follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-28-2019, 08:44 PM   #29
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The 14s are not involved. This was a voluntary recall (not government forced) so if they felt there was an issue Subaru would have included the 14s. Lot tractability for the parts is pretty tightly controlled so they would know exactly when the problem ones were used.

Correction, it IS government enforced in California as this state will pull a **** move and prevent you from renewing registration without proof of the recall being completed.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 08:48 PM   #30
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
Correction, it IS government enforced in California as this state will pull a **** move and prevent you from renewing registration without proof of the recall being completed.
Sorry I meant it is not government forced recall to Subaru. They voluntarily recalled the cars there were no court or agency orders to do so. The Cali owners are not forced to recall they are forced to have the recall work completed.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:56 PM   #31
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
You, I and most of this forum would do fine with a stall. The other 99.99999999% of the driving population would probably die. Oh and take one of us with them.
Point well taken. However.

Yep, here they come, the wrong way down the highway, speeding, under the influence, texting and all at once no engine power, no power steering or brakes, the death machine comes to a halt. Maybe we would be better off -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:57 PM   #32
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Sorry I meant it is not government forced recall to Subaru. They voluntarily recalled the cars there were no court or agency orders to do so. The Cali owners are not forced to recall they are forced to have the recall work completed.
I wouldn't be surprised if I have to make a special trip to the DMV to prove in person I have the recall notice. Then they help themselves to my wallet and take $30 for some fee on top of the standard registration renewal.

If Cali can make things more difficult in this recall process, you bet you ass they are doing it.

I'm probably gonna be the sorry SOB who is next after this Ms Sunshine
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 07:47 PM   #33
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
An extended warranty would not have eliminated the safety aspect of the potential stall. If it was just a matter of cost they would probably not have done a recall at all and if it broke out of warranty it would be the owner's problem. It was made a recall because of the safety issue if it stalled at speed.
The TOB is a good example of a known problem where they cover under warranty but it is your problem after the warranty is up. The same would have applied to the springs. They are not going to extend the warranty because they know something may break.
Understood but it seems to me the spring failure is a very, very rare event considering how many of these engines are out there. Drivers are more likely to have a flat tire at speed and loose control and crash, than have a spring failure. Maybe we should recall all rubber tires and replace them with stone.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-29-2019), Tcoat (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 07:59 PM   #34
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
Understood but it seems to me the spring failure is a very, very rare event considering how many of these engines are out there. Drivers are more likely to have a flat tire at speed and loose control and crash, than have a spring failure. Maybe we should recall all rubber tires and replace them with stone.
Yep. Which is why I said that the recall would not likely have happened at all if it was just an engine failure. Doesn't matter what you or I think the odds of an accident resulting from it are they felt it was a risk they didn't want to take.
Recalls are not about saving owners expensive repairs they are strictly for correcting safety issues. So why on earth would they just offer an extended warranty? If it wasn't considered a safety issue they would have just let it slide and if it went when out of warranty you would be on your own. Just like the TOB issue.
humfrz (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 08:04 PM   #35
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
You're on the right track, but we may not have to go back quite THAT far -

humfrz
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2019, 08:11 PM   #36
humfrz

Quote:
Yep. Which is why I said that the recall would not likely have happened at all if it was just an engine failure. Doesn't matter what you or I think the odds of an accident resulting from it are they felt it was a risk they didn't want to take.
Recalls are not about saving owners expensive repairs they are strictly for correcting safety issues. So why on earth would they just offer an extended warranty? If it wasn't considered a safety issue they would have just let it slide and if it went when out of warranty you would be on your own. Just like the TOB issue.
Question, I cannot seem to find another automobile recall, claimed to be a safety issue, simply because the engine quit running.

Who can help me out here??

humfrz