follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #29
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
But if the front brake calipers themselves are identical stock, it follows that an aftermarket replacement should work identically as well, to keep the same bias in the original vehicle would keep the same bias in the new vehicle regardless of the actual pressures involved. If the BR-Z is pumping x % less psi to the fronts, then if the calipers apply the same torque per psi then it should be fine.

Now, if the Wilwood kit is designed to be in a 4 wheel kit, then running without the rears could be an issue, or, if the rears are different on the WRX. But I'm not sure about that.

Nathan
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SubieNate For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (12-10-2014)
Old 04-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #30
Scooby South
Conedancer

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
^^^^ exactly

Bill
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #31
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post
But if the front brake calipers themselves are identical stock, it follows that an aftermarket replacement should work identically as well, to keep the same bias in the original vehicle would keep the same bias in the new vehicle regardless of the actual pressures involved. If the BR-Z is pumping x % less psi to the fronts, then if the calipers apply the same torque per psi then it should be fine.

Now, if the Wilwood kit is designed to be in a 4 wheel kit, then running without the rears could be an issue, or, if the rears are different on the WRX. But I'm not sure about that.

Nathan
First, we have different rears from the early Impreza WRX so bias is already off. I believe we have 10+ Legacy rears or something similar. Second, piston diameter (or area) was not stated by the OP. I'm sure they're on Wilwood's site, but I'm too lazy to check. Third, related to second, we would need stock piston diameter/area of our brakes...which SHOULD be the same as the Impreza, but I'm not certain.

Note: it's possible the rear piston diameter/area hasn't changed from 2003 to 2012, but I wouldn't be sure about that.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #32
ABQautoxer

Drives: 2021 Supra / 2022 Tundra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
First, we have different rears from the early Impreza WRX so bias is already off. I believe we have 10+ Legacy rears or something similar. Second, piston diameter (or area) was not stated by the OP. I'm sure they're on Wilwood's site, but I'm too lazy to check. Third, related to second, we would need stock piston diameter/area of our brakes...which SHOULD be the same as the Impreza, but I'm not certain.

Note: it's possible the rear piston diameter/area hasn't changed from 2003 to 2012, but I wouldn't be sure about that.
How about you do the math and show me facts rather than speculate? I hate just because its brakes people lose their minds about basic facts. The factory setup is terrible so convince me this is worse and thus unsafe for street use.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #33
SubieNate

Quote:

Basically what I'm saying is that bias isn't just a matter of piston size/swept area. It's determined by the proportioning valve in the braking system as well. If the rear setup is different, who cares? If the front puts out the same torque as stock but increases the thermal capacity, it will improve the performance without affecting the bias.

So as long as the front setup retains the same torque output per psi, (Same balance of piston area, swept area, effective diameter etc) it doesn't matter that it's a different car. If our car has the same brake caliper as the WRX, and the same swept area and the same effective diameter, and the Wilwood caliper is designed to retain those things on the WRX, it will retain it on our car as well.

I'm not saying that's the case, but if the OE hardware is exactly the same then there's no reason to believe the Wilwood won't work if Wilwood did their homework the first time.
The Following User Says Thank You to SubieNate For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (12-10-2014)
Old 04-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #34
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQautoxer View Post
lol @ devil's advocate. What a cop out...
From NASIOCs brake math spreadsheet, you ignoramus: the 2002-2005 Impreza WRX has 2x 42.8mm front pistons and 4.460"^2 piston area across 2 pistons. The linked Wilwood kit has 4.12"^2 piston area across 4 pistons (4x 1.62" piston diameter). Likely the '10 LGT just has a different caliper bracket in the front and ahs the same 42.8mm pistons out front and 38.1mm pistons out back.

Last edited by ichitaka05; 04-04-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #35
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Way to not quote the facts and now my post is edited too while I added MORE math for your consumption, ingrate.

And the Wilwood caliper has 4x 1.62" piston diameter.

Choke on a rock.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #36
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQautoxer View Post
The factory setup is terrible
In what way is the factory set up terrible?
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-25-2014), Firestorm_86 (10-07-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #37
ABQautoxer

Drives: 2021 Supra / 2022 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
In what way is the factory set up terrible?
Yeah that was poor wording, mainly I hated the stock pads, it was very easy to fade them.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #38
bpracer

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
The older WRX kit is 12"x0.81" rotor, the new BRZ kit is 12.88"x1.1" rotors. It's a pretty big difference in rotor thickness.

I've raced a 2750lb car with 12x.81" rotors, they are not going to have the heat capacity to hold up to real abuse. They would warp after a hard days use and I would change out rotors to complete the weekend.

Now if you were at a track that was easy on brakes and I can see using these to help acceleration. There are not that many people that change brake packages for different tracks other than pro race teams.
Ducati 848
bpracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #39
SubieNate

I don't understand how he's saying the diameter is larger... The diameter that is important is the outer diameter of the tire. That is the same (or nearly so) as every WRX that has ever been made in the states.

Nathan
Old 04-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #40
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post
I don't understand how he's saying the diameter is larger... The diameter that is important is the outer diameter of the tire. That is the same (or nearly so) as every WRX that has ever been made in the states.

Nathan
Thickness = heat capacity. Thinner rotors will overheat quicker with abuse, ultimately ending in cracks or other failure.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #41
bpracer

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thickness = heat capacity. Thinner rotors will overheat quicker with abuse, ultimately ending in cracks or other failure.
Yes, thickness is important, they will cool faster.

Larger diameter will add mass, more heat capacity, but thinner rotors will not cool off as well.

It all a trade off of weight vs capacity.

These 12x.81 will work fine on the street, auto-x, but serious track use with some high friction pads will uncover their lack of capacity.

Edit- in simple term, two rotors of the same diameter but different thicknesses will stop the same for a while, the thinner has less mass/capacity and less airflow through the cooling vanes. The thinner one will get hotter faster and cool off slower.
Ducati 848

Last edited by bpracer; 04-03-2013 at 11:54 PM.
bpracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:08 AM   #42
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Garage
This is an excellent write up. Im seriously considering pulling the trigger on this setup.
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
m.wood0213 is offline   Reply With Quote