follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-20-2018, 06:44 PM   #141
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joro2 View Post
Question about BRZ (stock) brakes/hard braking....

I had to make an extremely hard stop earlier, it's the first time since I purchased the car (18 months ago) I had to actually slam super hard on the brakes to stop (and to fortunately avoid someone unexpectedly turning in front of me). I was impressed with how settled the car was under those extreme circumstances, almost no tail sway and not even that loud a tire squeal. In short very graceful and more importantly -- DID NOT CRASH!!
However, immediately after this braking incident I noticed much less travel in the brake pedal, it suddenly became harder, less play, more difficult to press, etc.
I just assumed I overheated the brakes, but in the past (on other vehicles) when overheating I'm used to a softer more spongy feel (fade) rather than a hard pedal w/ less play?
I drove another 15 miles or so of moderate stop and go and the pedal never seemed to return to its normally (perfect) balance between softness and hardness.
Will have to wait a few hours for everything to completely cool down before testing again, but meanwhile any thoughts? (of course the OCD in me is concerned I f*ed something up w/ the braking system).
Likely that you've got some air in your brake system. Next time you let the car sit for a while, get in and pump the brakes hard twice in succession and if you find the second pump has noticeably more resistance than the first, then you've got air. It's not the end of the world for there to be a little but you should get them bled anyways because you could lose brake pressure in a heavy breaking situation.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:30 PM   #142
eastendraceshop

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S & '17 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
The last time I drove my tS it had rained while I was in shopping. Although I waited until the roads were dry before heading for home I ended up following cars on some wet roads. This left my car filthy!
Of course the cold weather hit and I decided that the dirt would have to wait until a very warm day for me to give it it's first home wash.
Today was sunny and 6c (43f) so, I decided to take my tS out for a spin. I thought; why not drive into town, (half hour drive one way) and take it thru the touchless car wash. I get to the wash and of course there's a line of cars. I had a half hour wait. I noticed when the car ahead of the one in front of me was going in that there was a repairman wearing an orange vest with yellow stripes and yellow hard hat doing something inside. When the car directly in front of me went in I could see him directing the driver. I thought perhaps they were adjusting the beams that triggered the stop and go lights or something like that.
When it was my turn I drove in slowly and stop when the light came on. The workman was nowhere to be seen. The system started but... it only spit out clear liquid, NO SOAP! It did it twice then it laid down a spattering of two colour gloop that I suspect is what passes for wax. This was followed by two passes of high pressure spray to rinse off the car. Finally the machine goes from front to back and forward again dribbling a clear fluid I suspect is to prevent spots.
BUT, with no soap to loosen away the road grime in the first place everything else that followed was a waist. I drove out thru air drier when direct to and stopped in front of the store. I went in and told the manager what had happened. Of course reply was that as soon as she learned of the problem she had the service man come in to fix it. Meanwhile dozens of people like myself are sitting in a line up for half to three quarters of an hour to NOT get our cars washed. I was very loud and she finally printed off a complimentary car wash ticket all the time telling me that it had just happened and it would be fixed quickly. Yea, right...
So I drove back home and guess what? The warm weather caused the roads to sweat and they were now damp to wet in any area that was shaded. You know it, my car looks about the same as when I drove into town. But now there is salt mixed into that filth.
So all tolled, I wasted $13.00 over two hours, not to mention the gas and got very upset in the process. I put only about 80 kms on my car and end up with it no cleaner than before. BUT... I did not crash!
Wow, that sounds like such a hassle! But.. at least you didn't crash!
eastendraceshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #143
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Drove my BRZ today, first morning we've had this season where it was below 40 degrees out (about 36 when I started). The car extended its usual warmup cycle to probably about 90 seconds, holding a steady 1500 RPM for most of that time. I'm sure the neighbors didn't mind at all at 7:30 on a Saturday morning. Drove to the gym, did not crash.
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:02 AM   #144
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
4th day owning my BRZ. Drove 250 miles home, 30ish degrees in “freezing fog”, 70Mph+ the whole way on stock Michelin’s. Did not crash.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:08 AM   #145
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
4th day owning my BRZ. Drove 250 miles home, 30ish degrees in “freezing fog”, 70Mph+ the whole way on stock Michelin’s. Did not crash.
Nice how did that drive feel in your new car? Taking a trip to San Antonio from Houston later this month which is about 200 miles one way. Pretty excited to take her out on a good drive lol
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #146
Brink

Drove my BRZ to the local dealership and back today. When I parked in front of the dealership I was backing into a space, backing towards a wall. Alarm on a car nearby that was in for service went off as I was backing in. Maybe my exhaust resonating off the wall set it off? Car was moved before I left so I didn't get to test my theory. Did not crash.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:35 PM   #147
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
The FR-S section has one of these, why not us? I was just gonna post in theirs but started scrolling through several pages of messages and it looked like it was pretty much just the FR-S owners in there, with an occasional post from a BRZ just commenting on someone else's post rather than sharing their own story. I'll start.

Making a left turn from San Antonio onto California today, coming off a red light. I was in the outside of the two left turn lanes, a couple pickups in the inside lane next to me. I start off nice and slow, let the pickup next to me pull ahead and get a nice open space next to me. Next thing I know the pickup which is now just ahead of me (which was right next to me waiting on the red light) is halfway into my lane. They corrected pretty quickly and got back into the proper lane, but if I had kept pace with them going into the turn they probably would have just gone sideways into me. There used to just be a single left turn lane there, was only recently redone to get 2 lanes there, so I'm guessing it was someone who was used to the single turn lane.

If there's anyone else from this area on here you're probably familiar with this intersection. The left turn here used to back up like crazy, seems to mostly work better now with the 2 lanes but if you're going straight down San Antonio through this intersection the lanes do not line up at all, but that's pretty much par for the course on San Antonio.
I'm glad you know how to drive a vehicle pappy lol
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #148
Seiryuu

Drives: ZC6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Was driving on the freeway and the van in front of me suddenly stomped on their brakes to almost a complete stop just to let a stopped car merge back onto traffic from the outer shoulder. Almost rear-ended the van but did not crash. Silly acts of courtesy like this are not uncommon around here.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seiryuu For This Useful Post:
bcj (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #149
Soloside
-Phil's BIGGEST FAN BOI

Drives: 2014 Greddy Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Had a light coating of snow last night in PA. ~1 inch or so of dusting. Below freezing morning temps.

Still took my widebody car on summer ad08rs to work.

R
I
S
K
Old 02-01-2019, 07:58 PM   #150
Brink

Drove over a piece of bubble wrap on the freeway on my way home from work today. It made a nice popping sound. Did not crash.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brink For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 08:18 PM   #151
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Drove over a piece of bubble wrap on the freeway on my way home from work today. It made a nice popping sound. Did not crash.
You sure that wasn't the sound of your paint popping off wherever the bubble wrap hit the car?

Not that I'm bitter about paint quality...

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:32 PM   #152
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo... not at all.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:38 PM   #153
Brink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
You sure that wasn't the sound of your paint popping off wherever the bubble wrap hit the car?

I'm sure, the rock chips in the front bumper were there before.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brink For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-01-2019), Ultramaroon (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 09:07 PM   #154
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloside View Post
Had a light coating of snow last night in PA. ~1 inch or so of dusting. Below freezing morning temps.

Still took my widebody car on summer ad08rs to work.

R
I
S
K
D
U
M
B
Dadhawk (02-01-2019), Ultramaroon (02-01-2019)