follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #71
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
If you want the product (demand), then you will be reasonable. If you don't really care one way or the other and it''s just the price, I'd tell you to fuck off in so few words.

Who knows, maybe you are just good at getting your way. Perhaps you should work on commission sales too so you can use those bargaining skills to your advantage and control your income. Many of the wealthiest people are in some form of sales.
I guess that's where our disconnect is. My typical style is all research done beforehand and a certain price target in mind. I fail to see how a 5-10 minute test drive and a couple brief phone calls resulting in a purchase well above invoice is unreasonable or any sort of undue hardship on the salesman. I dare say those I have bought from have spent no more than a few hours total dealing with me and the commission that they still get probably works out to a pretty good hourly rate.

I will say one thing that doesn't help my demand for cars is the amount of readily available comparable examples on the used market. There's always that fine line to walk on as far as whether or not the deal is good enough to justify spending more for new.

As far as getting into sales and dealing with the general public, no thanks. I'm quite happy that my current occupation doesn't involve dealing with a group of people that has such a high concentration of ingrates and cretins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenfri View Post
When I buy a car I want to get the best price possible, but I also don't want to waste the sales person's time and I expect my time not to be wasted as well. I want the salesperson to do the least amount of work possible to give me the best deal. Honestly I would just assume order the car direct if I could and not deal with any sales middle man. They don't offer any value add at all for me. I've done my research and I know what I want. When my wife bought her last new car the salesperson tried to play these games and waste our time, make us wait around etc and we walked out. We later negotiated directly with the sales manager and got a great deal. We knew exactly what we wanted and just wanted him to order it for a good price. When I ordered this car I didn't even step into a dealership.

If you expect the salesperson to do a lot for you then yea you should probably be paying more, but I don't want to pay money for someone to just enter my order into a computer.
This. The sales people who have done me a favor are the ones who cut the BS and get me in and out the door quickly. I reward them with no nonsense and a quick conclusion of business.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yardjass For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (12-30-2016), goldenfri (12-30-2016), Lynxis (12-31-2016), wbradley (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 03:19 PM   #72
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post

As far as getting into sales and dealing with the general public, no thanks. I'm quite happy that my current occupation doesn't involve dealing with a group of people that has such a high concentration of ingrates and cretins.

This. The sales people who have done me a favor are the ones who cut the BS and get me in and out the door quickly. I reward them with no nonsense and a quick conclusion of business.
Sales is a broad description of one's line of work. There are degenerates in every vocation.

I do agree with a quick in and out. I doubt I ever spent more than an hour tops at a dealer when making a purchase.

Typically, successful sales people have good people skills and are likable types. It's not for everyone, that's for sure.

Many sale managers motivate their team by appealing to extreme greed. The sales meetings can be very ridiculous. And of course there are lots of people who make their living by ripping people off. That isnt my bag. In the long run Id be too busy looking over my shoulder all the time.

Two slightly depressing sales movies worth watching:

Glengarry Glenross, good acting and story
Suckers, poignant exageration of sales greed especially the guy crying in the shower with the sales contract he signed.

Worth watching a few Youtube segments.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:20 PM   #73
Token11b

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I sold cars from 2006-2007. It was decent money, right when the bubble was bursting. When dealing with other car salesman I let them know a couple things. 1) don't waste my time. 2) Don't try to sell me on something I don't walk or I'll leave 3) Don't bullshit me. I'm not gonna get crushed on the deal but I'm also gonna let you make some money off me for your time.

The guy I bought my FRS from was cool. I told him what I was looking for. He grabbed the keys and a plate and went on the test drive. Then as we were pulling back he mentioned something that I'd like and got keys for a mazdaspeed 3. The guy was cool so I bought from him. I had previously been to 10+ other dealers and they lost me due to trying to break one of my 3 rules.
Token11b is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Token11b For This Useful Post:
why? (12-31-2016)