follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #57
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
A test of some premo winter tires here for 2018 model tireS. Interesting first place result as I haven't heard of that model of continental tire.
The Michelin x-ice scored low on this list due to poor ice performance comparatively. I found that funny.

http://www.skstuds.ca/2019/02/14/201...ed-by-the-naf/
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Keep scrolling. They provide a seperate studless review below with 8 tires.
Snipped for the end result.

Continental VikingContact 7 – 91.3 points
Pirelli Ice Zero Fr – 90.6 points
Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice 2 – 90.6 points
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 – 90.3 points
Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 – 88.4 points
Hankook Winter I*Cept IZ2 – 88.1 points
Michelin X-Ice XI3 – 87.5 points
Nokian Nordman RS2 – 86.6 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. It may be different up here in Canada but I looked at some Michelin A/S 3's at Costco this evening and they had the M+S rating. Tire guy there said all of their "all season" tires have the M+S rating...
So I guess I'll give them a whirl !
Tests like this fail miserably because they never test the "studded" tires without studs, and they should.

General Altimax Artics that I use are technically "studded," but you don't actually need to put studs in them, and most of the US it isn't worth it because the laws are absurd, and who the heck would take the time to take out the studs?
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #58
guitarman

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Well over on my side of Canada they don’t have the symbols on the tires. That said they would probably be great if you are on the island or coast. If you are inland or actually do mountain roads in the winter they will let you down. They are a great three season tire but struggle in dep snow or extreme cold.
Yup, I am on Vancouver Island.

The Pilot Sport a/s definitely don’t have the snowflakes or mountain symbols but on the inner edge they have a very small m s lettering, which the Costco Tire guy says is all that’s legally required here! Not planning on driving in the snow, just driving on typical 7 degree rainy days and 10 degree clear days during the next 6 months!
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #59
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
Yup, I am on Vancouver Island.

The Pilot Sport a/s definitely don’t have the snowflakes or mountain symbols but on the inner edge they have a very small m s lettering, which the Costco Tire guy says is all that’s legally required here! Not planning on driving in the snow, just driving on typical 7 degree rainy days and 10 degree clear days during the next 6 months!
The MS rating is not the same as the higher rating even in Canada. There represent two totally different levels of snow performance. That said they will be a great tire for your needs. If you get deep snow or abnormally low temperatures just be very careful.
guitarman (12-21-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #60
Frye

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Winter tire recommendation:

General Altimax Arctic, without studs. Not the absolute best, but very good performance at low price.

I drove on these for 5 years in northern MN, without studs. 6 months of freezing temps; as low as -25 deg F. Will slaughter an all-season tire below freezing.
Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:17 PM   #61
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
Best tires for LA winter

Bridgestone RE-71R

Drive these well below california freezing; as low as 70 deg F in the worst of winter and they grip great.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:00 PM   #62
guitarman

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The MS rating is not the same as the higher rating even in Canada. There represent two totally different levels of snow performance. That said they will be a great tire for your needs. If you get deep snow or abnormally low temperatures just be very careful.
Thanks for the great advice tcoat.

If we get any snow, it usually only lasts a day. I’ll walk to work if/when that day comes.

If these tires are good for rain and the odd frosty morning, that should be good enough for me! I hope they are noticeably better than the primacy hp tires. And hoping they are a little quieter too! :-)
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, winter