follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Gaming Culture and gender

Link.http://fozmeadows.wordpress.com/2012...ure-in-gaming/

This guy is calling it "rape culture" but I guess it more specifically about insults and verbal sexual attacks on females in general that try to silence or eliminate female power and influence on matters. This blog has been making the rounds following an event sponsored by Capcom where one of the contestants sexually harassed a female teammate until she forfeited a match. The guy was known for trash talk and being an equal opportunity jerk. But apparently he went too far with a teammate and embarrassed himself by defending it as part of the fighting game culture. Last part I read, he apologized for defending his actions and personally apologized to his former teammate and she accepted so that matter was resolved. But it's still a point of contention that many communities previously dominated by males are being increasingly "encroached" by the "opposite" gender which cause friction like this.

I thought it was particularly pungent that this sort of thing more commonly happens where one gender dominates a certain group or activity. Where else besides frat houses does the male gender dominate by sheer numbers? Certain games and enthusiast car forums right?

I know people here are pretty tough on newcomers as a matter of course but I've always wondered why so few female members when many guys have been saying this car is bound to be a "secretary car." Sure it might just be personal differences but isn't it partly dominant male attitude? Girly and feminine is generally considered by men to be derogatory right? But I think why not have more females interested in this car. Isn't that what we all really want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I think it's funny when guys on a forum that's geared towards men complain about or question why there aren't more girls around. Men and women are biologically different and have different interests that aren't always going to coincide. I highly doubt on a purse forum or cosmetics forum there are threads asking, "why aren't there more guys here?" I think it's just one of those things that people need to accept and quit wondering about.

Granted I will agree that male dominated forums usually aren't the best when it comes to new members, but I doubt a more cordial attitude is going to magically shift the demographics of a place like this.

Edit: I know I didn't really respond to the first part of the OP. IMO the guy was being a d-bag, and you can find those just about anywhere, not just in the gaming or car scene.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Are you interested enough in how you dress to join and post regularly on a fashion forum? I'm not (though maybe I should be...) Part of it is the 'Tits or GTFO!' internet car forum stuff, but I think there is also a difference in the level of passion involved.

Edit: 2 posts involving stereotypes of girls forums. Nice.

Because titanium.

Last edited by Dimman; 06-13-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: edit
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
Allch Chcar

Two stereotypical responses, really guys?

Quote:
Old 06-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Best way to avoid this?

Don't play on the US servers. Most US players are generally the biggest assholes in the gaming community.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Giccin For This Useful Post:
OrbitalEllipses (06-14-2012), SVTSHC (06-14-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
vividracing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
It really does come down to the fact that the number of women who are passionate enough about cars to join a community for a certain car is very low. The number of women interested in joining a forum of any sort is also much lower than then number of men. Combine those, and that's why there's so few female forum members.
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
I think it's funny when guys on a forum that's geared towards men complain about or question why there aren't more girls around. Men and women are biologically different and have different interests that aren't always going to coincide. I highly doubt on a purse forum or cosmetics forum there are threads asking, "why aren't there more guys here?" I think it's just one of those things that people need to accept and quit wondering about.

Granted I will agree that male dominated forums usually aren't the best when it comes to new members, but I doubt a more cordial attitude is going to magically shift the demographics of a place like this.

Edit: I know I didn't really respond to the first part of the OP. IMO the guy was being a d-bag, and you can find those just about anywhere, not just in the gaming or car scene.
So i googled it...they really do have purse forums!
Shagaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #8
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I also forgot to mention most girls/female/women don't go to car meets/forums due to one of the many reasons.

1. Always Kitchen Jokes (srsly)
2. Women can't drive Jokes. (srsly)
3. Boobs?!

Eh. I hate car meets. I hate most of the people there after attending a few of them. Most guys if not all--have the same mindset. "She's a girl she doesn't know shit." I ask a question they look away. Unfortunately I don't look like an import model so answering questions I have don't work.

Shit.. there was an instance where I went to a meet and I heard from a distance "THIS ISN'T THE KITCHEN BITCH!!"

Yea. Fuck most car guys. Glad I found a forum that's a bit more mature and appropriate in many ways.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #9
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Drives: 2004 GS430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I just read the first few comments on your post and didn't even have to read the rest, but only respond to it.

It is sad. Plain and simple.

Note: :Yesterday I ran into an old female friend on Aion which I have not seen for about a year (she is pretty fucking badass) and had a lot of fun playing with her, and that's what games are about. (Is fun) It was a lot of fun, and you can be amazed at how mad guys will get when a female will rock them at a video game! (let alone driving) =P
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:14 AM   #10
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagaliscious View Post
So i googled it...they really do have purse forums!
www.purseforum.com
Old 06-14-2012, 04:15 AM   #11
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
Two stereotypical responses, really guys?
You honestly think that there is an answer to the thread topic that will unlock the secret to getting girls on a car forum?
Old 06-14-2012, 04:34 AM   #12
S2kphile
Resident HoneyBadger

Drives: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
You honestly think that there is an answer to the thread topic that will unlock the secret to getting girls on a car forum?

It is what it is. @Longhorn248 put it simply; "Men and women are biologically & psychologically different and have different interests that aren't always going to coincide."

If a person can't handle the fire stay out of it but if they stay in it long enough & work they'll earn the respect of their peers men or women.

Walk like a King, Be like a Sir, Swag it out like a Boss
S2kphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:12 AM   #13
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Got my ass handed to me by a girl or by a guy in a video game, what the fuck does it matter? Women invading non-traditional gender roles, oh my god big deal. Not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
I also forgot to mention most girls/female/women don't go to car meets/forums due to one of the many reasons.

1. Always Kitchen Jokes (srsly)
2. Women can't drive Jokes. (srsly)
3. Boobs?!

Eh. I hate car meets. I hate most of the people there after attending a few of them. Most guys if not all--have the same mindset. "She's a girl she doesn't know shit." I ask a question they look away. Unfortunately I don't look like an import model so answering questions I have don't work.
All I'm saying is stereotypes exist for a reason; your stereotypical car guy is a chauvinist pig.

Speaking of women not being able to drive; I always chided my mother for scratching up her RX when parking, etc. but GODDAMN that bitch is hard to park! Can't see shit! No spatial awareness or anything. Now I feel like a jerk.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Allch Chcar

Quote:
I was hoping for a more thought out response that might embarass my intelligence or make me reconsider my assumptions not a cliche response based on stereotypes of the average female. You might as well add that the average male must have a v8 or a turbo to even consider a car a 'sports car.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Got my ass handed to me by a girl or by a guy in a video game, what the fuck does it matter? Women invading non-traditional gender roles, oh my god big deal. Not.

All I'm saying is stereotypes exist for a reason; your stereotypical car guy is a chauvinist pig.

Speaking of women not being able to drive; I always chided my mother for scratching up her RX when parking, etc. but GODDAMN that bitch is hard to park! Can't see shit! No spatial awareness or anything. Now I feel like a jerk.
I'm not as concerned by losing to a girl(or anyone) on a game, as I am about things like the average car guy is a chauvinist pig. With games I can almost always find a different server or if I'm with a good group I can handle losing hundreds of times. Cars have a much smaller community and sports cars are even smaller and even more likely to be elitist.

And we're not talking about driving here. Sorry.

Quote: