follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #29
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftw-86 View Post
Here are my predictions: (If I was good at it, I would have won the lottery already)

Scion will release the FRS while Subaru stay mum about theirs.

6 Months to a year later, Subaru will release their 286a with a turbo!!! And cannibalize the sale of the FRS after the hype dies down.
No turbo for Subaru ver as of right now
Old 05-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #30
dilly-o

Drives: 1996 300ZX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAImportTuner View Post
MAYBE the Subaru version gets the Forester FB25 over the Scion Impreza FB20 block??
that would make a whole lot of sense and be really cool at the same time. at the moment, there is zero indication that a 2.5 will be an option. too bad.
dilly-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #31
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper View Post
I don't see the point of co-engineering/developing a car and having them compete in the same price bracket for sales. No?

Could be lower for that matter lol
It's all about pure competitive market. They don't share management, Toyota only has Subaru stake. Subaru can do whatever to make the car competitive as long as Toyota doesn't butt in and say "stop it!!" because Toyota is the biggest shareholder. Subaru will not price the car too much off over the market price if the differences are bumper and badge. I think Subaru will price about 1K more/less than Scion one.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #32
PAImportTuner
Turbo Mafia Presidente

Drives: U Mad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
No turbo for Subaru ver as of right now
You keep saying that, as if you are 100% sure and was told this. I know that it is very crucial to keep things like this on the low, and that even if your an insider but not a direct employee/engineer on the team you would really have no idea. Word gets out that Subaru will release a turbo model months after the Scion version sales will drop(like ftw-86 said), but be bought by females, commuters and people who can't afford the turbo version.

2nd scenario is you don't release turbo first year but next year you do for $1k more, when you say it wasn't even in the works. Your gonna have pissed of consumers.. and for me I would actually try to lemon law my n/a model and then upgrade to new turbo model at the difference in price without losing money.
PAImportTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #33
PAImportTuner
Turbo Mafia Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftw-86 View Post
Here are my predictions: (If I was good at it, I would have won the lottery already)

Scion will release the FRS while Subaru stay mum about theirs.

6 Months to a year later, Subaru will release their 286a with a turbo!!! And cannibalize the sale of the FRS after the hype dies down.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #34
bofa

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Quote:
You keep saying that, as if you are 100% sure and was told this. I know that it is very crucial to keep things like this on the low, and that even if your an insider but not a direct employee/engineer on the team you would really have no idea. Word gets out that Subaru will release a turbo model months after the Scion version sales will drop(like ftw-86 said), but be bought by females, commuters and people who can't afford the turbo version.

2nd scenario is you don't release turbo first year but next year you do for $1k more, when you say it wasn't even in the works. Your gonna have pissed of consumers.. and for me I would actually try to lemon law my n/a model and then upgrade to new turbo model at the difference in price without losing money.
LOL Lemon Law say my car must be fasterrrrrr...
bofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #35
PAImportTuner
Turbo Mafia Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa View Post
LOL Lemon Law say my car must be fasterrrrrr...
You totally missed what I said, I would try and find a way out of the car by any means necessary I would not be locked into a car. I'd buy the car in N/A form no problem, that's only if they don't release a turbo model in the first 4 years. If they did say after 1-1.5 years later, I'd be finding a way out and find problems with the car, which should not be hard being first year production, new engine and transmission.. easy peazy. Cry all you want but some wouldn't have to resort to this if they straight talked about things and not mislead. I can wait another year after release for turbo model, just tell us don't mislead thousands of people saying it's not gonna happen when you're probably R&D it as I type.

They know from the concept and production of this car if they have plans to turbo or not and when, they just don't wake up a year later and say "Hey, I think we should turbo the 2013 model"
Old 05-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #36
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
tarboooo!!!! NOISES!!!!!

WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN

Edit: IS THAT JUSTIN BEIBER?

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #37
PAImportTuner
Turbo Mafia Presidente

If you guys knew anything about Subaru motors you'd understand why a turbo is needed. I will admit if they can pull off 200hp with the FB I will be content. AND If it responds well to mods like the K20/24 series Honda motors allowing to hit 200rwhp after bolt-ons and tune w/no cams we have a winner winner chicken dinner. Oh and it must rev to 7200 and still make power.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #38
bofa

Quote:
You totally missed what I said, I would try and find a way out of the car by any means necessary I would not be locked into a car. I'd buy the car in N/A form no problem, that's only if they don't release a turbo model in the first 4 years. If they did say after 1-1.5 years later, I'd be finding a way out and find problems with the car, which should not be hard being first year production, new engine and transmission.. easy peazy. Cry all you want but some wouldn't have to resort to this if they straight talked about things and not mislead. I can wait another year after release for turbo model, just tell us don't mislead thousands of people saying it's not gonna happen when you're probably R&D it as I type.

They know from the concept and production of this car if they have plans to turbo or not and when, they just don't wake up a year later and say "Hey, I think we should turbo the 2013 model"
Man, you can expect there will always be changes that will make you want the newer model, be it turbo, exterior, block, or whatever else. If you are that concerned just don't buy it and wait it out. Or if you must have the car N/A or not, you can always take the negative equity or pay the difference. Or hell, you can lease it and get a new one in 3 years. I would not recommend trying to abuse the lemon laws because you won't get far. Pissing and moaning about what they may or may not do over the next few years takes the fun out of the release. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Have you ever actually tried to lemon a car? I did and succeeded (2006 Nissan 350Z) and it was not easy. These companies wont just roll over.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #39
bofa

Quote:
If you guys knew anything about Subaru motors you'd understand why a turbo is needed. I will admit if they can pull off 200hp with the FB I will be content. AND If it responds well to mods like the K20/24 series Honda motors allowing to hit 200rwhp after bolt-ons and tune w/no cams we have a winner winner chicken dinner. Oh and it must rev to 7200 and still make power.
I get what you are saying, but I imagine Subie knows what is expected and what they are putting out there. TBH, I'm more worried about the low end torque at this point. I'm interested to see some acceleration and lap times.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #40
ftw-86

Drives: none
It just doesn't make sense for Subaru not to release a turbo.

So the way I see it for Subaru:
1st year, NA - 2.0RS (Racing Sport instead of Rally Sport)
2nd year, Turbo - 2.0RX (Racing eXperimental)
3rd year, Turbo - 2.0STI (Smoking Terrific shIt)
ftw-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #41
Leeky
3S-GTE Junky

Drives: Toyota Celica GT-Four ST205
I agree thats its unlikely to be a Turbo model.....

But if there was i would put money on Toyota having it and not Subaru

Subaru have pulled out of the WRC... but Toyota are reported to be heading back to WRC after their failures in F1 and i think im right in saying that all WRC cars are turbocharged? I cant think of a team that run a nasp....

Now a RWD FT86 would not be competitive but a 4WD car would. I dont think it would take much in the way of engineering to create a 4WD FT86.

Also if they do re-enter WRC they have a choice of using their new lightweight sports car and helping its sales off the back of possible new Rally successes or to use one of their current/older models.

The Auris has been out for a while now and is too heavy so thats out of the question. There is a new Yaris on the horizon but i think it would take too much time and developement to make it competitive.

Saying all of this....even if im right and they did do a 4WD FT86 and they did enter WRC with it... it doesnt mean they will ever make a Turbo road car let alone a 4WD model as they no longer need to homologate the vehicles like they used to in WRC.

Just like the Focus RS, all the road cars are FWD when the WRC cars are 4WD.... ..... not like it used to be where you had to build 2500 road going versions of your car to use it in Group A WRC.

But if you are reading this Toyota; stick a turbo on the car and power those front wheels! - Bring back the GT-Four in the FT86. I would buy one on the day they hit the dealers without a seconds thought!
Leeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #42
fernan2

Drives: Wrx
the subaru version is going to be turbo for sure! you can take that to the bank! (STI)
fernan2 is offline   Reply With Quote