follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2019, 11:56 PM   #1
RotARy15

Drives: 1993 Mazda RX-7 R1, 2017 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
STI Short Shifter gets stuck on downshift.

New member here and loving the car so far.

Just bought myself a CWP 2017 BRZ PP that seems to have had the STI Short Throw Shifter as a checkbox on the original sale.

Now, at first I thought it was me getting used to the car but now I'm not so sure. More than half of the times that I attempt to downshift from 5th to 4th the shifter gets stuck on the tip of the wall between 4th and 6th. I am not using any crazy amount of force or excessive speed. Any attempts to emphasize leftward movement have granted me some rather unwanted access to 2nd.

It seems the only cure at the moment is to move the shifter in the most effeminate manner possible. Essentially supplying only enough force to pop it out of 5th and center itself before moving to 4th.

Is this common? I have almost no experience with a standard OEM shifter in these cars. I test drove a new model about 2 months before buying this one and I had zero complaints about the basic OEM shifter. I have researched how the shifter is mounted and nothing seems to suggest that this issue would be caused at the shifter itself even if it were installed incorrectly.
RotARy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:59 AM   #2
MrSkubi

Drives: 17 CWP BRZ
I would say that it's quite common with stock shifter (I've had it for over a year) to get stuck between 4th and 5th gear when downshifting as well with STI shortshifter which I'm using now (ST35010AS000).
Try googling MTEC shifter springs. For me they did the trick and this problem no longer exists but I did install them along with Perrin shifter bushing and Whiteline KDT926 transmission mount support.
MrSkubi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrSkubi For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 01:35 AM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,301 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Yep, 100% install failure. Pretty much every other post about non oem shifter is about it not shifting properly.
Either go back to stock or re due install. A simple YouTube search can make it a nice diy.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #4
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 00 outback, 05 Colorado
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
If it was put on at the dealer is should be covered under Warranty. You can get it fixed for no charge. It may take 3 trips for the dealer to get it right tho.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:05 PM   #5
RotARy15

Drives: 1993 Mazda RX-7 R1, 2017 BRZ PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
If it was put on at the dealer is should be covered under Warranty. You can get it fixed for no charge. It may take 3 trips for the dealer to get it right tho.

As far as a shifter install goes, I can tackle that no problem and with my dealer experience, I would prefer if I did it myself.

But from all the research I have done on the shifter mechanism I don't really see how it could be installed incorrectly. The only problem I can see occurring from a bad install is the whole reverse/1st/2nd issue.

And I told myself when I bought it that I would not make the mistakes I made with my last daily and refrain from adding too much NVH to a daily. So those springs are worth a look at but I am going to hold off on any mounts until I decide to promote this car to dedicated track toy.
RotARy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:48 AM   #6
MrSkubi

Drives: 17 CWP BRZ
Shifter springs alone should not contribute to any NVH at all as far as I know. Install is really quick and easy when you do have access to car lift. Transmission mounts will add some NVH but for me it was barely noticeable.
Try searching for other people opinions about spings if you like - there should be at least few threads where they were mentioned
MrSkubi is offline   Reply With Quote