follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #71
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
Mine also has a 15% reduction pulley, Milltek exhaust, Alta intake, and a few other things so yours sounds very similar. I agree, it definitely does ride more harshly than the FR-S, though replacing the runflats has helped a lot there but yeah, it wouldn't be my ideal daily driver. The second-gen R56 Minis are more refined but are still fun. I do like how mine feels, though in small doses. It's almost like a vintage car in some ways and that goes for its appearance as well. The supercharger whine and exhaust burble are fun, too. Yep, Mini owners are weird! I'm weird, too, so I like that. The owner community really is a good part of the enjoyment with that car, if you're into such things. People who own them tend to be fun and not take things too seriously or be jerks. We just did an event in northern Michigan with over 800 cars. Minis on the Dragon is a fun annual event, etc.

I have a friend who has a Morgan 3-wheeler on order. Now that's really something that doesn't look like anything else and that I probably wouldn't want to use for a long trip,though it certainly would be fun for special drives.
The shock towers for the struts were becoming deformed from just normal driving.. The mounts aren't strong enough and the suspension was that harsh it was causing it to weaken.. Others were putting in plates to help it.. That when I ditched the mini and got my spine back..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #72
MarkS

Drives: White FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
The shock towers for the struts were becoming deformed from just normal driving.. The mounts aren't strong enough and the suspension was that harsh it was causing it to weaken.. Others were putting in plates to help it.. That when I ditched the mini and got my spine back..
Yep, the first-gen Minis have a mushrooming problem. I've got the plates to strengthen the shock tower mounts. Didn't have a problem yet but with Michigan roads, I didn't want to risk it. Ditching the runflats softened the ride considerably and I wish I had done that earlier.
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #73
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Every time I drive my dad's 2008 corolla I feel like the thing wants to escape me. The steering is so loose I'm afraid one time I'm going to turn the wheel and nothing's going to happen. Not to mention the fact that it takes twice as much distance to fully rotate the wheel in either direction than my FR-S. The only thing I like about the differences in driving is the corolla doesn't really care whether the air conditioner is on or off, while the FR-S tends to crawl a bit with it on.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #74
Optimus Prime

Drives: Whiteout 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So I haven't driven my FR-S in exactly 1 week. At first my Impreza just felt awful. A week later, I realize that at 100k, it's still a great car for what it is. The handling doesn't feel as sloppy as when I come directly from the FR-S. I say this, but I know the second I get back behind the wheel tomorrow, the Impreza is going to feel like a pig again. This past week has given me hope that I'll survive the winter without driving it though.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #75
Chad

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad&sonFRS View Post
I feel the Fr-s spoiled me, everytime i drive another car I feel dissatisfied and nervous. I guess my next car has to have equal if not better driving feel otherwise i simply won't be happy. Being that I'm young, the Fr-s already started me off to having high standards when driving a car. The Fr-s definitely spoiled me.
I highly agree, I've been spoiled as well lol. Anything else I drive just feels dull and boring now... When my FR-S was potentially going to be written off I was looking at potential alternatives (since it would be the best time to get something more "practical") but the only thing I could think of as a practical sports car with our winters here is a WRX. I really imagined owning one and then realized I just couldn't give up the awesomeness of the FR-S.

I love it so much. My next car will have to be a Porsche Cayman I guess...
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:06 AM   #76
SC David
Bloberator

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I recently got an '02 Accord 4cyl AT sedan as a daily driver. I really love being able to hop in that thing, start it up, and not stress in the slightest about hitting stop and go traffic on steep hills or parking and door dings in general. And it soaks up the terrible road surfaces around where I live, and I never have to think about angling over steep driveways, speed bumps, or parking curbs. It's like driving a couch. I hated it the first couple of days while convincing myself it was worth it, but now I love it. I don't love driving it, but I love that it's a stress free transportation device.

And now when I get in the FR-S...holy balls. Everything about it feels so much more amazing than I remembered it last...driving position, steering feel, handling, power delivery. There is no better mod for the FR-S than getting it a transportation appliance acquaintance.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #77
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC David View Post
I recently got an '02 Accord 4cyl AT sedan as a daily driver. I really love being able to hop in that thing, start it up, and not stress in the slightest about hitting stop and go traffic on steep hills or parking and door dings in general. And it soaks up the terrible road surfaces around where I live, and I never have to think about angling over steep driveways, speed bumps, or parking curbs. It's like driving a couch. I hated it the first couple of days while convincing myself it was worth it, but now I love it. I don't love driving it, but I love that it's a stress free transportation device.

And now when I get in the FR-S...holy balls. Everything about it feels so much more amazing than I remembered it last...driving position, steering feel, handling, power delivery. There is no better mod for the FR-S than getting it a transportation appliance acquaintance.
Life to short to drive a POS when you can drive the FRS for not much more..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikem53 For This Useful Post:
F-Bomb (08-12-2013)