follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2017, 07:18 PM   #1
KalbiCool88

Drives: 2005 SLK350, 2015 RS 1.0 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sonax Fallout Remover

Has anyone tried this? Does it perform similarly to Iron-X or maybe better? I'm trying to prep my car for coating install as I will be doing this myself.

Thanks!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...UAAOSw6nNZtyWz

The Coating I plan on using.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...cAAOSwqgRZtYZQ
KalbiCool88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
I've used the fallout cleaner before. I think it works as intended. Iron-X might be a better product.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:36 PM   #3
KalbiCool88

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
I've used the fallout cleaner before. I think it works as intended. Iron-X might be a better product.
In what way was it better? They literally seem identical, minus the price.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2017, 05:36 AM   #4
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalbiCool88 View Post
Has anyone tried this? Does it perform similarly to Iron-X or maybe better? I'm trying to prep my car for coating install as I will be doing this myself.

Thanks!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...UAAOSw6nNZtyWz

The Coating I plan on using.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...cAAOSwqgRZtYZQ
Iron x is what the detailer used on my car to prep before ceramic coating.
Just curious as to why you're getting a ceramic coating that offers no warranty.
You can get optimum gloss coat for $60.00 or Cquartz Finest for $75 -$80.00.
IMHO get a ceramic coating that has a warranty. You pay for what you get. Just my 2 cents

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust

Last edited by 86geek; 09-19-2017 at 12:33 PM.
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #5
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I have the fallout remover, works absolute wonders. I was hesitant at first, but Sonax has a customer for life in me.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
KalbiCool88 (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #6
KalbiCool88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86geek View Post
Iron x is what the detailer used on my car to prep before ceramic coating.
Just curious as to why you're getting a ceramic coating that offers no warranty.
You can get optimum gloss coat for $60.00 or Cquartz Finest for $75 -$80.00.
IMHO get a ceramic coating that has a warranty. You pay for what you get. Just my 2 cents
What kind of "warranty" would Optimum or Cquartz offer? I am not paying anyone to do it because I'm installing it myself. The CC36 just makes for easier installation I feel considering it's a aerosol application and it does not require any face masks for install.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:41 PM   #7
86geek

Garage
Quote:
What kind of "warranty" would Optimum or Cquartz offer? I am not paying anyone to do it because I'm installing it myself. The CC36 just makes for easier installation I feel considering it's a aerosol application and it does not require any face masks for install.
Warranty for the product itself. Optimum warranty is 5 years & CQuartz Finest is 2 years. They guarantee their products will last that long. For what you're paying that EBay seller you could purchase a product that has a warranty. Ceramic coating is all about prepping the car before the hand. Paint correction should be done before ceramic coating is applied.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
Old 09-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #8
sodjer

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Send a message via MSN to sodjer
I've used the Sonax before, it's impressive. Have also used Iron-X and didn't notice any huge difference. Friend has some Opti-Coat Ferrex (which I'm pretty sure is just Optimum Ferrex in a fancier bottle), it vs. the Sonax= no difference either (new car, one panel with that, one panel with Sonax, results looked the same to the naked eye. Didn't break out any microscopes or anything... they certainly smell just as bad as each other as well lol).
sodjer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sodjer For This Useful Post:
KalbiCool88 (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #9
KalbiCool88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86geek View Post
Warranty for the product itself. Optimum warranty is 5 years & CQuartz Finest is 2 years. They guarantee their products will last that long. For what you're paying that EBay seller you could purchase a product that has a warranty. Ceramic coating is all about prepping the car before the hand. Paint correction should be done before ceramic coating is applied.
Would they give you a replacement of the same product if something needed to be warrantied? Either way I would have to re-do the installation myself right?
Old 09-20-2017, 11:55 PM   #10
86geek

Garage
Quote:
Would they give you a replacement of the same product if something needed to be warrantied? Either way I would have to re-do the installation myself right?
Best bet is to ask that question in the optimum forum. I would assume so since Optimum claims coating lasts 5 years & CQuartz Finest 2 years. Prepping the car correctly is important factor as well as applying ceramic coating. Swirls & marring should be removed before ceramic coating is applied. So light polish to remove that would be ideal before you apply ceramic coating.

Yuh, you'd have to reapply it yourself.

The Following User Says Thank You to 86geek For This Useful Post:
KalbiCool88 (09-22-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 01:52 PM   #11
TheDetailer718

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
They all pretty much do the same thing. If I'm not mistaken, most if not all fallout removers and wheel cleaners have the same active ingredient that dissolves iron particles.

You should look into clear bra. In my opinion, "glass/ceramic coatings" are a waste of money. You can still get rock chips, bird dropping etching, etc. Clear bras are a much better sacrificial layer.

BTW, if you go with a ceramic coating be careful. If you don't apply it correctly good luck, you're going to have to sand it off, then paint correct and re apply. And all the towels you use will have to be thrown away. Once that "stuff" gets in your microfibers it will cure and crystallize and pretty much turn your towels into sand paper.
TheDetailer718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:57 PM   #12
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDetailer718 View Post
They all pretty much do the same thing. If I'm not mistaken, most if not all fallout removers and wheel cleaners have the same active ingredient that dissolves iron particles.

You should look into clear bra. In my opinion, "glass/ceramic coatings" are a waste of money. You can still get rock chips, bird dropping etching, etc. Clear bras are a much better sacrificial layer.

BTW, if you go with a ceramic coating be careful. If you don't apply it correctly good luck, you're going to have to sand it off, then paint correct and re apply. And all the towels you use will have to be thrown away. Once that "stuff" gets in your microfibers it will cure and crystallize and pretty much turn your towels into sand paper.
One of my friends has an E46 M3 that was a fair weather Cali Car, and he's been DD'ing it in New England for years now. He had it paint corrected, ceramic coated, then the fenders, hood, and front bumper clear bra'd before he drove it out here. It's shocking watching him wash the car. A minute with the foam cannon, a minute with the hose, and 5 minutes with a quick detail and it's done and immaculate looking.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #13
TheDetailer718

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
One of my friends has an E46 M3 that was a fair weather Cali Car, and he's been DD'ing it in New England for years now. He had it paint corrected, ceramic coated, then the fenders, hood, and front bumper clear bra'd before he drove it out here. It's shocking watching him wash the car. A minute with the foam cannon, a minute with the hose, and 5 minutes with a quick detail and it's done and immaculate looking.
I'd rather clear bra the entire car rather than have half and half. But to each his own. Whatever works for him.

And ceramic coatings are not resistant to swirls as much as people think they are. I've seen ceramic coated cars have pretty bad swirls because of incorrect washing techniques (like stated above) and improper drying.
TheDetailer718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #14
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDetailer718 View Post
I'd rather clear bra the entire car rather than have half and half. But to each his own. Whatever works for him.

And ceramic coatings are not resistant to swirls as much as people think they are. I've seen ceramic coated cars have pretty bad swirls because of incorrect washing techniques (like stated above) and improper drying.
I was also surprised by the half and half routine, but he had all the panels wrapped off the car, so they looked totally seamless.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote