follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-12-2015, 06:02 PM   #1
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mechanic zen

I can't be the only one who feels like this.

The world is increasing complex, impersonal, violent and aggravating. People have to have a place to relax or a thing to do that brings them a moment of peace and/or some semblance of sense. A hobby, a great chair in the quiet part of the house, a hitchhiker in the trunk to dismember. Oh, perhaps I took that a bit to far.

Anyway.... I started working on an old motorcycle I used to ride a lot and for several reasons, mostly whiny bitched up contrived ones I formulated I left it stuck ina storage space for years and stopped riding. It was depressing and seeing it there when I would go to the box would be yet another itch in my brain to add to the external irritants I deal with on the daily. Happily, I managed to create a reason to pull myself out of my funk and pull it out.

There is a ton of things to do, but they are all within my time, budget and ability to do so in a rare moment in this crazy world I am presented with a situation that is 100% in my power to influence. What a nice change!

As I started to wrench on this crusty little machine all my tension started to melt. That BS at work earlier in the day faded into the background. The concerns I had about other things on my plate and/or coming due were temporarily forgotten. It was just me and this motorcycle.

After all the years of sitting, corroding, leaking and seizing up, the engine had managed to stay alive and after some kicking fired up and settled into a passable idle. I was not alone in this project, the bike was doing everything it could for us to succeed and just needed me to do my part. Somehow, I had manged to force myself to make the time to do it. We were getting started and it looks like it's going to be cool when it's done and I will be back on the road again.

I haven't been as calm, content and energized as I was spinning wrenches and whistling alone, not a care in the world. DAM, I miss that. How the hell did I forget how therapeutic it was to fix something? Oh yeah, I saddled myself with so many projects I was constantly behind on basic maintenance and repairs. I turned what I love into a "have to do" not a "want to do." That was a critical mistake.

RX7, scrapped. Sniff.

Replaced with BRZ with 5 year warranty and enough awesome off the showroom floor that I have no reason to mess with it. Smart.

Cool, but uncomfortable, rusty and highly illegal truck passing to another guy to use. Hard.

Replaced with almost new, simple, but fun five speed van with 4 years of warranty left on it and just needing a decent sound system that can carry my bike in safety and security from the weather and theives. Perfect.

So, yes, little bike. I now have time for you. Thank you for being patient with me because I didn't earn that consideration. I'll make up for it; you are going to be friggin awesome when I am done. We are going to get into all sorts of trouble like we used to.
And you, variable person who makes me want to explore homicide, you should be happy I have rediscovered the mechanic zen. When you piss me off with your stupidity, rather than punching you in the face, I'll use that energy to turn a wrench and create positivity instead of carnage.

Hmmm, maybe Jeremy Clarkson should pick up a spanner and go wrench on a car?

themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to themadscientist For This Useful Post:
bcj (03-13-2015), cjd (03-12-2015), strat61caster (03-13-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Thanks James

Yesterday and today, finally got off the sofa and am replacing by bikes broken license plate hanger that has been held on with duct tape for the last four years.

Got the tail plastics off, fixed the rat nest of too long wires/twist connectors left there by the previous owner.
Will be washing the mud and grunge out of it today and re-assembling.