follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2014, 03:03 AM   #57
Nu_era

Drives: 13 FRS 10series/94 Supra Turbo 6spd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
An NA or TT model would be a worthy of any purchase but hopping in from one car to the other, I feel like the modern comforts are something you will not get with an MKIV or most Supra's. Mine personally gets exhausting to drive if I do any type of commute over 30 miles of city driving or running in to traffic with the 6spd and the aggressive clutch. It's built for a freeway pulls and will surprise you on the occasional mountain run.
FR-S I DD and I love it. Very much prefer to drive this everyday for the comfort and great platform that allows you to push it in ways that like a forum member stated earlier, the FR-S can be pushed a bit harder on turns and endurance type driving. The Supra stands the test of time with great power and great braking. Styling wise... I'm having a hard time deciding, they both are sexy as hell
www.affordablewindowtinting.com<---- My services

Last edited by Nu_era; 05-16-2014 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
Nu_era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #58
Ashybone

Drives: 97 Camry & 91 3000GT VR4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
im not dismissing you at all. you are dismissing the part where i talked about the supra being slower than the mustang though. i wouldnt mind if it was heavier, more complicated and more expensive IF it was faster, but thats not what we were talking about. if you want to disagree with what im saying thats fine but dont cherry pick my points when you choose to do it.
Ok I see your point now. The only reason why I'm not taking into consideration the supra being slower then the mustang is because we don't have any real numbers for either yet. We don't know how much power either car is going to be making. Hell, we don't even know what type of engine the new supra will get. I'm not even sure if we're talking about new or old. So please excuse me for dismissing the point. I just don't know how to approach it since I don't have enough info to agree or disagree with you. Right now its all speculations.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #59
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashybone View Post
Ok I see your point now. The only reason why I'm not taking into consideration the supra being slower then the mustang is because we don't have any real numbers for either yet. We don't know how much power either car is going to be making. Hell, we don't even know what type of engine the new supra will get. I'm not even sure if we're talking about new or old. So please excuse me for dismissing the point. I just don't know how to approach it since I don't have enough info to agree or disagree with you. Right now its all speculations.
the power isnt any more speculation than the weight, price, or tech level so it was just a little confusing. its all good though. i just wonder follow suit of the gtr or the rx8/370z. all of those cars were basically in the same class in the 90s but there have been some significant changes.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:44 PM   #60
mkivalex

Drives: 13 Scion FRS, 93 JDM Toyota Supra
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I hope its more of a 370Z competitor. I cant afford a GTR competitor
mkivalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #61
Ashybone

Drives: 97 Camry & 91 3000GT VR4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
^^^^^
Get a stock TT supra ($25k) through another $5-6k in upgrades and you have a car that's at least faster then the GTR in the 1/4 mile lol.
Quote:
the power isnt any more speculation than the weight, price, or tech level so it was just a little confusing. its all good though. i just wonder follow suit of the gtr or the rx8/370z. all of those cars were basically in the same class in the 90s but there have been some significant changes.
All valid points. I was basing my knowledge of the new mustang off bits an pieces I've heard so far on all the forums I frequent. Honestly, most of the time it was people making fun of the mustang since I only go to Mitsubishi and Toyota Forums. But this article:

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...st-first-ride/

Seems to sum up alot of details. And of coarse the weight is TBA but at least it gives us an idea. I really don't see how a new supra would be slower than the turbo model seeing how the TT Supra back in the early 90's was at 300Hp. So I figured it would be faster then the base and the eco bost, and MAYBE as fast as the V8. I don't know if Ford is going to be bringing back the 5.0 engine though. But still i'm pretty sure a 20XX Supra would be faster then at least 2 of the Mustang trim packages.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #62
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
If you have a MKIV keep it. Just my advice being an owner myself. If you want a FR-S then save up and get one as it is probably my favorite DD ever (even over my IS300). As for selling your Supra, don't do it! It's not like you can just go out and grab another one if you change your mind. I guess it also depends on what trim you have. If it's a TT targa top then hell no to selling.
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #63
blackhawkdown

Drives: 2012 WRX, 2003 RSX Type S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
saying they wanted to add weight to improve handling is like saying people wear condoms to improve sex.
can i steal this as my signature, i can't stop laughing!
blackhawkdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #64
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkdown View Post
can i steal this as my signature, i can't stop laughing!
Feel free
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #65
sofrsnsokleen
GEARS!!???

Drives: raven black 2013 scion fr-s
Location: the southeast side of san antonio, where the players play!
the mkiv supra will forever have a cult status, especially after the 1st fast and furious movie was released. Yes it had a cult following well before that, but i'm sure people who had no idea what a supra was, discovered it thru that movie.

You can't really compare the 2 cars though, the supra was more in line with the 3000gt, 300z, and mustang gt/camaro

The fr-s is and always will be a niche car because of its smaller size and lower powered engine and pricing, most people will either buy something in the 20k price range or pony up 30k+ for something more powerful.

A decent majority aren't going to have the budget or know how to mod the car to be 300+ hp.
sofrsnsokleen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sofrsnsokleen For This Useful Post:
m.box.design (05-22-2014), MokSpeed (05-22-2014), vh_supra26 (05-22-2014)
Old 05-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #66
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkivalex View Post
I hope its more of a C7 competitor. I cant afford a GTR competitor
Fixed
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #67
sofrsnsokleen
GEARS!!???

Drives: raven black 2013 scion fr-s
Location: the southeast side of san antonio, where the players play!
Any mark iv owners wanna swap for my '13 fr-s?

I'm down, lmao
sofrsnsokleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:02 PM   #68
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
You guys are funny,...

You guys do realize that the standard mkiv supra was SLOWER than the FRS stock???? and an frs running the same boost as the turbo mkiv is substantially faster than the twin turbo unmodified without running crazy amounts of boost or with huge turbos????

Jaden

mkiv supra supposed to be the godsend of all cars, and it's 500-700 lbs heaver and hardly more powerful than the FRS lol
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #69
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
You guys do realize that the standard mkiv supra was SLOWER than the FRS stock???? and an frs running the same boost as the turbo mkiv is substantially faster than the twin turbo unmodified without running crazy amounts of boost or with huge turbos????

Jaden

mkiv supra supposed to be the godsend of all cars, and it's 500-700 lbs heaver and hardly more powerful than the FRS lol
Generally when someone is referring to Supra performance, they explicitly mean the turbo and not the na version.

Why are we comparing a modded twin to a non-modded Supra Turbo now? I mean, if you want to go down that route sure. Take all the parts available for each and build a 2JZ-GTE as much as you can versus a FA20. See which one breaks first.

Who ever said that the Supra was the godsend of all cars? That's obviously the Prius.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to n2oinferno For This Useful Post:
Guff (09-16-2014), hypercarfanatic (09-16-2014), Jrryjms07 (08-24-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #70
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I'm not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
Generally when someone is referring to Supra performance, they explicitly mean the turbo and not the na version.

Why are we comparing a modded twin to a non-modded Supra Turbo now? I mean, if you want to go down that route sure. Take all the parts available for each and build a 2JZ-GTE as much as you can versus a FA20. See which one breaks first.

Who ever said that the Supra was the godsend of all cars? That's obviously the Prius.
I'm comparing a turbo twin, to a turbo supra. and a na supra to a na twin...

Yeah, and I compared an FA20 in an FRS at the SAME boost level as the twin turbo Supra... no other mods on either and FA20 has the internals of a NA motor and the comparison STILL doesn't even compare.

you're looking at about 320crank hp or 265 WHP on the supra weighing many hundreds of lbs more and about 330whp on the FRS at the same boost level weighing several hundred lbs less. It's not even comparable as a platform. Now if you wanna look at both of them truly modified, it's STILL not comparable, because you can do a 2jz swap in the FRS and still be several hundred lbs lighter...

no one is buying a supra without it being modified or having the intention to modify it, but everywhere I look people complain that people are modifying the twins or that they weren't made for this or that.

The twins were made to tune... They are awesome for that...

so go tune them to whatever you want them to do... and have fun... These cars are super fun...no matter what you do.

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote