follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 08-26-2019, 12:17 PM   #29
atomicalex

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited Perf Pack
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So, does it record more than 1.0G?

I think not so bad?

Last edited by atomicalex; 08-26-2019 at 12:55 PM.
atomicalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:55 AM   #30
atomicalex

An interesting day at Waterford - it rained a little and the track got slick. Azenis are not rain tyres.

With that out of the way, the last two sessions were great and I was able to put my learning from CGI to work and get much more consistent times. Two friends introduced me to the Track Addict app, so I got that running the last session. If I can line up an entire good lap, I'm doing ok, but still not getting the best line through each section.

Michigan's weather is not helping, but I do want to head back to GingerMan if I can.

Today, daBRZ goes back to Subaru for emissions checks. I get a Forester. Yippee!
Old 09-10-2019, 08:34 AM   #31
atomicalex

I lied. I got a Legacy.

Detroit style.

The Following User Says Thank You to atomicalex For This Useful Post:
BigTuna (10-14-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 08:45 AM   #32
atomicalex

Swapped the diff fluid out for Motul Gear 300 and the trans fluid out for Redline MT90. Have a whopping 20 miles on both. The MT90 seems a bit whiny, but shifting is buttery. The diff seems crunchier, for lack of a better word. I need to poke at it a bit to feel it lock up. I do have a big highway trip tomorrow, so whatever. While highway miles don't count for much, it will be a chance to listen and hear it. Get it warmed up well and all.

Notes on the job: Jacking this thing is interesting. The central jacking points is new to me, coming from VW which has little pucks that you put into the frame and are specifically designed for jacking the whole mess up one corner or one side at a time. Subaru's crush washers actually work. The diff could use a bit more clearance to fill up.

In other news, stay safe. I left my jacks in place and thought "hmm, I should remove the handle from the front one so I don't trip over it." Walk around car to grab something and :boom: now my left knee is a mess and yeah. Ooops.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:07 PM   #33
atomicalex

FWIW, the Redline MT90 is not causing cold shifting issues like in my B5 (give up 2nd for a mile or two at startup), but it is whiny AF. Like damn, this is noisy. I may actually go back to the Subie oil.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #34
GarageNoGarage

Drives: ZN6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I know its not Extra S anymore, but I've always been super happy with the Subaru gear oil. If its going to trackday I'll just change it more often. The behavior on the street is worth it to me. I was the same way with my WRX and STI . It just made the daily part of ownership (which for me is like 90%) so much more pleasant
GarageNoGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GarageNoGarage For This Useful Post:
atomicalex (12-06-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 08:00 PM   #35
atomicalex

I appreciate that comment and am thinking of taking that tack.

I have a toy car problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to atomicalex For This Useful Post:
LSK (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 08:13 AM   #36
atomicalex

Added the Cusco pedal overlay. Just perfect. No need for the spacer, I think. This is the tiny feet solution.

edit - I might slide an extra 1/8" rubber shim in there just to pull it a hair closer. I also added some of those clear plastic sticky dots to the holes. To make this more hopefully work, I flipped the Cusco shim around and stuck it to the overlay, not to my stock pedal. Not sure how those will hold up, but whatever. We will see.

Last edited by atomicalex; 01-27-2020 at 12:40 PM. Reason: add detail
atomicalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:42 AM   #37
GarageNoGarage

Drives: ZN6
I second the Subaru gear oil. Extra S was amazing, but the newest variation is just as acceptable. I've had it on multiple track days (with appropriate changes of course) and don't see a reason to go with something else at this point. In a dedicated track car it would be different I think
GarageNoGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GarageNoGarage For This Useful Post:
atomicalex (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 10:53 AM   #38
LSK

Drives: BRZ Limited w/Performance Package
RE the performance package brakes, one of the instructors at an autoX saw them and goes "oh brembos. Use them. like actually really use them. you'll be impressed."

I was impressed.
atomicalex (01-27-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 08:57 AM   #39
atomicalex

A few updates.

Raceseng Cas-Cam plates. Set to 1° at the moment. The difference is interesting to me. At Waterford, the feeling in the front is much more confident. The window between catastrophic understeer and catastrophic oversteer widens a fair amount. There is more of a sense of railing. The wear on the left front tyre was less bad. The temp of the left front tyre increased less compared to the rest of the tyres. I will do another day at 1°, then move to 2° and compare. The Azenis were less annoying. I realized that I only complain about the front tyres. A track buddy pointed out that after so long in FWD, duh, of course I am totally focused on the front end. I am used to having to be super precise with the front in ways that are not an issue in RWD, or at least that level of precision is not required in RWD at the level I am at now. Working on leveling up.

Jackson Dual Cooler. It's way easier to install than their excellent instructions imply. The hardest part is the stupid sidemarkers. Like what a pain. The rest of it was crazy straightforward. This is a must do for track rats. Holy moly. I was upshifting to reduce load due to high oil temps, and with this sucker in, I can't break 230°F. Like banging off the rev limiter for laps and not budging. I am sooooo impressed. I love their concept of burying the oil cooler in the rad end tank. That is just so trick, so elegant.

Very happy with both mods. Like getting the PP up front, spending the money up front is paying off in not having to deal with anything later.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #40
atomicalex

Oh, and while I was in there, I added some Hella Supertones. HONQUE!!!

Tags
atomicalex, brz, design, vwb5