follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-24-2018, 12:37 AM   #29
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
But, back in the day you could go to the wreckers and grab a ton of parts for next to nothing, if you took them off yourself. Extra parts were good to have! We used to just swap'em out until the problem was solved.

I like extra parts
Yep, I hear that.

While you were there and found a car like yours and had a pocket full of wrenches, even though you were there just for a generator, might as well pluck off that carburetor, distributor cap, coil, voltage regulator and fuel pump, to have on hand for spare parts.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-24-2018), new2subaru (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 12:18 PM   #30
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Yep, I hear that.

While you were there and found a car like yours and had a pocket full of wrenches, even though you were there just for a generator, might as well pluck off that carburetor, distributor cap, coil, voltage regulator and fuel pump, to have on hand for spare parts.

humfrz
And Smelly would look at the pile and go "You got ten bucks cash? Gonna be $20 if you wantta write a cheque"
humfrz (02-24-2018), new2subaru (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 12:34 PM   #31
Chaetagnath

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
This was a huge issue I watched closely a couple of years ago. It has slowed way down from what it was since most of the batteries have probably been replaced. When I was keeping track there were about 10 BRZs with the problem for every FRS that had it. Since there were about 100 FRSs for every BRZ at the time that difference is much larger than it seems. They both had the exact same battery so there is something about the BRZs that was drawing amperage. Many of the cases showed the battery to still be at the proper voltage range but they simply did not have the cranking amps to turn the car over. In ever situation where the person updated after getting a new battery there was never a reported return of the issue. There were a few theories at the time but I don't think we ever came to a final conclusion.

My 14 FRS still has the original battery and after 4 Canadian winters still cranks the car like it did when it was new. A while back we had temperatures of -10F for a few days and even then it worked as if it was August.

I wonder if this issue appeared more prevalent in BRZs because the BRZ limited has the push start, and the early FRS didn’t have that option. I had this exact issue in my FRS but only after I installed the easygo kit, particularly when it was too hot outside. Once I replaced the battery the problem went away. If I used the key start the problem didn’t happen. So maybe push start buttons require more amps to crank than a key or something? Any idea if the BRZ models you refer to were limiteds?
Chaetagnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #32
JERM^

Drives: WRB BRZ Aozora 15'
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So update guys... for some more complex diagnostic.

So it is a day and a half after the video was shot. Saturday 12:30PM and before I go put another battery in, I tried to start it again. Car did not move at all, opened the door, got in, clutch, push button. 0 problems, 0 hiccups. Battery didn't even struggle to start the car. Everything was normal.

My thoughts: Battery charge LEVEL is probably fine. The slow drain (if it even exists) probably not the reason now.

Variables 1: It is much warmer at noon than that night, battery may have more power?

Or simply as everyone says, connections? However since I am so noob at this, would a loose connection behave like this? That everything works but somehow when a strong current runs though it suddenly cuts?
JERM^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #33
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERM^ View Post
Or simply as everyone says, connections? However since I am so noob at this, would a loose connection behave like this? That everything works but somehow when a strong current runs though it suddenly cuts?
Yes. That's exactly how it works. Loose or corroded (resistive) connections get hot. Heat expands and distorts the junction. Things start to burn and further corrode at the gap. The junction cools and reconnects. The vicious cycle repeats until the junction degrades enough to open permanently.

Think about how old flashlights with those D cells will dim before they actually die, and how we always shake them to get more life out of the cells. Exact same principle.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:52 PM   #34
Tcoat

Quote:

So it is a day and a half after the video was shot. Saturday 12:30PM and before I go put another battery in, I tried to start it again. Car did not move at all, opened the door, got in, clutch, push button. 0 problems, 0 hiccups. Battery didn't even struggle to start the car. Everything was normal.

My thoughts: Battery charge LEVEL is probably fine. The slow drain (if it even exists) probably not the reason now.

Variables 1: It is much warmer at noon than that night, battery may have more power?

Dude. It has been said over and over. Just give it a try. Probably the easiest repair there is.
Ultramaroon (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 01:53 PM   #35
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaetagnath View Post
I wonder if this issue appeared more prevalent in BRZs because the BRZ limited has the push start, and the early FRS didn’t have that option. I had this exact issue in my FRS but only after I installed the easygo kit, particularly when it was too hot outside. Once I replaced the battery the problem went away. If I used the key start the problem didn’t happen. So maybe push start buttons require more amps to crank than a key or something? Any idea if the BRZ models you refer to were limiteds?
That is indeed among the possibilities. Don't really know how it would do it but it is a common factor among the failures.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:16 PM   #36
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
And Smelly would look at the pile and go "You got ten bucks cash? Gonna be $20 if you wantta write a cheque"
My favorite one was cash on the barrel head only, if the old man would charge me at all. His "junk yard" was really just part of his farm where he collected old vehicles.

All I had to do was help him move some heavy things he couldn't move by himself and then sit down under the maple trees in his front yard, have a glass of iced tea and listen to his stories. I learned that the longer I sat and listened to his stories, the more likely it was that he would say ...... ah, just take that stuff ......

humfrz
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (02-24-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 08:54 AM   #37
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

yes, and the first connection I would check is at the battery, if you haven't already. Are the battery connections tight? Any corrosion seen? (if so clean it up)
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:36 PM   #38
humfrz

Quote:
Or simply as everyone says, connections? However since I am so noob at this,
For cryen out loud JERM^, take your car up to a local automotive shop and let them sort it out. Then, ask them what they did to "fix" it. That would be your learning experience for the day .....

humfrz
Old 02-25-2018, 05:44 PM   #39
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
For cryen out loud JERM^, take your car up to a local automotive shop and let them sort it out. Then, ask them what they did to "fix" it. That would be your learning experience for the day .....
Maybe JERM is teaching us.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:52 PM   #40
JERM^

Drives: WRB BRZ Aozora 15'
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

humfrz
LOL the reasoning behind all these confirmation: I wanted to narrow the diagnostic as much as I could because I am still trying to get the dealership to "solve the problem" for me IN CASE it is some other electrical problem, after turning me away twice for the same problem.

Anyways been a busy day will clean them up tomorrow and see if anything goes wrong. Thanks for the help guys.
JERM^ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JERM^ For This Useful Post:
humfrz (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 10:04 PM   #41
humfrz

Quote:
LOL the reasoning behind all these confirmation: I wanted to narrow the diagnostic as much as I could because I am still trying to get the dealership to "solve the problem" for me IN CASE it is some other electrical problem, after turning me away twice for the same problem.

Anyways been a busy day will clean them up tomorrow and see if anything goes wrong. Thanks for the help guys.
PS - Every automotive tool box should have one of these .......

humfrz
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
guybo (02-26-2018), JazzleSAURUS (02-26-2018), new2subaru (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 11:08 PM   #42
e30kawi

Drives: CWP limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've had this issue in the past, where the car won't crank one minute and the next it will. One time was a bad connection at the solenoid and a couple other times the solenoid was on the way out.

It's my understanding that once the solenoid goes bad or starts to go bad, it will or can try to draw twice the cranking amps as it normally would, making it seem like a weak battery.
e30kawi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to e30kawi For This Useful Post:
JERM^ (02-26-2018)