follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #113
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamajee View Post
Can I be convinced that this is an ignition coil faulty and just replace it?
Yes, but I'd demand the dealer do it. They can read the code in memory and you can point them to this thread with lots of documentation that P0351 is isolated to the cylinder #1 coil pack.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #114
Yamajee

Drives: Rocket Bunny'd GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Yes, but I'd demand the dealer do it. They can read the code in memory and you can point them to this thread with lots of documentation that P0351 is isolated to the cylinder #1 coil pack.
We did all of that, I even had the mechanic hop in with me in the car and did the test, CEL popped up, still convinced that it was a reflash issue, in other words, the whole UAE is complaining about the pointless service centers we have in our dealership, believe it or not, I have to tell them that I am bringing my car in for service a week before I do because the oil is not available instantly, the jacks are not made for lowered cars, the warranty goes off even with a catback exhaust, so let's leave all of that aside and say that I shouldn't be worrying about DI seals failing correct? I should just replace the coil pack that is on the passenger side (my car is LHD) located underneath the black ECU and voila, no swapping like someone stated that brought engine failure to him or anything else, just swap out the old coil with the new coil, correct?
Yamajee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #115
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamajee View Post
We did all of that, I even had the mechanic hop in with me in the car and did the test, CEL popped up, still convinced that it was a reflash issue, in other words, the whole UAE is complaining about the pointless service centers we have in our dealership, believe it or not, I have to tell them that I am bringing my car in for service a week before I do because the oil is not available instantly, the jacks are not made for lowered cars, the warranty goes off even with a catback exhaust, so let's leave all of that aside and say that I shouldn't be worrying about DI seals failing correct? I should just replace the coil pack that is on the passenger side (my car is LHD) located underneath the black ECU and voila, no swapping like someone stated that brought engine failure to him or anything else, just swap out the old coil with the new coil, correct?
Sorry to hear of the poor service and response from your dealership techs. Seems to be the case for the majority of the dealers here as well.

Yes, I replaced the same coil myself and it wasn't too difficult, just need hand tools and patience. I have more details in this thread a few posts back. You should be able to replace it yourself just fine, just remember to stuff some rags below to catch any dropped bolts.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #116
Yamajee

Drives: Rocket Bunny'd GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Sorry to hear of the poor service and response from your dealership techs. Seems to be the case for the majority of the dealers here as well.

Yes, I replaced the same coil myself and it wasn't too difficult, just need hand tools and patience. I have more details in this thread a few posts back. You should be able to replace it yourself just fine, just remember to stuff some rags below to catch any dropped bolts.
I have a rocket bunny kit so my fender wheel well liners are off, I think I'm able to reach the ignition coil by taking off the front right wheel and then working from there, I have a mechanic who will do this for me but I'll also help, thank you so much for the fast responses!
Yamajee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamajee For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (05-04-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #117
Thongpocket
Master Troll

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Just got this on cyl 1 at the global time attack this past weekend. Going to take it in and hope they will replace the coil pack. My only mods are power blocks, K&N and exhahust. NO tune. 93 oct gas, 38k miles boughti n June 2012.
Thongpocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #118
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

#1 coil failure seems to be an inevitability for those who track their cars.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #119
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hopefully you didn't clear the ECU as they will need to see it in memory before they replace it typically.

Also, be aware that when they pull it, they see RPM and speed readings. I had a service manager bitch at me because I was doing 98. I told him up front though that I was passing a semi on a 2 lane road and traffic pulled into the oncoming lane (honest truth about the CEL I had the day before I went to dealer).

They may question the power blocks if they notice, even though we all know this is a problem on 100% stock cars.
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #120
Thongpocket
Master Troll

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
I already cleared it. If it pops up again I'll leave it and bring it in. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Thongpocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:56 AM   #121
hyper4mance

Drives: 13 BRZ, 97 e36 M3 Rides: '07 600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Had the same issue this past weekend at the track. P0351 error, so I cleared it and jiggled the wires. Next run session it didn't come back, but I also kept the rev's below 7k rpm this time around (instead of shifting at 7400-7600 - ecutek tune). All seems well so far but I took a video of the error code before I cleared it. Hopefully subaru will replace the coil pack as well.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #122
celica73

Drives: '13 BRZ / '11 Outback / '06 Tundra
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kido1986 View Post
Hopefully you didn't clear the ECU as they will need to see it in memory before they replace it typically.
Which bites, because the check engine light disables cruise control, and I like to use cruise control after a long track weekend.

Coil packs are $80, and I don't run that many events, so hopefully I can get a year out of one. Kind of insignificant compared to the rest of the track expenses.
celica73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #123
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Trick to clear it without erasing from memory (to gain CC back) is restart the engine three times, with a few minutes of drive time between each restart. Seems to clear it for me. Within 10 minutes of getting that CEL, I could have my CC back
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #124
Element Tuning

Drives: Hydra EMS Powered FRS Raven Black
Thanked 1,021 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I never had a problem with any of my coil packs on my original FRS engine and wiring. When I swapped in a BRZ motor, wiring harness, etc after my fire I had coil pack 1 go bad and it actually left me stranded on the side of the road.

When I pulled it there was melted plastic on the inside like the spark was jumping through the coil pack to the head. This is actually what it was doing as I was blowing a the "Ign" fuse kept blowing the moment you would crank the engine.

Wish I had a picture but it appears I tossed it in the garbage.
Element Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #125
BoostedWrbBrz

Drives: 2014 Wrb Brz limited 6m
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I just pulled this code on my car too. Also seems to stumble some times as well. Where can I buy a replacement coil?
BoostedWrbBrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #126
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrFrs View Post
I just pulled this code on my car too. Also seems to stumble some times as well. Where can I buy a replacement coil?
Subaru parts warehouse dot com