follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 12-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #15
dowroa
Old Guy

Drives: 16 STi, 22 MX-5 RF BBS, 04 OBS RPA
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
While I understand the premise of the change, I do have a question about the original engine:

Was the original engine problem ever found?

Other people have inferred oil starvation on the first engine, but I didn't see any information to support that claim. I may have missed it?

Secondly, I attempted to Google around for another long block and have seen prices from 2 - 5k. To me, that seems quite reasonable as just your coil-overs or just your AP Racing calipers cost that much. Is there a reason why these aren't viable solutions for cheap, especially seeing as how you believe you know what the problems are now and you have all those parts?

Aside from that, no issues with an LS3 change. If that comes with the factory wet sump solution, that would be an enjoyable engine. However, in terms of total cost and time, it is still quite a project.

Good luck on your endeavor, and thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I am curious, as my proposed build of a BRZ was going to be identical (with 200TW tires) and I was disappointed to see oiling failures at that lateral G-force level. Agree that heavier weight oil should have been considered.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASAdkJydBFU"]Motor Oil | Fine Print and Misconceptions - YouTube[/ame]
dowroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #16
Surok
Wise old man

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
interested in seeing how you go. what gearbox are you using?
Surok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:28 PM   #17
RavioliG
Poor Adult Male

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowroa View Post
While I understand the premise of the change, I do have a question about the original engine:

Was the original engine problem ever found?

Other people have inferred oil starvation on the first engine, but I didn't see any information to support that claim. I may have missed it?

Secondly, I attempted to Google around for another long block and have seen prices from 2 - 5k. To me, that seems quite reasonable as just your coil-overs or just your AP Racing calipers cost that much. Is there a reason why these aren't viable solutions for cheap, especially seeing as how you believe you know what the problems are now and you have all those parts?

Aside from that, no issues with an LS3 change. If that comes with the factory wet sump solution, that would be an enjoyable engine. However, in terms of total cost and time, it is still quite a project.

Good luck on your endeavor, and thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I am curious, as my proposed build of a BRZ was going to be identical (with 200TW tires) and I was disappointed to see oiling failures at that lateral G-force level. Agree that heavier weight oil should have been considered.

No the problem was never found. I don't believe it to be oil starvation, but it's possible. The engine ran, but was down on power a little. I was leaning toward broken valve spring or maybe even a a faulty crank position sensor. The misfires were occuring at idle, and the FI ECU was having trouble pinpointing which cylinder it was coming from... MY13 curse probably.
I think you will be fine with your build as I realize my case is an oddity.

And, I could have put another FA20 in, but while I really enjoyed the experience, I was growing tired of it after four years and just wanted something new. I enjoy wrenching on things so I don't see the swap as a tiring project but rather something exciting to build.

The motor was sourced out of a Grandsport - so it came with the factory dry sump. But, I'm ditching it for a 3 stage aviaid system since the factory system has some limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surok View Post
interested in seeing how you go. what gearbox are you using?
It's going to run a Tremec T56 Magnum XL
Old 02-11-2018, 03:56 PM   #18
RavioliG
Poor Adult Male

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
2/11
Took the oil pan off to install the dry sump oil pan.....

and found four needle bearings......

Looks like I need to rebuild my rocker trunnions and pray that I find all of the needle bearings that dropped.

edit: Rockers looked fine. Its most likely from a lifter. Looks like the heads are coming off..

Last edited by RavioliG; 03-18-2018 at 02:25 PM.
RavioliG is offline   Reply With Quote