follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-07-2016, 06:31 PM   #57
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
Did you ask him if there is a simple fix for the pressure problem?
No. He has mentioned specifically that it's not possible to increase speed of the selonoids with more voltage but this was just in casual conversation.

Kris is real responsive and good about answering questions and sharing information. kris@sspperformance.com

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #58
North_GA_FRS

Drives: 2013 Toyota FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyIcy View Post
This is so odd to me, I've never seen this either but reading it makes me wonder, I have a MAP Turbo kit on my car and I am pushing over 350tq on the AT and on full throttle I never hit this problem. Makes me really wonder what you've got going on. I have the SSP Trans cooler and it helps so much.
So your auto shifts at the same speed as it did when NA? I didn't install the trans cooler, it was installed during the turbo install and tune so the bumber didn't have to be removed over and over. The fittings I brought weren't used, so I wonder if straight fittings or 90s were used. I'll have to check tomorrow and change them if they're 90s. I used the B&M universal cooler, which I have seen used plenty in NA cars but not sure about FI.
North_GA_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:26 AM   #59
North_GA_FRS

Garage
I had brought 8 quarts of Toyota WS to the shop for a drain/fill. Just double checked, I received 6 qts back. Pretty sure 2.1 qts is the standard drain, so the tranny is short on fluid by whatever the capacity of the lines and cooler is (1/2 qt maybe?). I'll adjust it report back tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:30 PM   #60
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Your shop did it wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_GA_FRS View Post
I had brought 8 quarts of Toyota WS to the shop for a drain/fill. Just double checked, I received 6 qts back. Pretty sure 2.1 qts is the standard drain, so the tranny is short on fluid by whatever the capacity of the lines and cooler is (1/2 qt maybe?). I'll adjust it report back tomorrow.
They did not follow the OEM instructions. 2.1 quarts isn't sh!t. The whole point is to FLUSH and fill. All they did was fill. You are better off with a full synthetic fluid anyway, like Redline ATF, or Amsoil.
FRSBRZGT86FAN (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 09:28 PM   #61
North_GA_FRS

Garage
I just asked them to do a drain/fill since I only had 20k on the car. The shop I brought it to is phenomenal. Since I was adjusting fluid level anyway, I drained and filled twice more, utilizing the instructions you wrote in a previous thread. Great instructions BTW and TY. Need to get beer, so I'll be taking the car out for a test drive shortly.

Last edited by North_GA_FRS; 06-09-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:48 AM   #62
North_GA_FRS

Garage
After adding just over 1/2 qt of fluid, 1st-4th is butter and much faster in manual mode. Shift to 5th is still long but I believe it took some time in NA form as well. Didn't drive the car for 3 weeks prior to the install, so I can't remember. Either of you guys have SSP internals? Still considering the Stage 2 valve body.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:20 PM   #63
North_GA_FRS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
For everyone following along, Kris said my transmission will be ready the week of the 20th. Updates to follow...

Also, who else here is boosted with the Auto? What's your throttle response with a turbo in 1st gear. Mine is horrible until the turbo gets spun up
My throttle response seems normal from stop to 3k. Gets kinda crazy after 3k......
Old 06-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #64
AJPG

Drives: 22RE, FA20, 4G63
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
We have replaced the transmission fluids 2 times have taken it to toyota 2 times and none of them can tell us what is wrong.
Styx,

Sorry to read your misfortune, that really suck, but I have a similar problem and fix it. Maybe I could help, just maybe...

All start with FI, follow FD, fuel pump, injectors, a lot of oil coolers and one day I have the brilliant idea of change AT fluids... I fill up the tranny as recommended but start to slip as on your video, (for the untrained or mechanic aficionado like my it look like the torque converter thing) but it make nonsense, why after the oil change??? It took almost 2 qts more and problem solve. I couldn't tell how many qts in total, I don't remember and have an extra oil cooler for the tranny.

Currently 362whp and 298 torque, almost forgot the nitrous (50hp) use and abuse the car daily. Also on the move for at least 60-100whp more with some lightweight modifications.

Oem engine and tranny, but oil coolers for almost everything.

AJPG
AJPG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AJPG For This Useful Post:
8686 (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 09:12 PM   #65
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Did you short the correct obd pins, cylce the transmission and perform the fluid level adjustment at the correct temperature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPG View Post
Styx,

Sorry to read your misfortune, that really suck, but I have a similar problem and fix it. Maybe I could help, just maybe...

All start with FI, follow FD, fuel pump, injectors, a lot of oil coolers and one day I have the brilliant idea of change AT fluids... I fill up the tranny as recommended but start to slip as on your video, (for the untrained or mechanic aficionado like my it look like the torque converter thing) but it make nonsense, why after the oil change??? It took almost 2 qts more and problem solve. I couldn't tell how many qts in total, I don't remember and have an extra oil cooler for the tranny.

Currently 362whp and 298 torque, almost forgot the nitrous (50hp) use and abuse the car daily. Also on the move for at least 60-100whp more with some lightweight modifications.

Oem engine and tranny, but oil coolers for almost everything.

AJPG
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:03 AM   #66
AJPG

Drives: 22RE, FA20, 4G63
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
Did you short the correct obd pins, cylce the transmission and perform the fluid level adjustment at the correct temperature?
Yes sir! Exactly as it aperars on the manual and need almost 2 additional qts of oil.

First and only fluid change for the tranny was at 15k miles and the tranny oil cooler was after the oil change (due to lack of proper mechanical training I like to change only one thing at the time and see how it goes). That been said I have instal 2 standalone that are currently working, so maybe isn't a bad idea to go baby steps.

AJPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #67
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
There is a drain plug and a check plug in the oil pan. If you were checking with the drain plug instead of the check plug it would be about 2 quarts low. It would also be too low if it was checked without the engine running. When the engine is running, it holds more oil in the TC.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:46 AM   #68
Soloside
-Phil's BIGGEST FAN BOI

Drives: 2014 Greddy Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Throwing up the lights as well. Granted it might be because I'm a little over 30k miles and it's time for tranny fluid change, but the issue only happens when I shift into 4th and pull a little, the CEL comes up with P0700 and P2757. It's never happened when I was FI'd on pump gas, only started popping up recently when I made the switch to e85.
Soloside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:43 PM   #69
Brandon562

Drives: 2015 frs asphalt
I have this same issue on my stock AT and it does this in 1st gear and second when shifting to 3rd jumps after any shift after 4k rpm
Brandon562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:44 PM   #70
Brandon562

Drives: 2015 frs asphalt
And toyota cant seem to find the problem they say its normal but my car never did this, its so depressing.
Brandon562 is offline   Reply With Quote