follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-17-2017, 07:27 PM   #29
Subsonic

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
The only issue with heel-toe downshift in this car is the fact that they set the throttle pedal down so far compared to the brake and that makes it difficult to roll the heel enough to hit the throttle with low brake pedal efforts. Because I've specifically practised it a lot, I can do it fine now but I've come to the conclusion that it's just never worth the effort. If I'm only going to be braking with so little pedal effort in the first place, I'm better off just doing a regular rev-match downshift early and then brake normally a touch later.
I disagree, I think the throttle pedal is at the perfect height for heel toeing while on the track. It may be too low for street driving because if you are being soft on the brake, then the throttle pedal is harder to reach with your heel.

That said, I heel toe every time I am down shifting while braking. It makes the ride so much smoother for me and any passengers.
Subsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #30
ApexEight

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT SSM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I too heel toe on virtually every down shift. With the Cusco pedal, it's quite easy, even when not getting deep into the brakes.

I do wish the pedal was a little closer though. I see what @Subsonic is saying, but if it were just below the plane of the brakes I think it'd be better. The "tab" of the Cusco pedal kinda points down so I think it would still would be good. Idk, it's just a bit unnerving to feel to me to have my foot so far below the brake pedal during spirited driving.

All these pedal spacers are overpriced in my opinion. I'm not willing to pay that much for such a small thing.
ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:23 PM   #31
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
I disagree, I think the throttle pedal is at the perfect height for heel toeing while on the track. It may be too low for street driving because if you are being soft on the brake, then the throttle pedal is harder to reach with your heel.

That said, I heel toe every time I am down shifting while braking. It makes the ride so much smoother for me and any passengers.
When on track, heel-toe is easy because you push the brake pedal down far enough to make rolling the heel to hit the throttle easy. It's only a pain on the street because I don't push the brake far at all. Because I have such a hard time rolling my heel enough to blip the throttle, I'm smoother and more consistent just revmatch downshift early and then brake normally after.

I'll also note that my commute is such that I almost always have to come to a complete stop at every turn so a full heel-toe downshift just doesn't make sense for me. Once in a while I'll get a late green light where it makes sense to heel-toe downshift in order to catch the green but it's very rare for me.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #32
mrderp
ಠ_ಠ

Drives: 860 SansOverspray
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Had the Velox / Verus adapter for a bit on my zenki. It really made it more enjoyable.
That + removing the clutch spring and adjusting the clutch pedal height make a world of difference to me.
mrderp is offline   Reply With Quote