follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #15
EigenGuy

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
I'm planning on swapping mine out because of the p0018 issue I am having. Also, if I had a custom tune using the ecutek, will I need to recalibrate the tune, or can I just program the tune righ back in?
Sorry to bring up an old issue. I am working through P0018 issues myself on my 2013. With the TSB I've narrowed it to the ECU. My plan is to buy a replacement (should I get new or used?) and somehow reflash the Jackson Racing CARB legal tune. Has anyone had any luck with ECUtek re-licensing different ECMs?
EigenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:24 PM   #16
slizoth

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EigenGuy View Post
Sorry to bring up an old issue. I am working through P0018 issues myself on my 2013. With the TSB I've narrowed it to the ECU. My plan is to buy a replacement (should I get new or used?) and somehow reflash the Jackson Racing CARB legal tune. Has anyone had any luck with ECUtek re-licensing different ECMs?
I'm curious, how did this work out for you? I also have a 2013 BRZ and am not familiar with this recall / did not take it into the dealer so maybe I need to do it myself.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:59 AM   #17
Chasen

Drives: toyota camry
it is very nice write up,i want to try it if my 86 get ecu problme
Chasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:39 AM   #18
DenisSlob4

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
I have a 2013 BRZ limited. I can't replace with ecu from any other year, correct? If I do replace it with the correct ecu, will my key/button still work or needs to be reprogrammed?
DenisSlob4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:13 PM   #19
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisSlob4 View Post
I have a 2013 BRZ limited. I can't replace with ecu from any other year, correct? If I do replace it with the correct ecu, will my key/button still work or needs to be reprogrammed?

Yes you will need to resync ecu to get car to start its easy tgough

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102810
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:43 PM   #20
Flukester

Drives: 2019 BRZ - Raiu
(Reviving this old thread).

Thank you very much for this write up.

I obtained a spare (used) ECU and wanted to test it, so that I would not have a bad surprise if I ever really needed to use it. My car is a 2019 BRZ 6MT and I swapped in a used ECU that came from a 2017 BRZ 6MT.

All the pictures and explanations of the original post were very useful. Also as noted by Jason@Nameless in one of the replies above, the BRZ does have an additional module with 3 connectors and a separate bracket (2 small bolts, 10mm heads as well) which needs to be removed in order to access and remove the engine ECU.

I disconnected the car battery before starting this whole procedure. Just as a warning to others, if you have opened the car windows before attempting this whole procedure, the additional module (with 3 connectors) mentioned above controls a lot of functions, including the electric windows. So if it starts to rain, you have to reconnect that module (even if it's hanging by its cables and not properly installed), before reconnecting the car's battery and being able to close the windows. Don't ask me how I know...

I then proceeded with resyncing the security modules, as described by steve99 in his thread (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102810) and that also worked properly once I properly looped the two pins in the OBD2 connector. See that thread for details.

Thanks everyone!
Flukester
Flukester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flukester For This Useful Post:
radroach (07-19-2020)
Old 02-04-2023, 03:40 PM   #21
znelbok

Drives: Grand Vitara
Hi guys

I am used to the older Toyota ECU's where the security is in the ECU. If I swap out the ECU do I need a key from the donor car as well to work with the replacement ECU or will the original wireless fob still work (that I suppose is the assumption that the security is a separate ECU in the car)
znelbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 01:19 AM   #22
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,512 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by znelbok View Post
Hi guys

I am used to the older Toyota ECU's where the security is in the ECU. If I swap out the ECU do I need a key from the donor car as well to work with the replacement ECU or will the original wireless fob still work (that I suppose is the assumption that the security is a separate ECU in the car)
A few posts above...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Yes you will need to resync ecu to get car to start its easy though

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102810

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 02-05-2023 at 01:51 AM.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote