follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #309
Atmo

Drives: TBA
Thanked 1,123 Times in 586 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
If the Cali guys have a dip meet then it is almost guaranteed they would have chips.
And they never once bitched about torque dip.

Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 04:34 PM   #310
corry29

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Miata Is Always The Answer

Has anyone said that yet?
Tcoat (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #311
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Love too but I am stuck on the Woodstock on ramp at the 401. It is only half a kilometer long so there is no hope I will be able to merge. A Geo Metro just had to go around me!
I stopped going to work altogether to avoid merging onto the highway in the morning. I would drive to the Miata dealer but I have to use the highway to get there. So.

Yes, Miatas have their own dealers. They're that good.

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NARFALICIOUS For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (03-20-2019), Docdoc (03-19-2019), HachiRokuX (03-19-2019), soundman98 (03-19-2019), Tcoat (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 07:34 PM   #312
MrDinkleman

Drives: 2016 Oceanic, "base" model
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
If the Cali guys have a dip meet then it is almost guaranteed they would have chips.

Hmmm... this is an interesting pic. My recollection of CHiPs was that Eric Estrada always wore the tight shirts and pants to show off his muscles while his partner and the sergeant wore loose fitting clothes. But they're switched here. I wonder when (relative to the tv seasons) this promo shot was taken...
MrDinkleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #313
Go Frogs

Drives: '19 WRX Base in Lapis Blue
Garage
edit: I guess I missed it on page 18-19 where the OP bought the car...

I too have been asking myself similar questions, but against a VW Alltrack/GSW4mo (both 6spd).

I wonder if the OP knows the BRZ/86 has as almost as much torque as the (now defunct) RX-8 (159 lb⋅ft (216 N⋅m) of torque @ 5,500) and the RX-8 was praised for being balanced, smooth, and a great handling car, but also accused of being slow and a dog around town.

I believe the BRZ/86 will drive just fine, and any deficiencies in the torque department can be figured out and the car driven appropriately to mitigate the lower torque numbers.

Personally, power issues can be more overlooked more so than the physical aspects of the car, like space/storage, as the engine is more easily modified (If the owner wishes) than adding usable space the car without plopping a roof rack on top.

And, from my own experiences, in the end, how does the car make you feel when you drive it matters the most than anything in or on the car. Fast or slow, small or large; if the car makes you feel happy and you smile when you drive it (I see many frowns and unhappy faces in other cars), then the car is the right car, regardless of what it does or does not have.

I'm happy driving my 15yo GTI, even though it's been dubbed (no pun intended) the worst GTI in the history of GTIs (due to weight/power).

I'd probably be happy flogging a Mazda 2 (5spd), Honda Fit (6spd), or a base MINI Cooper (6spd) because I could drive them to their maximum and not really be going that fast, but the experience of wringing them out (like a racecar) would quell some of the mundane aspects of each car.

I see people buying cars for the appliance aspect and/or resale, but I don't see many people buying the car for the fun aspect or the driving experience while they own it and are more concerned with what they'll get out of it when they are done with it.

In the end, get the car that makes you feel the best. Embrace its faults as that is what gives that car its character and contributes to the driving aspect.

The Miata flops side to side in the corners, the BRZ/86 has a dip in torque, the Boxster has a turbo-4 and is 'numb', the new Supra is a BMW, etc, etc. Every car has a compromise and in the end, sometimes you just have to let it go and choose with your heart or passion.

I'm still in the air with the BRZ and the Alltrack. Each car has their pluses and minuses and are about the same price. In the end, what do I want most out of the next car I buy, that is the question I need to answer for myself.

What do you want out of the BRZ/86? MX-5 (Miata)?

Dear SoA, what petition do I need to sign to bring the LeVorg 2.0t 6spd to North America?
Go Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Go Frogs For This Useful Post:
Larphraulen (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 02:52 PM   #314
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Love too but I am stuck on the Woodstock on ramp at the 401. It is only half a kilometer long so there is no hope I will be able to merge. A Geo Metro just had to go around me!
downshift you fool!
learn 2 torque dip!
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #315
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
downshift you fool!
learn 2 torque dip!
Can't downshift. In first. Hit dip and can't get revs up high enough to get into second. I have been here 20 hours now. No food or water. Not sure how much longer I can last. There is a Yugo honking as he passes me.

Please send help!

bkharmony (03-20-2019), why? (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #316
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
help is on the way

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NARFALICIOUS For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #317
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
help is on the way
He will flash by so fast he won't even see me.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:08 PM   #318
bkharmony

Drives: 2017 86GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Can't downshift. In first. Hit dip and can't get revs up high enough to get into second. I have been here 20 hours now. No food or water. Not sure how much longer I can last. There is a Yugo honking as he passes me.

Please send help!
Stuck in a Torque Dip Dichotomy Paradox.
bkharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bkharmony For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 04:27 PM   #319
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkharmony View Post
Stuck in a Torque Dip Dichotomy Paradox.
The car is a momentum car, and as such needs momentum to move.
But there is torque dip and if you fall within the torque dip parameters momentum is lost.
But to get out of torque dip the car needs power and lots of it and thus it needs to be moving, and thus it needs momentum.
But you cannot get moving if you are stuck in torque dip.....

Such a paradox indeed.

I suggest all new drivers to this vehicle watch and learn using the FRS secret training video: Speed.

The car is represented (speedwise) accurately by a bus full of people and the torque dip is accurately represented by the fact that the bus will blow up if drop to 50MPH or below.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (03-20-2019), Tcoat (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 04:31 PM   #320
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,239 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:

I suggest all new drivers to this vehicle watch and learn using the FRS secret training video: Speed.
Attached Images

Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #321
Larphraulen

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ 6m; 2012 VW GLI 6m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Frogs View Post
edit: I guess I missed it on page 18-19 where the OP bought the car...

I too have been asking myself similar questions, but against a VW Alltrack/GSW4mo (both 6spd).

I wonder if the OP knows the BRZ/86 has as almost as much torque as the (now defunct) RX-8 (159 lb⋅ft (216 N⋅m) of torque @ 5,500) and the RX-8 was praised for being balanced, smooth, and a great handling car, but also accused of being slow and a dog around town.

I believe the BRZ/86 will drive just fine, and any deficiencies in the torque department can be figured out and the car driven appropriately to mitigate the lower torque numbers.

Personally, power issues can be more overlooked more so than the physical aspects of the car, like space/storage, as the engine is more easily modified (If the owner wishes) than adding usable space the car without plopping a roof rack on top.

And, from my own experiences, in the end, how does the car make you feel when you drive it matters the most than anything in or on the car. Fast or slow, small or large; if the car makes you feel happy and you smile when you drive it (I see many frowns and unhappy faces in other cars), then the car is the right car, regardless of what it does or does not have.

I'm happy driving my 15yo GTI, even though it's been dubbed (no pun intended) the worst GTI in the history of GTIs (due to weight/power).

I'd probably be happy flogging a Mazda 2 (5spd), Honda Fit (6spd), or a base MINI Cooper (6spd) because I could drive them to their maximum and not really be going that fast, but the experience of wringing them out (like a racecar) would quell some of the mundane aspects of each car.

I see people buying cars for the appliance aspect and/or resale, but I don't see many people buying the car for the fun aspect or the driving experience while they own it and are more concerned with what they'll get out of it when they are done with it.

In the end, get the car that makes you feel the best. Embrace its faults as that is what gives that car its character and contributes to the driving aspect.

The Miata flops side to side in the corners, the BRZ/86 has a dip in torque, the Boxster has a turbo-4 and is 'numb', the new Supra is a BMW, etc, etc. Every car has a compromise and in the end, sometimes you just have to let it go and choose with your heart or passion.

I'm still in the air with the BRZ and the Alltrack. Each car has their pluses and minuses and are about the same price. In the end, what do I want most out of the next car I buy, that is the question I need to answer for myself.

What do you want out of the BRZ/86? MX-5 (Miata)?
To chime in on your dilemma, I've only recently lost interest in VWs with electronic power steering (mk5 or 6). I owned a Mk6 GLI up until 3 weeks ago. Had a Mk4 Jetta TDI before that.

The GLI was fast enough (as a car needs to be in FWD atleast) (and probably faster than my BRZ). It was smooth, comfy, spacious, looked good, and sounded good (audio and fake engine noise). It did everything I wanted it to until I drove the twins. Then, I realized how much car that I didn't actually need. Also realized how my driving habits had changed (compromised) to fit with the GLI -- its rev-hang, long gear spacing, relatively luxurious yet numb drive experience.

I thought I wanted refinement and practicality but truth is I just don't need it at my life stage. The twins deliver a lot more of the aspects I care about in a car while still being enough for me in the practicality, DD comfort, and hopefully reliability aspects. In general, it's more purpose-built to the things I care about in a drive. Meanwhile, VWs are great at doing everything decently well without specific purpose though.

A lot of what you wrote above resonated with me so thought I might as well share my thoughts as a former owner of a modern VW.
Larphraulen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larphraulen For This Useful Post:
Go Frogs (03-21-2019), humfrz (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 04:44 PM   #322
bkharmony

Drives: 2017 86GT
Quote:
The car is a momentum car, and as such needs momentum to move.
But there is torque dip and if you fall within the torque dip parameters momentum is lost.
But to get out of torque dip the car needs power and lots of it and thus it needs to be moving, and thus it needs momentum.
But you cannot get moving if you are stuck in torque dip.....

Such a paradox indeed.

The car is represented (speedwise) accurately by a bus full of people and the torque dip is accurately represented by the fact that the bus will blow up if drop to 50MPH or below.
bkharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bkharmony For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-20-2019), Tokay444 (03-20-2019)