follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #57
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm not too knowledgeable on suspension parts, picked up the Flex Z because of the adjustable ride quality and it's nice. However I notice that when I'm going 35-40mph and drive over the railroad tracks, the front will make a loud clunk, like it bottomed out. I'm at the Tein recommended height and damper settings. Would there be a way to adjust the coilovers to avoid that clunking? I wouldn't say the railroad tracks are that bumpy either. No other issues driving otherwise.
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:01 PM   #58
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
I'm not too knowledgeable on suspension parts, picked up the Flex Z because of the adjustable ride quality and it's nice. However I notice that when I'm going 35-40mph and drive over the railroad tracks, the front will make a loud clunk, like it bottomed out. I'm at the Tein recommended height and damper settings. Would there be a way to adjust the coilovers to avoid that clunking? I wouldn't say the railroad tracks are that bumpy either. No other issues driving otherwise.
make sure the top nut on the coilovers is tight, also check sway bar end links.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:47 PM   #59
HachiRo

Drives: 2013 White-Out FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiRo View Post
Sorry for my noob question, but if base drop is 1.2 inches and I only want my car lowered that much, I wouldn't need to make any adjustments right? Would I have to in the rear still as the rear is usually higher than the front? Or am I mistaken.

Anyone?
Old 10-07-2016, 11:57 PM   #60
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Anyone?
You didn't specify what adjustments you were referring to.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:01 AM   #61
HachiRo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
You didn't specify what adjustments you were referring to.
Without adjustments made. For example, setting the pre-load to factory sets and not making height adjustments, would it lower just 1.2 all around as that's the stated base drop? If that's as much as I want to lower it, I wouldn't need to change anything right?
Old 10-08-2016, 12:40 AM   #62
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Without adjustments made. For example, setting the pre-load to factory sets and not making height adjustments, would it lower just 1.2 all around as that's the stated base drop? If that's as much as I want to lower it, I wouldn't need to change anything right?

yes. make sure pre-load ring is snug not loose.
I slightly increased pre-load from default though.

between 2nd collar ring to bottom collar, it's 28mm on front and 35mm rear.
when i lowered mine, front gap seems little higher than rear. try 25mm or 26mm at front and should be looking similar to rear but i havent adjusted anything yet. lol

I have sti lips around and front lip still doesnt seem like very low enough to scrap anything but if i lower 0.5 inch more, i would scrap everything..haha
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zc06_kisstherain For This Useful Post:
HachiRo (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 01:26 AM   #63
HachiRo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
yes. make sure pre-load ring is snug not loose.
I slightly increased pre-load from default though.

between 2nd collar ring to bottom collar, it's 28mm on front and 35mm rear.
when i lowered mine, front gap seems little higher than rear. try 25mm or 26mm at front and should be looking similar to rear but i havent adjusted anything yet. lol

I have sti lips around and front lip still doesnt seem like very low enough to scrap anything but if i lower 0.5 inch more, i would scrap everything..haha

AHHH thanks for the info!
Old 10-08-2016, 11:49 AM   #64
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Even if you preset everything I still think you'd have to make minor ride height adjustments, as the car will sit with different weights on each corner, and the chassis itself isn't perfectly symmetrical, especially in the rear (which is why when lowering, you often get different camber from one side to the other which you fix with adjustable LCAs).
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
zc06_kisstherain (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 04:07 PM   #65
zc06_kisstherain

Garage
Quote:
AHHH thanks for the info!
no problem. i am getting alignment next saturday so i will post some pics after. currently sitting front at 28mm and rear at 35mm as default setting from manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
Even if you preset everything I still think you'd have to make minor ride height adjustments, as the car will sit with different weights on each corner, and the chassis itself isn't perfectly symmetrical, especially in the rear (which is why when lowering, you often get different camber from one side to the other which you fix with adjustable LCAs).
Old 10-15-2016, 10:44 AM   #66
zc06_kisstherain

Garage
i just got alignment done

Last edited by zc06_kisstherain; 10-17-2016 at 02:19 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to zc06_kisstherain For This Useful Post:
HachiRo (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #67
shattered_memory

Drives: Satin White BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I notice that I got almost a degree of positive caster when I installed the Flex Z coilovers. Steering still felt light even with 245/40/17 tires. i decreased tire pressure to 31 PSI. Steering feels much better, but MPG is slightly suffering lol
shattered_memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:17 AM   #68
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Agree with OP and @CSG_Mike in regards to the 5 from full hard (all round). The install for mine (with EDFC) was finally completed today and I went for a decent drive to feel the difference. Up till this point I drove the car with completely stock suspension, wheels, tires and alignment for 2 years.

Sadly I had to switch the EDFC from auto to manual as, though it was working, it started at an initial 12 (from full hard) and then adjusted down from there depending on G's and road speed. Could not stand it as it made the car ride like a boat.

The flipside was I able to adjust front and rear dampening without ever leaving the car, while stopped (naturally), and it was really educational playing with say 8 front 9 rear and then trying the same setting like 7 all round.

In the end I arrived at 5 all round and then it clicked (for me) as being the sweet spot. The car felt more or less similar to stock only firmer and more planted. I only dropped the car 10mm and had the front camber adjusted to -1. Seeing as I'm still on stock rubber the workshop felt it was a safe setting.

The only negative so far is the steering feels a touch heavier than prior. I'll check tire pressure on the way to work on Monday and see if its still at the usual 35psi and (if so) perhaps try 36 and see if that helps, but I imagine its a side effect of the -1 camber in the front?

Going to take me a while to digest the EDFC manual and start experimenting with settings, which is going to be awesome fun, but I digress.

Speaking to the FlexZ's I think they are great for a daily driver, but the real revelation was coming to the realization that the stock suspension is actually ridiculously good. When my FlexZ's were set too soft I genuinely sat there and thought what a freaking waste of good money, but realized I just needed dial it in more to suit my tastes.

I'll need more seat time to truly appreciate the subtle benefits of the FlexZ's. One pleasant side effect is my stock tires feel like their grip has improved, which would likely be the new suspension doing its thing and keeping the tires in better contact with the road. I see my fuel economy worsening as the improved stability and grip makes me feel more inclined about increasing throttle just about everywhere Orz.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mim For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-11-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #69
mclovin85

Drives: scion fr-s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post
Also, for those wondering how low these go...

The fronts are pretty much completely bottomed out in this photo. Only a few more turns to go before you would need to start using the spring pre-load to go any further.

So for those looking for "Super" low, probably not for you.

The rears actually have about another 1" or so of threads left.

Wheels are 18x9.5 with 225/40/18's.. No rubbing issues at all
is this setup without rolled fenders? cause i just got my flex z and will install them this saturday
mclovin85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #70
mclovin85

Drives: scion fr-s
screen grab

cant wait to install these >.<
mclovin85 is offline   Reply With Quote