follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-05-2024, 12:10 PM   #1
gshopper

Drives: 2003 330i, 2019 BRZ (blue, with PP)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Questions about accusump/ accumulators

(Please forgive crosspost.... not sure which forum is best for this topic)

I just got my 2019 BRZ back from my mechanic with a brand new engine. The previous engine exploded at the track (threw a rod, basically grenaded my engine). Probable cause was oil starvation despite using 5W40, an oil cooler, and a 0.5 quart overfill.

I track my car regularly, use 200 TW tires, and run in the advanced/ instructor groups. I am concerned about my new engine, as my home tracks (NJMP) have some big right sweepers.

I am considering installing a 2 Quart accusump (larger because we have some looooong right corners). It looks pretty straightforward, but I have a few questions. I will probably use an electronic switch which should allow the accusump to fill even when it is off.

If I have the switch on while the engine is idling, the oil pressure during idle is pretty low (10-15 PSI?) so the accusump would fill the engine with oil until the pressure in the accusump is equal to the idle pressure, and would result in most of the oil going into the pan. If I have the engine slightly overfilled before the accusump empties, then this would create an even greater overfill, probably with some foaming, and other bad results.

Pressure-triggered switches would probably be just as bad, as they would also open and dump oil into the gallery when the engine is idling.

Should I keep the switch off most of the time and then only open it when the car is moving and the RPMs are above idle (and oil pressure is higher)? Then make sure to switch it off before letting the engine slow to idle?

How can I keep from seriously overfilling the pan with oil when the engine is at idle and the switch is open? A manual switch would be worse, as I would have to turn it on while the engine is idling, then get into the car and drive.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Do I have an appropriate understanding of how things work??

Thanks.

Glenn
gshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 12:44 PM   #2
fminicooper

Drives: FRS Hot Lava
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Glenn,
Have you been running any kind of baffle pan?
fminicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 03:34 PM   #3
gshopper

Drives: 2003 330i, 2019 BRZ (blue, with PP)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
No baffle pan. None of them seem to do much as far as I can tell. Your experience different?
gshopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accumulator, accusump, oil, oil starvation