follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 08-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #16941
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Hmm... Carbon fiber lip kit? Maybe... Carbon fiber trim/spoiler to go with? Or stay color-matched? *Thinkthinkthink*
Old 08-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #16942
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
I know they can do powder metallurgy with it (I've seen selective laser sintering with Ti, if they can do selective laser melting with it then they can probably powder forge it), so maybe. But I don't know how they deal with the gas absorbing problem. If there are fluxes and/or deoxidizers in the powder or if they need to do it in an inert chamber.

That would save a lot of the machining problems, but that doesn't mean the new process isn't still freaking expensive.

Selective Laser Melting (3d printing with metal) gives me a major tech boner.
Never heard of fluxes, I'm guessing they do it in a argon atmosphere?

I think the cost in Ti is the super high amount of energy required more than anything else, so 3d printing would probably not work so well.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #16943
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Never heard of fluxes, I'm guessing they do it in a argon atmosphere?

I think the cost in Ti is the super high amount of energy required more than anything else, so 3d printing would probably not work so well.
They could do it in vacuum, too. Laser doesn't need an electrically conductive medium like arc welding.

The 3d printing of sintered Ti has been used for a while now to make medical and dental implants. The fact that sintering isn't 100% density is probably an advantage there so bone can grow into the parts or something.

With selective laser melting/fusing, they are fully melting the powder so the parts are 100% density, basically the same as cast. I've seen Inconel parts made this way.

I'm guessing that Ti could be SLM printed as well, which would be awesome. However part size and machine prices are not where I would like them to be. Heh...

Because titanium.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #16944
wrxgoose
WUB WUB

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Thanked 1,573 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
They could do it in vacuum, too. Laser doesn't need an electrically conductive medium like arc welding.

The 3d printing of sintered Ti has been used for a while now to make medical and dental implants. The fact that sintering isn't 100% density is probably an advantage there so bone can grow into the parts or something.

With selective laser melting/fusing, they are fully melting the powder so the parts are 100% density, basically the same as cast. I've seen Inconel parts made this way.

I'm guessing that Ti could be SLM printed as well, which would be awesome. However part size and machine prices are not where I would like them to be. Heh...
I'd think that needing to do it in a vacuum chamber, + all the support that means would make it expensive as hell, wouldn't it?
Old 08-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #16945
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Crowded traffic. So the state decides to build another bridge. Bigger, wider, more lanes. And the possibility (since it is 6ft away from the old bride) that each bridge will be for one way traffic...

Nope they tore down the other bridge and the only difference it they added a shoulder on the new one. Hooray for re-establishing the same traffic flow (or lack of.)
Old 08-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #16946
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxgoose View Post
I'd think that needing to do it in a vacuum chamber, + all the support that means would make it expensive as hell, wouldn't it?
I think a fully purged argon chamber would be cheaper because it doesn't need the better/stronger sealing that vacuum needs. But I think that aerospace does electron beam welding in vacuum because of higher quality, maybe? And the powder is probably fancy and expensive, too.

I still think that they can do it in normal atmosphere if they include fluxes and deoxidizers in the powder. The lasers can do fancy things really quickly with how they pulse. A flux just floats on top to provide a physical barrier from atmosphere when the metal melts, but leaves a slag on top when cool. Laser could be setup to fire different strength and duration. First pulse is set up to melt the metal and flux. It cools leaving metal under slag. Second pulse is set up to vaporize just the slag on top, leaving just the pure metal for the next powder layer to cover. Something like that.

Edit:

@serialk11r

Did I read above about you saying positive things about the 2GR? I thought I mentioned before that there is a member on here that has/had a 2GR-swapped Spyder and you were all 'meh'?

Was it @Rampage ?

Because titanium.

Last edited by Dimman; 08-24-2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: edit:
Old 08-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #16947
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Damn it! Song "Sail" stuck in my head...
Old 08-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #16948
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:

@serialk11r

Did I read above about you saying positive things about the 2GR? I thought I mentioned before that there is a member on here that has/had a 2GR-swapped Spyder and you were all 'meh'?

Was it @Rampage ?
I think Rampage has the 2ZZ swapped Spyder, the person with the the 2GR is uspspro. I think?

I don't like the 2GR stock, that's for sure. In a Spyder, it's too much power for my taste. In a bigger car like the Evora, let that thing spin to 8000 and then we're talking.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #16949
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Drives: ~.~
Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,249 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
That was me last week i swear

The Following User Says Thank You to Kelbyat07 For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (08-25-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #16950
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
I think Rampage has the 2ZZ swapped Spyder, the person with the the 2GR is uspspro. I think?

I don't like the 2GR stock, that's for sure. In a Spyder, it's too much power for my taste. In a bigger car like the Evora, let that thing spin to 8000 and then we're talking.
I want a Spyder with a 2ZZ or 2GR now.

I'm pretty sick of my clutch in the Supra. It was selected for when the the car is tuned to take advantage of the turbo's 400whp capability. So now I have worse than normal lag, a heavy and grabby clutch, finicky idle and tip-in at low rpm and only about 300whp.

If I get the standalone and tune, I lose the idle and tip in issue, gain 100whp, but still have the unpleasant clutch and lag.

A 2GR Spyder with D4-S (not sure if that works with a transverse layout, though) ends up with only very slightly worse power-weight, better handling and fuel economy, stock engine/clutch drivability and no lag.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda...

Because titanium.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #16951
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:

Ssshhh child. We'll learn you yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
Dimman (08-24-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #16952
wrxgoose
WUB WUB

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Thanked 1,573 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
we can dance if we want to,
we can leave your friends behind.
because your friends don't dance and if they don't dance well
they're no friends of mine
Old 08-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #16953
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
I want a Spyder with a 2ZZ or 2GR now.

I'm pretty sick of my clutch in the Supra. It was selected for when the the car is tuned to take advantage of the turbo's 400whp capability. So now I have worse than normal lag, a heavy and grabby clutch, finicky idle and tip-in at low rpm and only about 300whp.

If I get the standalone and tune, I lose the idle and tip in issue, gain 100whp, but still have the unpleasant clutch and lag.

A 2GR Spyder with D4-S (not sure if that works with a transverse layout, though) ends up with only very slightly worse power-weight, better handling and fuel economy, stock engine/clutch drivability and no lag.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda...
Can't get the 2GR-FSE in transverse, can't get the 2GR-FSE in manual. But the 2GR-FE is not actually that much worse. The fuel economy is interesting, Toyota increased the low torque efficiency of the 2GR-FE so much that it is more efficient at the same loads than the older MZ/JZ engines I believe, while having more displacement.

A 2GR Spyder would have a 40-60ish weight distribution, it would hook up the rear tires pretty well. Lotus lets them rev up to 7200rpm with the sport button, meaning you could likely drop in some slightly bigger cams that make peak power at 6500 or so and get over 300hp (probably want a standalone to unlock more horses though as the stock ECU probably dumps way too much fuel down the exhaust at high rpm). Actually speaking of rich AFRs, I wonder if using E25-30 increases horsepower on a stock vehicle because I think ethanol is supposed to do better when running ultra rich than gasoline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Ssshhh child. We'll learn you yet.
lol. I mainly say that because in 1st gear the clutch springs get loaded up just from letting off on the throttle a tiny bit, even with my shit Primewell rear tires. It's extremely uncomfortable. I think a 2ZZ would make me happy, though I would get the cams regrinded for less low rpm torque for the same reason. Not hard to hit 5000rpm and get the real power.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #16954
S2kphile
Resident HoneyBadger

Drives: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Waldo is back! Oh how this forum has grown.

Walk like a King, Be like a Sir, Swag it out like a Boss
The Following User Says Thank You to S2kphile For This Useful Post:
M-17 (08-26-2013)
Closed Thread

Tags
221whp, :popcorn:, autobahnned, bringbackthebutts, brucelee, chucknorris, cutiepiepoppoppocorn, docking and snoodling, don'tbesadintotheocean, epic funnies, everyoneignoresmyposts, fuck yeah, funny thread tag, go_a_way1 was here, go_a_waycopiedspecialk, hey youse guys!, hoonigans, i am supreme., i like chocolate milk, i like to poop a lot, i like turtles, ichitaco, insertjokehere, invadethistread39erstyle, kr-s have my babies, kr-s is a faaggot, kr-s is a loser, mythbeliever, myunclesaid..., only the strong survive, postheredontbotherashrink, rules_of_nature, sklimo liked it, skylineislyfe, special_k was here, tagageddon 2016, thetagofreason, titsorgtfo, troz, whathappenedtothetags?