follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #15
RoadKillGrill

Drives: FR-S 10 Series M/T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The lack of a garage and secondary car make it difficult.

Theft is really high where I live as well, the radio was stolen from my MR2 twice!! Who seriously steals a radio?! Who will buy it?! Just last week the spare tire was stolen off of a coworkers Jeep in the parking lot.

Anything that isn't welded to the car has a risk of walking away so if it takes more than a single sitting in a parking lot it can't be done.
RoadKillGrill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RoadKillGrill For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #16
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I don't get the time argument. I do, however, understand the lack of facilities though like living in an apt etc.

I can change my engine/tranny/diff oil and rotate my tires in 40 minutes, basically in just the time it takes me to drive my car to and from the dealership.

As for those with kids, IMHO it's not a bad idea to use this as an opportunity to teach your kids about cars, maintenance, changing a tire etc.
SirBrass (04-29-2014), strat61caster (04-29-2014), YouLikeFresca (05-23-2014), ZionsWrath (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #17
tmcmullins

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
I don't get the time argument. I do, however, understand the lack of facilities though like living in an apt etc.

I can change my engine/tranny/diff oil and rotate my tires in 40 minutes, basically in just the time it takes me to drive my car to and from the dealership.

As for those with kids, IMHO it's not a bad idea to use this as an opportunity to teach your kids about cars, maintenance, changing a tire etc.
Time is the most valuable commodity. Once it's gone you can't get it back. It's up to each individual to spend their time the best way they know how. I used to do my own oil changes but I realize that trying to do that along with everything else I had to do on my Saturday was taking away from time for myself and family. In that sense it is worth x amount of dollars for someone else to spend x amount of time on doing my oil change. Cars may be a very important part of your life, but to someone else, it may be something completely different.
tmcmullins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tmcmullins For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 12:40 PM   #18
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
I like wrenching on my project cars, but when it comes to a car that I paid almost 30k for, I don't mind paying a little extra for an expert to handle the important stuff.

Pic related: My latest project.

funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 12:42 PM   #19
Entroper

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF GT-S, 2002 Miata LS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post

All of the things you mentioned are things that I regularly do to my own car. And things like spark plugs, wires, air filter, etc. But often, things that should be very simple end up being a huge pain in the ass.

You've moved your other car out of the garage and pulled in, jacked the car up, put it on stands. You want to change all the oils and replace an oxygen sensor. The engine and diff oil go smoothly, no problems. Then you try to do the transmission oil and discover that the fill plug nut is square, not hex, so you have to dig out your open-ended wrench. You can't get enough force applied without the wrench slipping, so you try an adjustable wrench. It still doesn't work, and you've now wasted a bunch of time and elbow grease, and you're hungry and pissed off. Not to mention, the oxygen sensor you ordered has a different length wire on it, and won't fit neatly in the loom for the original sensor wire, and you have to remove MORE stuff from the underside of the car to get to where you need to put it. After you eat lunch, you realize that the job is going to take twice as long as you originally planned for, and you have to cancel your dinner plans with your wife or friends, or leave the car jacked up overnight with the other car parked on the street and work on it Sunday morning when you wanted to chill out and watch the F1 race.

And god help you if you round off a nut, snap a bolt, or strip some threads. Now you're out a weekend AND possibly money for a tow truck, depending on what you broke, AND you have to pay to have it fixed anyway.

I really enjoy doing my own work when I can. But I also realize that my time is valuable, so I don't hesitate to use the plastic wrench.

And be careful about comparing your salary to that of a $100/hr mechanic. Can you do the job in the same amount of time he can?
Entroper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Entroper For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (04-29-2014), Lav (02-11-2019), Marchy (04-29-2014), Sportsguy83 (05-06-2014), strat61caster (04-29-2014), ZionsWrath (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 01:20 PM   #20
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Along with everything posted I'd like to echo the sentiments of the "well it's under warranty" crowd. This car is new, it attracts not only enthusiasts but buyers of new cars who often want to minimize the amount of maintenance and time spent doing anything about the car aside from driving it.

In 5 years this forum will be full to the brim with guys asking how to do things themselves because they bought this car on a budget and want to do it all on their own.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Marchy (04-29-2014), mx5 2nr (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #21
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
a wife to maintain
Pics or it didn't happen.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to husker741 For This Useful Post:
Burrcold (04-29-2014), Carlitoz3 (04-29-2014), robwbright (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #22
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
IMO that is exactly the point. Even if it takes you twice as long as a "skilled mechanic" you are gaining more than just fixing your car. You are gaining knowledge to do it again and much faster than last time, you are gaining tools, and the most important thing satisfaction. Simple example, I can change my oil faster than I could drive to and from a dealer. Is that not worth a $100 jack and stands? I think so. And that is where the rabbit hole begins.

The first time I worked on my car I tried to upgrade a rear sway bar. I didn't use a jack or anything, just laid on my back under the car. The end links stripped and I learned quickly things will never go as planned.

Then I did brakes. Got a jack, torque wrench, tool set. Realized I needed tool to compress rear brake piston. Got that. Stuck rotor screws, impact screw driver. etc etc etc

Maybe overall I'm not saved any $, or even lost $, but I'd say the combined knowledge, tools, and satisfaction I have gained from wrenching is worth it.

I try to equate it simply for people like, did your mom buy a coffee pot instead of spending $5 a day at starbucks? Did your dad buy some weights instead of joining a gym?
Old 04-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #23
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
The simple solution is not to get married, isn't it obvious?

I have more respect for the person who modded the cars themselves compared to the guy who went down the block to Midas to get it done. It really does say something.

A lot of people forget that the knowledge you learn from working on cars can be applied to many other problems that require solutions by you.

Certain things i understand. You need to port your head? Go to a machine shop. Body work? Send it to a body shop. But something like an exhaust install, coilovers and lights is something any of us can do with some patience...along with trial and error.

Also.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p75FaYGAsXk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p75FaYGAsXk[/ame]
mx5 2nr (04-29-2014), rice_classic (04-29-2014), SirBrass (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 02:02 PM   #24
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Drives: Raven GT86
Thanked 1,321 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
It's mostly time for me. I work 6 days a week and don't have time on my day off since I'm sleeping.
ZOMFGAARON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #25
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
For me it's space and capabilities.

While I don't turn a wrench for a living, I can since I have to instruct and guide those who do for a living.

When it comes to working on any car - I live in a condo and it's a NO-NO for condos. When I lived with my parents, I worked on my MR2 in their garage a good chunk of the time (changed the alternator, changed the steering wheel, changed the wiring harnesses, etc.).

Also some things require specialized tools that at the time were too expensive for me to buy once and never use again (or rent).

I don't envision myself buying a house anytime soon since the house prices are ridonkulous around Toronto so I will have to rely on a respected tuner/shop to do my work for me.

Easy stuff like replacing trim pieces or stuff I can do inconspicuously, I will probably still do but you won't see me crawling under the car in the basement parking lot.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #26
ftc~brz
Done

Drives: WRB BRZ
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,101 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Garage
I would love to do more of this stuff myself on this car, but the issues I have you stated. Even if I had a driveway I'd make more effort. But I have street parking and no way to get the car into the back yard. So I pay someone to do anything I can't/wont do out there.
ftc~brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #27
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcmullins View Post
Cars may be a very important part of your life, but to someone else, it may be something completely different.

True for me, the enthusiast with a racecar, but we're not just talking modifying and upgrading, we're talking basic maintenance too which everyone should know how to do even if they choose not to or don't have the means. IMHO, if you have the means to be teaching these lessons to your kids, you should be and they'll be better for it. I still don't see the kid argument as an excuse either, parents should involve their kids in repairs, their hobbies and in the work and maintenance of the house. It's good for them and good for the parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entroper View Post
All of the things you mentioned are things that I regularly do to my own car. And things like spark plugs, wires, air filter, etc. But often, things that should be very simple end up being a huge pain in the ass.
Boy if you aren't kidding!

But we live in the day of the internet and countless online tutorials. If you've never replaced your tranny fluid before and you're not reading a tutorial first before attempting it, then you're doing it wrong. There's a reason why the term RTFM exists. Doing that first will eliminate 95% of all difficulties and surprises. But hopefully parents have taught these important life lessons (such as reading the manual) to their children.
SirBrass (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #28
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
I like to "do it myself".

Important to know how your car works just in case. I will never let anyone else touch my car besides myself or one of my close buddies who is just as meticulous as me.

Some shops are good, but most like to half ass things as my friend and I are slowly discovering working on a few local cars for people. My buddy had an expensive set of Recaro's put into his Z06 and they scratched the hell out of the back plastic, didn't use washers on some bolts which dug into the seat brackets pulling up paint and screwing them up, and scratched his very expensive door cards.

Not saying all shops are like this, but its unfortunately more common than I'd like to imagine.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xxscaxx For This Useful Post:
STV3 (04-29-2014)