follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-21-2016, 03:16 AM   #29
Styx

Drives: Red '12 GT 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Still the same issue, even stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I will say this though, it sounds awesome
Thanks very much just to give you guys an update my dad has since removed the supercharger and returned it to stock except for the exhaust. My dad thinks it may be the torque converter because it is back to stock and when the gearbox gets backup to temp and flooring it again it does the same but only lightly now....so we don't know any suggestions, can it be that the thortlebody got too warm and is getting stuck on the shifts or can it be that the thortlebody just has so many shifts before it acts up ??
Styx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:19 AM   #30
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
Thanks very much just to give you guys an update my dad has since removed the supercharger and returned it to stock except for the exhaust. My dad thinks it may be the torque converter because it is back to stock and when the gearbox gets backup to temp and flooring it again it does the same but only lightly now....so we don't know any suggestions, can it be that the thortlebody got too warm and is getting stuck on the shifts or can it be that the thortlebody just has so many shifts before it acts up ??
Only thing I can think of is replacing fluids and trying to get a transmission cooler if you plan on putting the supercharger back on. Highly doubtful of a throttle body, throttle bodies don't get stuck and skip up RPMS and dance around like that, it's something mechanical related to the transmission, may be time for an SSP clutch pack install and valve body replacement....
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #31
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Something mechanical. Im putting my money on the TQ converter.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:55 AM   #32
onzippy

Drives: 2014 FRS
Garage
Quote:
Styx.. ECU also back to factory tune?
Is really unfortunate for you/us all... Now I wonder how much longer I have left in my AT.
onzippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:23 AM   #33
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by onzippy View Post
Styx.. ECU also back to factory tune?
Is really unfortunate for you/us all... Now I wonder how much longer I have left in my AT.

It's kind of worrying unlike the manuals which have proven themselves for the most part reliable till 280 whp+ on stock clutches and such, the autos haven't had much testing in that department.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 03-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #34
Styx

Quote:
It's kind of worrying unlike the manuals which have proven themselves for the most part reliable till 280 whp+ on stock clutches and such, the autos haven't had much testing in that department.
Yea well according to some the gearbox can handle 450HP easily!! I think those guys just forgets to mention the gearbox upgrades.!

Just to remind everything is back to stock the motor,ECU everything except the exhaust with a high flow cat in and axle back exhaust in. The problem exist still but we don't know what the problem is really and is scared to buy a new well anything because we may end up paying for something that wasn't needed... Just scared for the cost, for the most part other then that we would love too get it fixed.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:19 AM   #35
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Yea well according to some the gearbox can handle 450HP easily!! I think those guys just forgets to mention the gearbox upgrades.!

Just to remind everything is back to stock the motor,ECU everything except the exhaust with a high flow cat in and axle back exhaust in. The problem exist still but we don't know what the problem is really and is scared to buy a new well anything because we may end up paying for something that wasn't needed... Just scared for the cost, for the most part other then that we would love too get it fixed.
I'd recommend taking it to a dealership, they'll be able to fix it if it is a TCM issue, they'll also be able to diagnose if its a mechanical issue at which point it can be taken to a transmission shop for much cheaper
Old 03-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #36
Styx

Quote:
I'd recommend taking it to a dealership, they'll be able to fix it if it is a TCM issue, they'll also be able to diagnose if its a mechanical issue at which point it can be taken to a transmission shop for much cheaper
We have replaced the transmission fluids 2 times have taken it to toyota 2 times and none of them can tell us what is wrong.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:05 PM   #37
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I too am running into issues

So I just wanted to chime in and say that I'm also running into the same issue.

I'm boosting 8psi on a AVO kit and I will be taking that up to 12 psi with E85 soon.

I'm getting a tyranny rebuilt by SSP with a set of their Stage1 clutches, their stage 2 valve body and their higher stall torque converter. I'll report back what I find after I have broken in the transmission and put a 1000 or so miles on it.

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to @Art_Mighty For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (03-31-2016), North_GA_FRS (06-04-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 02:39 AM   #38
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
I have a theory, and I'm putting it out there for the back-seat drivers to shoot holes in and insult me, but also for the few serious tuners to try out and see if this fixes the problem.

Since these cars are Drive-By-Wire, it would make sense for the pedal input to be sent to the transmission controller. What if the DBW table is too aggressive? What if the table just needs to backed down some so the car is making the same power at the same pedal travel, and really cranks up at the end of the travel? The MT DBW table is less aggressive than the AT DBW table. Maybe try that out and see if there is any difference in the full-load shifting problem. I personally would like it if someone found some kind of back-door into the TCU with Toyota's Techstream software.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:20 AM   #39
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
I have a theory, and I'm putting it out there for the back-seat drivers to shoot holes in and insult me, but also for the few serious tuners to try out and see if this fixes the problem.

Since these cars are Drive-By-Wire, it would make sense for the pedal input to be sent to the transmission controller. What if the DBW table is too aggressive? What if the table just needs to backed down some so the car is making the same power at the same pedal travel, and really cranks up at the end of the travel? The MT DBW table is less aggressive than the AT DBW table. Maybe try that out and see if there is any difference in the full-load shifting problem. I personally would like it if someone found some kind of back-door into the TCU with Toyota's Techstream software.
I've looked into the later, the only thing you can do in techstream is reset the TCM. I also think there was an option to update the TCM logic if neccessary.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:20 AM   #40
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
So I just wanted to chime in and say that I'm also running into the same issue.

I'm boosting 8psi on a AVO kit and I will be taking that up to 12 psi with E85 soon.

I'm getting a tyranny rebuilt by SSP with a set of their Stage1 clutches, their stage 2 valve body and their higher stall torque converter. I'll report back what I find after I have broken in the transmission and put a 1000 or so miles on it.

How long have you had the turbo? And how well did the transmission behave before the rebuild?
Old 03-31-2016, 03:06 PM   #41
nos145
Cognite

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Quote:
We have replaced the transmission fluids 2 times have taken it to toyota 2 times and none of them can tell us what is wrong.
soooooo. do they know u had a SC? cuz if they can't fio they need to replace the tranny. or at least the torque converter.
i've seen some boosted animals running beefed up converters without this issue... so as a last resort, you could get one and then send in your core
nos145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:40 PM   #42
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Quote:
How long have you had the turbo? And how well did the transmission behave before the rebuild?
I've had the turbo for about 16 months. The really alarming symptoms have happened in the last few months. Especially when it's really cold outside.

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to @Art_Mighty For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (03-31-2016)