follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
Basti

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OEM wiring for heated seats

So I bought my BRZ w/o heated seats. The deal on them in my country is just not what I have in mind, simple as that.
Now I bought me those nice, cheap mats for installation right into the seats.
This is no biggie as I've done it 5 times over already in different cars.
The whole process of installing the mats takes some time if you want to do it right but it's not really hard if you've got good hands and some practice.

What I really hate (in general) is the electrical wiring. If possible, I want to rely on stock conections as much as possible.
Here are a few facts I'm starting off with:

1.the under-dash fuse box has two fuses ready for L/R heated seats
2.all cars from Japan are delivered w/o heated seats, the upgrade is done "in port", as with the leather seats
3.I'm having trouble removing the fuse box from its retention lock

All of which leads me to the following assumptions:

-At least the fuse box must be pre-wired to facilitate installation of heated seats
-For ease of installation, a huge chunk of wiring must already be in the car.
Why make two wiring harness versions?! They surely can't expect distribution center personnel to tear apart the whole interior

I'm a person who likes "clean" installs to a degree. What I want is to tap right into some pre-existing heated seats wiring plug, put in two fuses and be done with it.

Now what I need from the community is someone to help me figure out where exactly I might find a good tapping point.
Considering making a DIY about this.

Problem is, I can't remove the seats to check those connectors atm because delivery of the E10 nut is taking its damn time.

Ideas, anyone?
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have an frs, removed seats once to do the covers nicely. I seem to recall there being extra wiring next to the sensors wiring that was there. I do not have photos,so I don't think I can help you. I do remember there being a good bit of wiring down there.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:41 AM   #3
greencounty

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Do you have the D32(LH) and D33(RH) connectors in the consol under the cover where the heated seat switch goes? From the wiring diagram, it appears that the hot wire from the fuses go directly to the switch assembly.

LH should be white. RH should be red.
1969 Mustang Fastback 4MT - Royal Maroon
greencounty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greencounty For This Useful Post:
vividracing (10-10-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
vividracing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Good luck with the install! Be sure to report back with detail of the install, very interested to see how this can be done!
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:46 AM   #5
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti View Post

Ideas, anyone?
I beat you to it...

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45148

(or at least this is what I learned doing mine...)

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #6
Basti

Drives: BRZ
Interesting install, I've done the heated seat install on three cars previously so there's a kind of routine to mine. I Wouldn't go through as much work as you because I need the space they originally go into for something else (YES I'm one of those lucky few who got use for that space )

I see you've put a lot of work into making your system as OEM looking as possible but I'm trying not to splice as many cables.
When I had the seat out I could also for the life of me not find any loose connectors. Nothing waiting for me to just plug&play

What'd be nice is if we had an official source telling us where the connectors lie. Maybe even someone owning OEM heated seats kind enough to track the harness for us. I'm also using fuse taps for now but considering this to be a temporary solution. Temporary meaning indefinitely....
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti View Post
I see you've put a lot of work into making your system as OEM looking as possible but I'm trying not to splice as many cables.
When I had the seat out I could also for the life of me not find any loose connectors. Nothing waiting for me to just plug&play
Yeah that's the thing; nothing's there that shouldn't be. The reason I had to make the harness is because none of the connectors or wires for the heaters, the switches or the power for them are present in the car if it didn't come with them.

If you car is equipped with heated seats, the harness part numbers for the interior (which include the leads and connectors) are different. The correct harnesses are $$$! at your local Subaru dealer (don't even bother trying to to get the "Monogram" parts from a Toyota dealer)

That's also why I keyed everything with numbers/shapes and took the pictures of the back side of the connectors. I wanted to give anyone a chance to create the connections without having to buy/beg/steal the correct parts.

Quote:

So what if you don’t have the harness connections? I took pictures of the plugs in their jacks so you would know which wire corresponds to which connection (see my modified wiring diagram above).

With some extra work and a trip or two to NAPA to find aftermarket four conductor male/female harness parts you can do this without cutting the connections from an existing harness.
I'm currently working on getting the LHD OEM HID's to work like they do in the JDM units complete with the leveling motors and it's the same deal; I have to make a custom harness for it to work.

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #8
spitsnaugle

Drives: LS Swapped Scion FRS = 440HP
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Does anyone have part numbers for the connectors that go to the switches or seats? I can pin them if I can just find them.
spitsnaugle is offline   Reply With Quote