follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 09-28-2019, 04:57 AM   #71
Skyehigh55

Drives: 2017 Pure Red BRZ w/ Perf Package
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedrops View Post
For a typical set of mid range coilovers, how much more "suspension distance" can we get away with as displayed by this tool? Any estimates?
I see people running +45's fine with coilovers whereas about +38 is about the limit for stock spring perches so that means that coilovers do provide about a 7mm clearance. Sadly the calculator doesn't have an option with coilovers for calculations but that might be because coilovers might have different clearances depending on the brand(never know). I'd say a good 7-10mm distance from +38 is the maximum. Although someone was able to fit an 18x9.5 +50 on coilovers but he was also running huge stretch with 225 wheels and -2 camber. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63769
Skyehigh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:43 AM   #72
Firedrops

Drives: MY15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyehigh55 View Post
I see people running +45's fine with coilovers whereas about +38 is about the limit for stock spring perches so that means that coilovers do provide about a 7mm clearance. Sadly the calculator doesn't have an option with coilovers for calculations but that might be because coilovers might have different clearances depending on the brand(never know). I'd say a good 7-10mm distance from +38 is the maximum. Although someone was able to fit an 18x9.5 +50 on coilovers but he was also running huge stretch with 225 wheels and -2 camber. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63769
Thanks! I've seen +44/45 too, but didn't know that +38 was for clearance reasons. I thought +38 was to push it out a bit to get a 'flush' look. So coils giving +7 sounds reasonable. The post you linked on +50 seems to mention some spacers to make it functionally +30, so that's probably why the need for huge cambers.
Firedrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:20 AM   #73
Skyehigh55

Drives: 2017 Pure Red BRZ w/ Perf Package
Quote:
Thanks! I've seen +44/45 too, but didn't know that +38 was for clearance reasons. I thought +38 was to push it out a bit to get a 'flush' look. So coils giving +7 sounds reasonable. The post you linked on +50 seems to mention some spacers to make it functionally +30, so that's probably why the need for huge cambers.
On a 9.5 wheel, +38 is the limit with camber and an inch drop because it pushes the wheel out where it mounts. A great example of this is people running 18x9.5 Gram Light 57CR's with 245/35/18 tires while dropped an inch. The clearance is about or less than 3mm on stock suspension (with lowering springs).

Due to the decrease in spring perch diameter when making the move to coilovers, it opens vast options for wheel choices and aggressive wheel setups since 9.5 seems to be the go-to for a lot of people.

I'm still on stock suspension as of now but will eventually make the move to coilovers and 9.5 wide wheels. Playing around with the calculator really helps me by using stock suspension as a reference. The popular 18x9.5 wide wheel will comfortably fit coilovers at +45 offset using the calculator and giving yourself about a 7-10mm buffer. Glad to help fellow 86 driver!
Skyehigh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:23 AM   #74
Firedrops

Thanks again for your help. With those specs, the online calculator is still showing a 'flush distance' of +17mm. Is it just overestimating the poke?

To get it to 0mm, camber has to be adjusted to -3.1. I don't think that many people are really running such aggressive cambers?

EDIT: I'm actually tempted to push it a bit further to 18x10 +40...
a few reports here
staggered offset and tyre width, lowered quite a bit
Attached Images

Last edited by Firedrops; 09-29-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:09 AM   #75
Firedrops

@dominicpadawan looks like you just updated the calculator with coilovers clearance if a value is picked for the coilover! Cool!

Just wondering if you have a place where you publish updates and changelogs?
Old 10-12-2019, 09:53 PM   #76
dominicpadawan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Argento
Quote:
@dominicpadawan looks like you just updated the calculator with coilovers clearance if a value is picked for the coilover! Cool!

Just wondering if you have a place where you publish updates and changelogs?
Hi, the updates are published in this thread on previous pages. But I don't plan to release other updates because the calculator seems to be complete, it's been a while since nobody asked for modifications.

Thank you
dominicpadawan is offline   Reply With Quote