follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #43
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
Also, more power can mean more cost, weight, and/or complexity. Every car is a compromise.
Definitely. It's not that more power "can" it is that more power "does". I couldn't have afforded the car at $30k+ sticker. That would have left me with used cars or an MX-5. Which, by the way, is around $25k for the model with the 6spd and LSD and it only has 167hp...
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #44
Onealpha

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Congrats on the car. I just picked up my Silver BRZ a week ago and feel the same way. This car is the sum of its parts. It just makes you feel good driving it. They did a great job putting this car together. It reminds me a lot of my old Boxster S. So many little details that usually get left out of a car like this that you come to expect on something like a Porsche are found with this car. It puts a smile on my face every time I push the start button. Good luck to you. The following photo is for those debating symantics on your post.
Attached Images

Onealpha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Onealpha For This Useful Post:
DylanFRS (05-14-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #45
kuhlka

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
There's nothing great about this engine, though I will admit I thought it sounded pretty good the other day at 6000 rpm in 4th gear when I was passing someone on a 2 lane section of Hwy 49 driving to Charlotte.

BTW speaking from personal experience you picked great color
Nothing great about the engine? You might want to watch Drive's latest YouTube video about the Crawford BRZ. The stock clutch apparently handles up over 400 ft lbs before it goes kaboom. IMO, this car doesn't need more power than a stock STI. Crawford himself talks about how he uses 20% throttle most of the time because it's just so absurdly fast.

The charm of this car in stock form is that it reinforces the race driver mantra of fast in fast out and has the agility and stability to throw itself into corners at high speeds with an optional drift if you get on the throttle and cut into the corner a bit sharper.

Basically what Subaru and Toyota handed us was an ideal blank canvas for those who want to go racing. It's fantastic as a stock daily driver, but if you want to dump a bit more money into it, you can have a track monster. Hell, TireRack has a 9" wheel option for the rear...
kuhlka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #46
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhlka View Post
Nothing great about the engine? You might want to watch Drive's latest YouTube video about the Crawford BRZ. The stock clutch apparently handles up over 400 ft lbs before it goes kaboom. IMO, this car doesn't need more power than a stock STI. Crawford himself talks about how he uses 20% throttle most of the time because it's just so absurdly fast.

The charm of this car in stock form is that it reinforces the race driver mantra of fast in fast out and has the agility and stability to throw itself into corners at high speeds with an optional drift if you get on the throttle and cut into the corner a bit sharper.

Basically what Subaru and Toyota handed us was an ideal blank canvas for those who want to go racing. It's fantastic as a stock daily driver, but if you want to dump a bit more money into it, you can have a track monster. Hell, TireRack has a 9" wheel option for the rear...
And I've stated that most people don't want to void their factory warranties right after buying the car. It's a horrible financial move. That's great news about the clutch. It means Subaru/Toyota can add horsepower without having to modify the drivetrain much.

I agree with you regarding stock STI horsepower levels. Around 300 hp in this car is perfect, and would require very minimal modifications to the remainder of the vehicle. But, this car is currently 50% short of that power figure.

I flog mine daily and there's no grin on my face when the tach sweeps from 5-7400. Maybe I'm too used to the "kick" of VTEC from my S2000 but I don't feel like there's much going on under the hood. It feels "flat".
Old 05-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #47
KevinBRZ

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The BRZ was never marketed or designed to target 1/4 mile times or drag racing. It was designed to bring back the feel of the older Japanese cars. It was designed to be a car you can drive everyday then take it to the track on the weekend for fun. It was made to drift around a corner and make you excited while doing it. For that, it has enough power. If you look at track times on various sites, it already beats many cars with more horsepower around a track.

I would compare this car to a work of art. Some people won't get it, some will find it amazing. I find myself wanting to go drive this car just because. The only thing I wish they would change is the torque dump at 4k rpm. I have a 450 hp car, and I hit the speed limit in 2nd gear. It's not fun to drive on the street unless you want your license revoked.
KevinBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevinBRZ For This Useful Post:
Rampage (05-17-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #48
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I flog mine daily and there's no grin on my face when the tach sweeps from 5-7400. Maybe I'm too used to the "kick" of VTEC from my S2000 but I don't feel like there's much going on under the hood. It feels "flat".
I agree with this. The car is not very rewarding when wringing (sp?) it out. It actually feels the same driving 6/10ths vs 10/10ths. <-- Which I guess is good or bad depending how you like your cars to react. lol Come to think of it, it's not too different from the STi's engine. The STi feels great in low end & feels like its in pain on the high end.
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #49
WolfpackS2k

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBRZ View Post
The BRZ was never marketed or designed to target 1/4 mile times or drag racing. It was designed to bring back the feel of the older Japanese cars. It was designed to be a car you can drive everyday then take it to the track on the weekend for fun. It was made to drift around a corner and make you excited while doing it. For that, it has enough power. If you look at track times on various sites, it already beats many cars with more horsepower around a track.

I would compare this car to a work of art. Some people won't get it, some will find it amazing. I find myself wanting to go drive this car just because. The only thing I wish they would change is the torque dump at 4k rpm. I have a 450 hp car, and I hit the speed limit in 2nd gear. It's not fun to drive on the street unless you want your license revoked.
Even if you enjoy driving it all the time you can't deny the engine sucks. It has no personality and sounds horrible (stock at least). Not a lot of joy to derive from it, something even my GSR has. Maybe Honda high revvers have spoiled me
Old 05-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #50
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Agree, the FA20 isn't the best-sounding engine up top. The Honda B and K series had a crisper engine note. It does pull decently from 4500-redline though.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #51
86'd

Drives: 2012 WRX Sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

This is one of my main worries and posted a similar complaint in another thread.

The sound and rush of a high redline are just extra intangibles that are missing from the engine of the FR-S.

This was also my complaint about the K20A3 engine in the Civic SI. Which has an eerily similar powerband. That was a good engine too, in fact it was great. It was reliable, decent on gas (regular gas too), just not memorable. If it had a K20A2 I might not have given that car up.

----

On the other hand, the sound of my WRX is awesome and really adds character to an otherwise bland car. The power band isn't my style, but the burble it makes at low RPM, the small backfires, and the sound when you wring it out...sounds really, really good. All of this with the stock exhaust and no sound tube.

----

The irony is that the FR-S is a subjectively great, fun car with a objectively good engine. The FR-S, by virtue of the intangibles (shifter, seating position, handling) stirs the soul, but the engine doesn't. I would argue that the engine doesn't detract from the experience, but it doesn't really add anything intangible either. The engine doesn't stir the soul like the rest of the car does, IMO, and it really should.
86'd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86'd For This Useful Post:
AznBRZer (05-14-2013), WolfpackS2k (05-14-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #52
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86'd View Post
The irony is that the FR-S is a subjectively great, fun car with a objectively good engine. The FR-S, by virtue of the intangibles (shifter, seating position, handling) stirs the soul, but the engine doesn't. I would argue that the engine doesn't detract from the experience, but it doesn't really add anything intangible either. The engine doesn't stir the soul like the rest of the car does, IMO, and it really should.
Outside of modifications there's no way to alter the performance of the engine, but I've found that my exhaust really lets me enjoy the engine at least aurally. Especially in parking garages. I don't think it's as limp as everyone says, but I wouldn't mind more ponies.

Last edited by OrbitalEllipses; 05-14-2013 at 02:49 PM.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
DylanFRS (05-15-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #53
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I too, miss the vtec kicking in on my RSX. The BRZ just doesn't have the same engine note despite being more powerful(I had the base model).
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #54
Whitigir
Banned

Drives: 450 awhp twin turbo vr4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86'd View Post
This is one of my main worries and posted a similar complaint in another thread.

The sound and rush of a high redline are just extra intangibles that are missing from the engine of the FR-S.

This was also my complaint about the K20A3 engine in the Civic SI. Which has an eerily similar powerband. That was a good engine too, in fact it was great. It was reliable, decent on gas (regular gas too), just not memorable. If it had a K20A2 I might not have given that car up.

----

On the other hand, the sound of my WRX is awesome and really adds character to an otherwise bland car. The power band isn't my style, but the burble it makes at low RPM, the small backfires, and the sound when you wring it out...sounds really, really good. All of this with the stock exhaust and no sound tube.

----

I totally am agreed with you
Whitigir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #55
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Of course it feels flat. It's a flat engine. Duh!

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_engine"]Flat engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
Old 05-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #56
WolfpackS2k

Garage