follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Xdragonxb0i

Drives: ex500r
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
a question about car buying

So this will be the first time I will buy a car,
my problem is that i only currently have a Motorcycle at the moment, and perfer not the ride in the snow. More then likely i will buy the BRZ over Frs, but knowing that both cars are in limited quanititys, i am thinking about putting 2-4grand down, and buy a car now (2013 Mazda Cx-5) and possibly trading it in 6months, a year, or two later; whenever i can get a BRZ of my choosing. i am not sure how much money i would lose on the trade in?

The reason why i am thinking about a cx-5 is that it fits my lifestyle more, an active outdoorsy college student. The BRZ is just a car that i been wanting for a long time, since 2006. i don't mind sacrificing space. So i am just truly asking your opinion on a financial viewpoint, and an outlook about the quantity of BRZ. I would like to have a car by Janurary, is it reasonable to believe that there will be plenty to go around?
Xdragonxb0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
Subie
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 SSM DZE BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Do NOT buy a car with the intention of trading it in that soon. You lose at minimum 20% the day you drive the car off the lot. Also, 2 to 4 thousand down is very little. At minimum you want to put down enough that you don't owe more on the car than it's worth, and that's after factoring in money for taxes and fees. This whole business of putting down small amounts, buying gap insurance, etc. that many people practice is not a good idea unless you know for a fact that you can make more money off your own money than you are paying in interest.

If you do decide to get a CX-5, wait at least a couple years before buying a BRZ. By then Subaru should have worked out the initial bugs that buyers like myself are experiencing. If you really want a BRZ, don't buy a CX-5; buy something used and cheap if you must so you'll lose little to no money provided you get a good deal.
Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
WRXGuy1

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Agreed, DO NOT do that. You will lose thousands of dollars if you buy it and sell it a day, week, month, or year later.

WRXGuy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Imagine selling your car and still owing the bank a few thousand and you have no car.
ngabdala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdragonxb0i View Post
So this will be the first time I will buy a car,
my problem is that i only currently have a Motorcycle at the moment, and perfer not the ride in the snow. More then likely i will buy the BRZ over Frs, but knowing that both cars are in limited quanititys, i am thinking about putting 2-4grand down, and buy a car now (2013 Mazda Cx-5) and possibly trading it in 6months, a year, or two later; whenever i can get a BRZ of my choosing. i am not sure how much money i would lose on the trade in?

...I would like to have a car by Janurary, is it reasonable to believe that there will be plenty to go around?
I thought I would never find a BRZ or FR-S either.. but then kept digging, searching, and finally found the one I wanted. I have to get it shipped from out of state, but that's not alot to pay for the car you really want. I've found alot of the dealers up in the Northeast tend to have more available. Granted, it's 1 or 2 more than other dealers, but that's alot considering its rarity right now.

If you truly are going to wait, I hope you can make that motorcyle work for all your travel needs. Spending that much money on a NEW car, only to trade it in or sell it 6 months later is gonna lose you alot of money. You could be saving that money for the down payment on your new BRZ
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
hyper4mance

Drives: 13 BRZ, 97 e36 M3 Rides: '07 600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Agreed. If you are still in college or just coming out, to me its not financially feasible to have two cars even for a short period of time. Maybe consider buying a used car now and then selling it when you pick up the next year's brz after the bugs are worked out? Or you could see the used brz market at that time too, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a crazy deal. Just some thoughts...
Old 08-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #7

Drives: BRZ MT SWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
come on, you are young. you will have lots of time in a SUV later.
buy a used car(e.g. rsx-s, sir,miata) while waiting for brz peirod
8987846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #8
michaelahess

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ Lim, 2006 Dodge RAM MC
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Put that 4k towards a beater four wheel drive in the interim. You may only get a few grand back if you trade, but by the time you find the BRZ/FR-S you want, you'll have been able to save up more money, and keep both. I would not have bought my BRZ if I didn't have either a FWD or 4WD for winter.

For me the BRZ is a fine DD, but my requirements for daily driving are very low compared to many. I bring myself to work, nothing with me or on me other than my phones and leatherman. If I had my old position back, the BRZ would only be a weekend/evening car. As you drive a bike right now, you may be in a similar situation. Make sure your mind is set correctly for your usage, otherwise you will be disappointed after you get it. Unless you have that other vehicle.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #9
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Don't buy new and then trade in a year later. ($25k new plus say $1,500 taxes and fees plus financing - then you get $18-19k on trade in. $7k loss in a year!) Instead buy used, private party.

You can buy a car for $7k, keep it for a year, and anything you sell it for after that would be a gain over what the new/trade-in route would be. Choose a car right - 3yrs old, still maybe under original warranty, doesn't need work, then sell it a year later - you may only lose $1-2k, depending on the car.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ashtray For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-03-2012)