follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 01-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #29
celica73

Drives: '13 BRZ / '11 Outback / '06 Tundra
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey, you should have used the threaded holes on the rotor to get them unstuck from the hub. I have some bolts from a Z06 that would work perfectly.

Just be careful not to strip them, because you'd be screwed then.
celica73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #30
Kuri

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Your Rear Brake line bracket bolt is the same threading to remove the rotor. I need to buy those stupid bolts
Kuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #31
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
How did you make out at Sebring?

Those brake ducts made a BIG difference in our Project BRZ especially at Watkins Glen where we have lots of heavy brake zones and elevation changes.

-Mike Paisan

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.
Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #32
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Ughh, this happened to me last night. After 80k my rotors are glued. Now my apartment garage is small so its a very tight working space and there is very poor ventilation and I can't be too loud, so no metal hammers.

So I took off my caliper and found the rotor wasn't budging, I pulled a bone head move and tried to use the bolt that attach on the pistons of the brake caliper to unseize the rotor, this just chewed up the ends of those bolts. Luckily I can still thread them on the caliper and they seem to tighten okay still.

Then I went and got a few nuts trying to do what was posted in that video a few pages back. I found that I have too short a bolt (oem bolt) and the nuts I got are too large to fit the two needed to push the rotor out. So I went and got some PB blaster and soaked it near the base of the studs. My garage stinks now and I have a big fan on high airing it out, I want to avoid chemicals as the smells linger and are hard to vent out.

I also got the proper bolts thanks to the image @F1point4 posted. When I get home today I'm going to bash it some with my mallet and if that doesnt do it I will slowly torque those bolts down and hopefully it gets free.

Wish me luck, I angerly tried to get it off for a while before checking online and finding this handy thread
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:39 PM   #33
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
With the proper bolts the rotor came off no sweat.

I went to finish up and found I don' have an adapter socket to use on my torque wrench so another trip to the store so I can hopefully wrap up my first brake job on the ol girl.

I think I'm going to re do the front, I was too sloppy with the brake grease and got it in places I don't want it to be including the pad surface so I have to remove them and spray them down with brake clean best I can.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:40 PM   #34
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
This thread is the reason why everyone needs an air hammer in their arsenal. Air hammer + a torch will unstick anything, pretty much. Also, when you put new rotors on make sure you whizzy wheel your hub faces and coat them generously in anti-seize, makes this unlikely to happen again.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote