follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
ill roller

Drives: BRZ/E30/IS300/LS400
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Stance Super Sport coilover install/review

I've only had my car 2 weeks, but as far as I'm concerned that's two weeks too long to be riding around on stock suspension... It's not that the car didn't ride fantastic from the factory, because it did, but I can't stand the look of wheelgap.

A few days after I picked my BRZ up I started researching coilovers. I've owned lots of different coilovers in the past, Ground control, Tein, and H&R. And I've driven/rode in lots of friend's cars with Megan, KW, Bilstein, Moton, Fortune, etc. As of lately though, my last few cars I've run Stance GR+ or Stance Super Sports on, and loved them, as seen here:

Prior to using Stance coilovers on these cars, I was a huge supporter of Tein Monoflex coilovers because they rode great, and handled even better. The downside was that they didn't ever go as low as I wanted without getting rid of some of the preload on the springs, which in turn ruined the ride and the handling that I loved them for... This was one of the biggest things that got me interested in Stance coilovers, everyone that I knew who had used them said they went LOW and retained a good ride... And it turned out they did. It also didn't hurt that Stance is a company that is local to me, which meant that their already great customer service would be even better since I could deal with them face to face.

So when the time came to pull the trigger on coilovers for this car, the Stance Super Sports were at the top of my list. I would have loved some KW v3's, but the cost was out of my budget, and the car is just my daily driver/occasional drift car, so I wanted something that would improve handling, let me slam the car, and keep the ride as close to stock as possible. There were other options that were cheaper, and other options that may have looked as good on paper for the same money, but past experiece, and my trust for Stance to both make and stand behind a quality product meant that they were getting return business from me... It also doesn't hurt that they had them in stock, and I went to pick them up in person instead of having to deal with some shady 3rd party business and wait for shipping.

As for the coilovers themselves, their rates are 6K front and 6K rear, 15-way dampening adjustable, inverted monotube, adjustable camber plates, and they come with adjustable swaybar endlinks to avoid binding once the car is lowered.

So, on with the install:

BRZ Stance Coilover Install by AJ Gillett, on Flickr

The stock rear suspension was a piece of cake to remove on this car for anyone that's done coilovers before. One bolt on the bottom, two up top, and once everything is unbolted you either have to unbolt the control arm or have someone of a decent weight stand on the hub to get the stock suspension free. There is one piece of very important information that I wish I had known ahead of time though. On the drivers side of the trunk there's a trunk pop button on the liner that needs to be unplugged in order to peel the liner away enough to get to the suspension bolts. If you unplug this, DO NOT CLOSE YOUR TRUNK. I lucked out that I had the taillights out of the car to paint them, because I closed the trunk, and could not get it to open until I reached in the tail light hole and pulled the emergency release.

Stock parts coming out:

The two side by side:

That's with the coilover at max low by adjusting the lower mount, but with a good amount of preload on the spring. I could probably reduce the preload a bit without drooping the springs and get the car to sit lower still.

And the coilovers are in just as easy as they came out, just slip them in, tighten three bolts, and you're done:

The front was a little bit trickier, but still a very straightforward removal/install. Three nuts on the strut towers, two attaching the coilover to the knuckle, a swaybar endlink, and a series of bolts and clips attaching brake lines and wiring to the coilover. I was warned by the guys at Stance that the clips would be somewhat annoying to remove in one piece, but even that didn't prove to be too much hassle.

Here are the front coilovers with the adjustable swaybar endlinks. I opted to not put these all the way down since I wanted to avoid rubbing with the tire size I currently have.

Installing the fronts went as seemlessly as the factory stuff came out. At this height it was a two man job to get the knuckle to line up with the coilovers. All of the holes for the bolts and clips lined up perfectly, and popped right in. The swaybar endlinks left me scratching my head for a minute. They were both set to the same length, but once the endlink was installed on one side, the other wouldn't line up. We realized that there was load on the sway bar, and we had to jack up the opposite side up to get the holes to line up... And just like that, the job was done. I was really impressed with the ease that everything fit back together in front even with the coilovers this low. I figured at a certain height things may start to not line up so good, but I guess they planned for people like me.

Complete!

Having been driving on these for the last couple days, I couldn't be happier. More than anything I'm blown away by the ride, especially at this height. It rides about as good as stock over normal bumps and such, over really big bumps you can feel that it's more firm, but it is by no means going to shatter your hip like some coilovers I've driven on. Handling feels great from what I've felt so far, but I also have a wheel/tire change to take into account, so I can't be sure how much the coilovers are doing, and how much the bigger tires are doing. Regardless, the car feels much more flat around turns, and much more planted with quick direction changes. It seems very ideal for someone like me that just wants to street drive with occasional track days... They may not be the ultimate performer, but not everyone wants that. What's important is that no one attribute of the car's suspension has been comprimized in order to make another better. They feel awesome, they seem to handle great, and they go nice and low.
Ammunition (12-21-2015), Baldoak (05-12-2015), buzznasa (07-22-2013), camelflage (12-12-2012), clickfiveZ (12-19-2012), Evilbrz151 (12-19-2012), giraffee (01-16-2013), Guff (12-11-2012), hippari (12-20-2012), ijuliusx (10-15-2013), JPxM0Dz (12-14-2012), larryw (12-13-2012), lucchesi423 (08-16-2013), Mark Slide Squad (12-19-2012), melon (08-31-2013), NJA (12-13-2012), Rayme (12-13-2012), RRnold (12-13-2012), TouchMyHonda (12-12-2012), Touge Factory (12-11-2012), vividracing (10-08-2014), whataboutbob (01-01-2013), wlwarfield (11-18-2013)
Old 12-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Looking great. We got these in as well and really like the quality and ride.
FT-86 SpeedFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FT-86 SpeedFactory For This Useful Post:
Touge Factory (12-11-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
Jwong

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
how low can you go?
Jwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #4
*KID*
86-er

Drives: BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wow man looks great.

Wheel and Tire specs?

How much did you get the Coilovers for? you can PM me
Old 12-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
ill roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86 SpeedFactory View Post
Looking great. We got these in as well and really like the quality and ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwong View Post
how low can you go?
Not low enough just yet, but we'll see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KID* View Post
Wow man looks great.

Wheel and Tire specs?

How much did you get the Coilovers for? you can PM me
18x9.5 +38 all around. Currently has 225/40/18 in front and 255/35/18 in back, but I'll be moving the front tires to the rear and putting either 215/40/18 or 225/35/18 in front.

Coilovers MSRP is $1435... Hit up FT-86 Speedfactory, I believe they're offering them at a discounted price.
FT-86 SpeedFactory (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
flipm3

Drives: BMW M3
Great review and as always, nice photos!

I had the Stance GR+/Super Sports on my E46 M3 and former G35. The guys at Stance USA are always a pleasure to work with.
flipm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
NemeGuero
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Did you set the endlink length to the OEM length?

If not, how did you decide what length to adjust them too?
NemeGuero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Excellent writeup! I'm sure the member who posted a poll for a DD looking for coilvers could benefit from your post.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
ill roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemeGuero View Post
Did you set the endlink length to the OEM length?

If not, how did you decide what length to adjust them too?
No, I put the coilover and adjusted the endlink so that it was a couple mm short of fitting, then lifted the hub and slipped it in... Gotta keep a little tension on them.
NemeGuero (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
NJA

Drives: Supercharged Saturn ION
very informative post and nice pics
NJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Drives: Lexus IS-F Series 2
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,246 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Great review! Awesome pics and nice looking coilovers
Old 12-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
wow these look and sound great, great price too. very tempting.
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Wow. Interesting price for sure...I might have to put those on my first mods list.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #14
crildz

Drives: frs or brz
Stance coilovers are the best bang for buck coilover on the market currently
crildz is offline   Reply With Quote