follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
The Robot Cow

Drives: 1985 Corolla Gt-s coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I need some advice

Hey there, I currently own a 1985 Corolla Gts. I truly love this car but I've been thinking about selling it once its done and getting a FRS. I truly love my corolla but I think I would be better off with the FRS.

For one my corolla needs a "special smog". Its only getting harder and stricter to pass. Safety is also nonexistent in the corolla. I did just have the engine rebuilt in the corolla but nothing will beat having it fresh from the factory. Another thing is that corolla parts are becoming harder to find and more expensive.

One thing that has always bothered me about my corolla since I bought it was that I can't call it mine. It was pretty much done when I got it. Still feel like its the old owner's car. I didn't get to build this. With the FRS I can do that.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
norsamerican

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Keep the corrolla and drive it once in a while. I dont know what state you are in but some states allow older cars to be registered as classic cars and only have to pass a safety inspection. I would keep the car and put a cover on it. If you arent hurting for money.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Hindi

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yea keep and drive the gts and buy a frs. You won't get much for a gts and if you expect to get much it probably will not sell quickly. Also don't expect parts for the frs to be cheaper the ae86 parts....
It should be smog exempt here soon any ways, 25 years right?
Besides I love driving my frs but it doesn't put the same smile on my face as my ae86, and I think I would regret not owning one.
CrazyWookiee (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
monkeedoo
Senor Member

Drives: ME CRAZY
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
sell it! sounds like you're over the corolla. let someone else enjoy it and get the car you really want
monkeedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
The Robot Cow

Unfortunately here in California it won't be smog exempt. It has to be '75 or older.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Sound's like it's just a question of time, your corolla won't last forever and you will lust the FR-S as long as you don't own one. Just do it.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
root

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I sold my '85 GTS and didn't look back. I'm glad the kid I sold it to then sold it to a true AE86 enthusiast who is doing it right. He's pretty much stripping it down, repairing rust the correct way, painting, fixing interior. Stuff that I didn't have the motivation to do.
It's nice having a modern new car. Such novel luxuries like power windows! After four months of driving the FRS, I still sometimes find myself reaching for the window crank when I get into the car!
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
tmcmullins

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Might as well get the frs and call it a day. California (not sure where OP is from) has a retirement program. They'll give you $1000 for your car. Not much but hey, every little bit helps.
tmcmullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
Cade01

Drives: '13 White FR-S, 09 Triumph St.3 R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcmullins View Post
California (not sure where OP is from) has a retirement program. They'll give you $1000 for your car. Not much but hey, every little bit helps.
Whatever you do absolutely don't do this!!! When you turn a car in to a program like this they usually crush older cars! Just sell it to someone who will love it for what it is, sell it to some one in a state that doesn't have smog requirements everywhere like Oregon. Just don't let it get crushed.
Cade01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
The Robot Cow

Trust me, there's no way I would ever crush this car.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
Ryuu0u
(=^・ェ・^=)

Drives: 2013 FRS, '08 GSXR 600
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Move out of Nazifornia.
Ryuu0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
truenosan

Drives: 13 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If you can afford to keep both cars, I'd just keep em both. I didn't sell my old AE86 for the FR-S, however, I did get rid of it for my old WRX. I still feel sad to this day.

As fun as the FR-S is, it just isn't the same. I just recently picked up another project AE86
truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to truenosan For This Useful Post:
Hindi (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #13
GNS

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robot Cow View Post
Hey there, I currently own a 1985 Corolla Gts. I truly love this car but I've been thinking about selling it once its done and getting a FRS. I truly love my corolla but I think I would be better off with the FRS.

For one my corolla needs a "special smog". Its only getting harder and stricter to pass. Safety is also nonexistent in the corolla. I did just have the engine rebuilt in the corolla but nothing will beat having it fresh from the factory. Another thing is that corolla parts are becoming harder to find and more expensive.

One thing that has always bothered me about my corolla since I bought it was that I can't call it mine. It was pretty much done when I got it. Still feel like its the old owner's car. I didn't get to build this. With the FRS I can do that.

What do you guys think?

I don't understand what's holding you back from getting an FR-S. This would have been an easy decision for me - drive the corolla until you can score a killer deal on a new FR-S. At least you have a car you can drive around in while waiting for the right moment to strike.
GNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #14
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I would keep both if I could, that Corolla is only going to get rarer and there will come a day when you miss it dearly (just personal experience there, many many people sell their cool old car and have zero regrets).

If you need to sell the corolla to be able to afford the FRS it may not be the wisest decision financially considering the corolla is a relatively small amount in comparison to the ToyoBaru.

And on paper if you can afford it there's no reason not to, I haven't heard many complaints (first year issues aside, maybe a dozen people have lemon lawed theirs, a couple went right back and bought new ones again) and most reviewers say that they captured the essence of the last 86 so it's just a straight improvement.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote