follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-18-2015, 05:21 PM   #1
ハチロク

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Question I have a ridiculous 12" Subwoofer!! Need Help!!

My cousin who recently got married was getting rid of some of his old bachelor pad junk and offered to give me his old subwoofer and amp. I said yes of course but I have almost no idea what I'm doing with this stuff...

First of all this is what i got:

The sub is something like but not necessarily this model... I think it an older one that is discontinued...
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...g-ZX-4722.html

This is the amp I got
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-Xplod...ifier/20369612

I also got a somewhat shoddily built box for it but it doesn't really fit in my trunk the way it is now... I think I can manage to build one myself though thats not really the issue...

So here is the issue. I don't really have that big of a budget but I don't want to let this go to waste. What would anyone reccommend in terms of how to set this up, wiring, and anything else that may make this ridiculous amp fit into a mostly stock audio setup that won't be crazy unbalanced. I don't even know if this amp will really work well with the sub

what do I need to buy still? and what how hard will it be to set this up?
ハチロク is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:36 PM   #2
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
First off, that's not a ridiculous sub.. they're $20-70 subs at best... not a ridiculous amp either but just letting you know what you have to work with.

Secondly, you're going to need to do the following if you want a quick way to wire this to the FRS:

1. Run a wiring kit from your battery to the trunk (suggested 4 gauge wire and quality fuse). My amp came with signal sensing so I didn't run a remote wire but ymmv.

2. Buy a Line Out Converter (PAC brand w/ RCA outs will be fine)

3.USING THIS THREAD AS A GUIDE, Splice into the rear harness via the Speaker inputs from HU (3. 9. 4. 10) and using taps and wire the Line Out converter to them

4. Hook your amp and sub up as per usual

5. Enjoy

For extra points you can use Google to search the forum for all these answers very quickly using the link in my sig (How to Search)
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:02 PM   #3
ハチロク

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
What I meant by ridiculous was more that it was huge for the FRS and way to much for the stock system. (probably but what do I know lol)
ハチロク is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12", audio, subwoofer, volfenhag, xplod