follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #15
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
What about the Evora? It's 2+2, 3.5L mid engine V6, too and decent fuel economy to boot.

I wonder if it is more comfortable to drive than an Elise.
Eh. I can't get excited about the Evora... it has all the downsides of a Lotus but no real advantages over a 911. The Elise is exceptional because it's tiny and weighs under 2000 lbs. The Evora is not tiny, not especially light, and is just kind of seems like a tacky-looking full-sized sportscar with a forgettable engine. I'd much rather have a 911.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #16
IronSean

Drives: 2006 Toyota Camry
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So to sum it up:
1) Tommi test drove the tS model we all knew existed already.
2) Tommi noted that they made many components better.
3) Either he or the articles equated that better components = handle more power.
4) They then ASSUMED because the tS was capable of handling more power, it means they will be adding more in the future, and that they were building it specifically to prepare for more power.

That could be true, and it could be a stepping stone model to prepare for a more powerful engine on a platform proven to be able to handle it. Or it could just be a Subaru approved and tuned better starting point for someone looking to add aftermarket boost because many of the components that need to be replaced already have been.

The point is this doesn't tell us either way.
IronSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #17
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Has anyone ever considered that even if they make a BRZ STI that it most likely wouldn't be released worldwide, especially in the US?

The BRZ is a low volume vehicle as it is. The cost to export an even more limited quantity would equate to a very high price, which will be hard to justify.

STI variants of other Subaru vehicles other than the Impreza/WRX have always been extremely limited release (usually one or two other countries outside of Japan, and again never in the US or even North America)

SoA has spent an insane amount of resources and time essentially building "STi" as a model name rather than their aftermarket arm. It's why in the US you see a lot of the general population baffled by the prospect of a BRZ STI ("I thought all STis are imprezas")

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (02-14-2014), krayzie (02-18-2014), mav1178 (02-18-2014), SuperDave (02-23-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #18
skye67

Drives: 2013 black AT, OFT, 4.65
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Back on topic..there is no reason for a STI BRZ. The STI WRX offered things like a 6speed and variable center diff, stuff you did not get in a plain WRX. With all the after market stuff for the BRZ, what could a STI version offer to us?
skye67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #19
Subaruwrxfan

Drives: 2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye67 View Post
With all the after market stuff for the BRZ, what could a STI version offer to us?
All the goodies of the aftermarket, but with a Subaru warranty and OEM quality.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #20
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruwrxfan View Post

Exactly.

The inevitable asterisk attached, however, is that all of these goodies may come at a real premium, costing so much more that many young enthusiasts would prefer to take those extra dollars and mod it with their own choice of components to "personalize" the car for themselves.

Subaru could make their STi a bargain, or they could price it so that the cars languish on the lots after the initial enthusiasm wears off.

I might pay as much as $2-$3000 more, but that's it. We'll see what they do. And, as one fellow noted, it's possible the STi might not be brought to the USA. Who knows?

BTW, @Subaruwrxfan, this is the first time I've seen you posting here, and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for the excellent videos you produce. You do nice work; I like your youthful enthusiasm and I enjoy your work. You're a pleasant young man, striving to produce quality, helpful videos, and you're an asset to the community. Well done.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
Subaruwrxfan (03-02-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #21
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
SoA has spent an insane amount of resources and time essentially building "STi" as a model name rather than their aftermarket arm. It's why in the US you see a lot of the general population baffled by the prospect of a BRZ STI ("I thought all STis are imprezas")
I've had enuf local people on the street asking me if my STI BRZ wheels are fake or from some really old WRX STI?

This is like me wearing my Grand Seiko Auto and everybody locally getting confused when they see it (is that a Seiko 5?).

Last edited by krayzie; 02-18-2014 at 03:23 PM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
DSOmegaX (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #22
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
Has anyone ever considered that even if they make a BRZ STI that it most likely wouldn't be released worldwide, especially in the US?

The BRZ is a low volume vehicle as it is. The cost to export an even more limited quantity would equate to a very high price, which will be hard to justify.

STI variants of other Subaru vehicles other than the Impreza/WRX have always been extremely limited release (usually one or two other countries outside of Japan, and again never in the US or even North America)

Yup.

This is the reason why I won't just go out and jump on news of a STi car... especially from forums or online news sources.

This mixing of brand/product makes Subaru weaker overall in the automotive market. What's the point of a BRZ STi tS spec-Z LE trim if the only target audience is existing STi fans/owners? That's really REALLY poor product planning on Subaru/STi's part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skye67 View Post
Back on topic..there is no reason for a STI BRZ. The STI WRX offered things like a 6speed and variable center diff, stuff you did not get in a plain WRX. With all the after market stuff for the BRZ, what could a STI version offer to us?
It can't offer us anything. That's the whole problem...

STi = factory tuned higher performance version of whatever regular car you had.

We wouldn't be a target audience unless it had more power. The target audience is for anyone looking for a BRZ that wanted more than the average BRZ, but wasn't willing to go too crazy on aftermarket mods.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
DSOmegaX (02-18-2014), krayzie (02-21-2014), SirBrass (02-19-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #23
turbobee

Drives: Ford Ranger (^_-)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruwrxfan View Post
Hey Subaruwrxfan, I also want to thank you for all of your awesome video reviews. I've watched quite a few of your videos and definitely appreciate all of the hard work and time you put into them.
turbobee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turbobee For This Useful Post:
Porsche (03-02-2014), Subaruwrxfan (03-02-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #24
DaJo
FT86Club Vancouver

Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech; Drove: MR-S, AE86
Thanked 1,178 Times in 633 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I rather build my own... More fun that way.

2013 BRZ Sport-Tech 6AT
Since '12 (OEM+ STI tS Build)
2015 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport 2 2015-2018
2018 Lexus NX300 F-Sport 3 Since '18
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaJo For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 12:10 AM   #25
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJo View Post
I rather build my own... More fun that way.
Having come from an STI to a brz, this is true. Lots more fun to pick your aspiration/induction method & build the car as you want it.

Such tuner car. Many fun. Much satisfaction.

I'm on my phone so if I make mistakes, blame Sportsguy83

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:59 AM   #26
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Which why only lepers and the insane would daily drive a Lotus.
My dad daily drives his Caterham in the summer, its the least comfortable car ive ever been in, worse than a sport bike even I think.
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #27
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Blog entry on TTAC today that reads: "Slow Sales Of Scion FR-S Disappoint Toyota, Jeopardize Engine Upgrades"

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...gine-upgrades/

And this comment from juicy sushi on that page puts it best:

"How would it be possible for Toyota to do it cheaper? The small engine was part of the concept, as a cheaper, lighter drivetrain was possible. 400hp requires axles and other oily bits to match. Toyota could do that, but not for $25k. The internet hype machine has spawned an entire mob of over-entitled armchair engineers with no clue how much it costs to actually develop and build a car.

With reference to real numbers and processes, please demonstrate how to research, develop and build a new sports car with a global market of around 25k units per year, at a retail price of less than $25k. Once done, try and do the same thing while working with a yen/dollar exchange rate of ¥80-$1 (which was the exchange rate Toyota and Subaru faced during development).

It’s a great car in a tougher market than any competitor ever debuted in.

Would Mazda do the Miata today without 25 years of brand equity behind it? Would Ford do a Mustang? Of course not. There is no business case for it, and internet car enthusiasts with their sense of entitlement and snobbish ignorance would reject them. Car enthusiasts killed enthusiast cars."

And the follow-up:

"It happened because Toyota’s CEO wanted to build a sports car for the average human being. And no, the costs of development are not the consumer’s problem. They are the problem for every bullshit argument people are trotting out in these comments about needing more power, or a better interior or a cheaper price. People like to ponitificate on why this thing is a market failure, with no understanding of exactly what it takes to get a car to market.

Toyota may not have felt they would have done much more than break even on this thing. They may even think that’s impossible. I think the FR-S exists simply because Akio Toyoda wanted to do it. The only way he could get the board and accountants to go along with that was to do it in conjunction with Subaru, using the existing parts bin.

It may very well be that the demographics and tastes of the car buying public have shifted to the point where affordable sports cars are no longer economically viable. If that’s the case, then people really need to stop whining about what the Toyobaru isn’t, and just be thankful anyone attempted it, because that likely will not happen again.

Car enthusiasts have killed the enthusiast car. Their impossible demands and lack of actual cash to back their rhetoric up have shown to manufacturers that they aren’t worth listening to. The comments in this thread are pretty clear evidence of that."

Last edited by krayzie; 02-21-2014 at 07:40 AM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Atropine (02-24-2014), AznBRZer (02-23-2014), InvalidJohnny5 (02-23-2014), Levi (02-25-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 08:12 PM   #28
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Drives: ~.~
Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,249 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Blog entry on TTAC today that reads: "Slow Sales Of Scion FR-S Disappoint Toyota, Jeopardize Engine Upgrades"

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...gine-upgrades/
That's great news!

Kelbyat07 is offline   Reply With Quote