follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #29
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
I've often wondered the same thing as the OP...how will these cars hold up to some mileage? This is my first Subaru built car. Most of my imports have been used Hondas, and some of them haven't really been overly well cared for before I got my hands on them. I've seen lots of Hondas like that with 2, 3, and even 400,000 on the clock, and they just keep going 'til the body falls apart. The same goes for old Toyotas. I've noticed that Subarus in the hands of people who aren't on top of maintenance and appearance start to look and act pretty rough at a much younger age. I'm pretty anal about maintenance, so I'm not too worried about it, but the thought did cross my mind before I bought my FR-S.
I'm positive Subaru makes one of the best long lasting engines out there. Plus, knowing Toyota, I'm sure they would have chosen the right company to make their best if the best sports car knowing how well and long Toyotas last
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #30
naikaidriver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Asphalt
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopyalien24 View Post
A la 240sx

Dang dashboards all cracked but KA's running strong
From what I have learned with other cars that have similar interiors such as my BMW 325ci and MR2s, the first things to wear out on the FRS will be the lower corners of the seats. Then the carpets, the door covers and then the dash. All will be showing their age before 100k.

I think that mechanically, the car will keep running for a long time, but the parts interior will not hold up due to the cheaper materials.

Scott
Old 03-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #31
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I don't have any concerns about the engine. The Boxer configuration is the majority of what drives modern piston aircraft engines (well as modern as aircraft engines are).

In addition Subaru engines are often run in conversions on aircraft where they are used at 80% to 95% of power for hours on end. I've put my butte at risk flying with a Subi in gyrocopters and planes. They just do their job and keep doing them.

The rest of the car will require maintenance just like the engine. Are you asking "will it make it that long with no parts wearing out?" no. But if you maintain the car, and replace parts as they wear out (cosmetic or otherwise) I suspect it will last that long.

Given I have a history of long-lived cars (2 over 250K miles, several over 150K) I see no reason why the 86 can't last at least as long as a Chevy Astro.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #32
F-Bomb

Drives: Scion xA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The thing that scares me is the fact that I work in parts at a Chevy dealership which has a Subaru dealership in the same parking lot and whenever I gotta cover Subaru a vast majority of the subaru's in service is a head job. I still want a brz in the next couple years no matter what but my only fear is that it wouldn't make it to 100k
F-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #33
MiguelAE86

Drives: NB Miata
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You know, this brings attention to the recent BMW + Toyota merger.

Yes, they merged for hybrid technology, but they ALSO merged to produce a sportscar. (New Supra most likely)

Source: http://blog.toyota.co.uk/tada-talks-...-drinking-beer

Quote:
I am hoping for a synergy effect with BMW that will result in a product that none of us could have imagined; something more than anyone expects. I would like that to be something like a sports car… I would even go so far as to say that for the collaboration to work we have to bring a product which exceeds all these expectations.
Now, how well might that one last?
MiguelAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #34
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A5D5TRYR View Post
There's a reason that Subaru's retain a rediculously high residual value and seem expensive when you look to buy them used. Mind you certain years have had problems (08+ STI's and their ringland failures, 09 WRX with spun bearings) but on the whole they last very well and retain their value very well. I think I remember reading that something like 90 or 95% of the subarus built in the last 10 years are still on the road.

From what I remember reading on here someone said the ringlands are a fair bit beefier on the FA20 so that shouldn't be an issue. Beyond the goofy problems with the CAM timing or whatever it is I have no concerns about the engine in this car lasting. The paint on the other hand... that was the worst (and only) thing that I'm sad to see Subaru contribute to the twins.
Subaru and Toyota have blessed us with stronger internals than previous engines, amen

now i can eat

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #35
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Cant speak to the engine, but based on the cheap stamped underside components and effort put int to lightness at the cost of rust protection, I am not optimistic that the car will look very appealing or be low maintenance past about year 7 for those that live in the snowbelt regions.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #36
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Paint won't last 200K, i'll bet my last Mallomars.
Guff (04-01-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #37
aCab

Drives: FR-S & S2k
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHOME View Post
Cant speak to the engine, but based on the cheap stamped underside components and effort put int to lightness at the cost of rust protection, I am not optimistic that the car will look very appealing or be low maintenance past about year 7 for those that live in the snowbelt regions.

I don't really think that when designing a sports car for the whole world they were too concerned with the small percentage that is stupid enough (me among them) to drive a car like this year round including snow/salt. I don't fault them for that. WE are the stupid ones.
aCab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aCab For This Useful Post:
Hawaiian (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 06:08 PM   #38
UltraFRS

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My parents bought a '87 Gl wagon new. My grandparents now have it and the last time I asked about it(about a year ago) it had 350k miles on it. All they've replaced is the A/C compressor,fan motor,clutch, and then regular maintenance.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #39
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,354 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Kid at my shop has a 03 bugeye (2.0 boxer) with sti Turbo and top mount intercooler, 3" Turbo back, and an access port tuner. Street races damn near every night and goes to the track (1/4 mile) one or two times a week when its in season. 185k miles, motor has never been opened. He wrecked it a few weeks ago so we fixed it and painted the whole car. Did a timing belt while the front end was apart and its back on the road again. I'm seriously impressed
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:46 PM   #40
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelAE86 View Post
You know, this brings attention to the recent BMW + Toyota merger.

Yes, they merged for hybrid technology, but they ALSO merged to produce a sportscar. (New Supra most likely)

Source: http://blog.toyota.co.uk/tada-talks-...-drinking-beer

Now, how well might that one last?
Toyota and BMW did not merge. They are working together on hybrid tech. A merger means one of the two owns the other. They are both independent companies.

Toyota does however own 16% of Fuji Heavy Industries which is the parent company of Subaru. I'm sure Toyota said "hey Subaru here's a billion go design me a sports car. You can have 1 out of 10 to sale for yourself we get the rest." I doubt BMW will go for the same deal.
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:06 PM   #41
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I have seen +200k miles on WRX and they hold up pretty strong, and that was because they were well maintained, those have turbo by the way. I have a 1997 Impreza Brighton and it's still running with the stock motor with oil leaking but still running strong because I kept giving it oil. I have seen Subaru posted an advertisement claiming that 89% of their cars are still on the road today "because boxer".
Old 03-31-2013, 11:09 PM   #42
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Yes. Most definitely they will last if maintained properly.
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote