

Torsen LSDs (Torsen = torque sensing) are also used in some race cars, e.g. some Caterhams, Radical SR3, etc.
The principle is to make use of helical shaped gears: These will not only start to turn, but be pushed at the same time with their axle into their bearings, which creates friction

Benefit: More or less no wear!
Drawback: No preload possible, so not toque transfer, if one wheel is hanging in the air or standing on ice. Response time is said to be clearly slower than Clutch type LSDs. Less flexibility for the setup: Once you have a your LSD, there is hardly an option to change the setup.
If you need it the hard way, please find here all the technical details :
http://www.torsen.com/files/Traction...ol_Article.pdf
Important makers are e.g. Gleason or Quaife (http://www.quaife.co.uk/)

2.) Rev sensing LSDs

Visco:
Perforated wheel packs rotate in a viscous solution, that increases viscosity with higher temp. Reacts very slowly. No option for sports cars.

Visco-Lok:
Rev differences activate a little pump, that builds up pressure in a fluid to compress clutch packs. I am pretty sure, that BMW uses this type in the current M3 (E90/E92, as well as the E46 and the E60 M5). Good for winter times, not first choice for race tracks. I am not absolutely sure, but I would expect this type to open and close all the time during a drift, as it needs rev differences to create a locking effect, but the rev difference is elimnanted as soon as the LSD locks. The slow response time should therefore open and close movement in turn. But not absolutely sure about this point.
http://www.gkndriveline.com/drivelin...visco-lok.html
You may note, that BMW uses in their race cars Drexler LSDs, not their own ones (see the Drexler logo below on the rear fender)

In addition there are today some LSDs, that are activated in an non-mechanical way using an electric motor.
These would be indeed "non-mechanical" clutch type LSDs.
http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/produ..._gear_em.shtml

I hope, this helps a little - at least some of you - to overcome confusion

By the way: My car is equiped with a tailor-made Drexler clutch type LSD, and I can only say: Brilliant!

Cheers
ChrisH
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #209
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Thank you LSD Man!!!

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #210
Afghan Vet

Drives: 2002 BMW 325i

I don't know where else to put this, so I'll put it here.

I was in Daytona Beach this week, and they are getting ready for the 500. I saw a huge Toyota tent thingy, so I decided to try to find someone to ask about the FT-86/FR-S. I did bump into a guy who seemed to be pretty high up at Toyota. He said he drove the FR-S last October and liked it. He was at Toyota HQ last week, and saw one of the production cars. He made the comment that he thought the aesthetic dropped a bit from the prototype to the production car. He then talked a lot about the new Lexus GS. I tried to get him back to talking about the FR-S, but he never didn't seem to want to gush over it.

Tags
chris harris 86 review, chris harris fr-s, chris harris fr-s review, chris harris frs, chris harris frs review, chris harris gt86 review, fr-s chris harris, fr-s forum, fr-s forums, fr-s reviews, frs chris harris, frs forum, frs forums, frs review, gt 86 review, gt 86 reviews, gt-86 review, gt-86 reviews, gt86 review, gt86 reviews, scion fr-s forum, scion fr-s forums, scion fr-s review, scion fr-s reviews, scion frs forum, scion frs forums, scion frs review, scion frs reviews, toyota 86 review, toyota 86 reviews