follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #953
SirDieselPower

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
hey, i havent read the whole 44 pages but i have the same problem. i had nearly an inch of water in my subaru brz tail lights, they ordered 2 new lights and said they replaced them (which im starting to doubt). this was done last summer (2014) and now at the end of winter (we have snow here) i have some frozen water in them AGAIN.
im concerened about eventual electric problems
and honestly it looks like shit in the summer when its all fogged up in the lights

ill have to go shake the service manager
SirDieselPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #954
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Sigh....

I guess my luck finally ran out, as has the warranty...

Details in my Owner's Journal here.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Guff (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 04:57 PM   #955
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I guess my luck finally ran out, as has the warranty...

Details in my Owner's Journal here.
Bummer. At least its an easy fix! The tail light assembly is fine, but the bulb connections in the cabin are not watertight. So if the barrage of dirty water erodes the gasket seal just enough, water seeps/wicks past the gasket that seals the light to the body, and then it can wick in past the bulbs. I wouldn't go with aftermarket tail lights strictly to avoid condensation, as they may be susceptible to the same problem.

You can remove the tail light assembly (4 10mm nuts) and a tab on the outermost edge. Then use a low/warm temp hair dryer and funnel, or methyl hydrate? Can't remember, but it will mix with the water and aid quick evaporation. Either way, you can easily dry the moisture without having to disassemble anything (aside from removing the bulbs). Then reapply a new and better gasket. I'd also recommend using a small bead of silicon sealant on each side of the gasket where pressure is applied to ensure there's a true watertight seal.

Be careful during reinstallation, don't overtorque the nuts as it can deform the sheet metal.

You can even reuse your OEM gasket this way if its still physically in good shape and you can remove it without damage.

I had this problem as well on my passenger side and removed the light, dried it, cleaned the OEM gasket, and used silicone on both sides. Even after a VERY wet summer and winter, its still dry.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-27-2015), slizoth (02-14-2018)
Old 04-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #956
redfred

Drives: Red BRZ
Late last year my 2013 BRZ taillights were replaced under warranty. They leaked again, and were replaced yesterday; again under warranty.

The service tech explained that the boss where one of the mounting studs is located cracks. He showed me the pictures he sent to Subaru NA. The cracking is due to expansion/contraction of the unit during freezing months, I'm told. Here in Pittsburgh this year, we've seen our share of freezing temps.

The new replacement units have a redesigned foam gasket that allow the taillight housings to expand/contract without causing stress to the boss. Makes sense, just hope it works.

Washed and waxed the car yesterday too, no signs of condensation this morning.
redfred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redfred For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-03-2015), wheelhaus (04-03-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 04:44 PM   #957
djangadjo

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrtndrws View Post
I got home with my FR-S yesterday and noticed condensation on the inside of the tail light:

OH NOES!

Anyone else experienced this? It still hasn't gone away this morning. I think the tail light assembly has a bad seal or something...
I noticed it on my FR-S last winter, and just last week took it in to the local dealer. I've owned the car for two years, love it, but don't drive it a lot, so I have very low mileage. They replaced both rear tail light assemblies at no charge. The service rep and the salesman I got the car from both said they had not had any similar problems reported, except -- a few cases of cracked light housings where owner had slammed the trunk lid down too hard (??!!??).

For me this is just the right small car, but I'll admit it's not of the most rugged construction.
djangadjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:15 PM   #958
Beachnuttz

Drives: '13 Firestorm
Will Toyota refuse to replace the lights? Our '13 JUST started doing this?

Thanks, Jim
Beachnuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:09 PM   #959
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachnuttz View Post

if it is out of the 32K bumper to bumper warranty, yes, at least they did for me. If you have an extended one, not sure.

(EDIT: and for clarity when I say "yes" I mean "Yes, the will refuse" not "Yes they will fix it")

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 05-08-2015 at 06:43 AM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Beachnuttz (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #960
ulteeb

Drives: Toyota 86
Garage
Just drilled a small hole in mine to drain the water. Removed the light and ran a silicon bead around the molding. This did not fix the issue and I have no idea where the water is getting in. The unit is not sealed as the orange bulb has no seal around it.
ulteeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:30 PM   #961
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachnuttz View Post

Thanks, Jim
Yes, for 36 months or 36K miles.
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billwot For This Useful Post:
Beachnuttz (05-07-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 05:20 PM   #962
cycleboy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Argento
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfred View Post
Late last year my 2013 BRZ taillights were replaced under warranty. They leaked again, and were replaced yesterday; again under warranty.

The service tech explained that the boss where one of the mounting studs is located cracks. He showed me the pictures he sent to Subaru NA. The cracking is due to expansion/contraction of the unit during freezing months, I'm told. Here in Pittsburgh this year, we've seen our share of freezing temps.

The new replacement units have a redesigned foam gasket that allow the taillight housings to expand/contract without causing stress to the boss. Makes sense, just hope it works.
This is definitely not the issue mine had, and replacing the lights themselves would've done nothing to fix the root cause as it is a design flaw.

The root cause is that the gasket is thin, not adhered well, and the top of each light is the drain path for the entire back window of the car. That's a LOT of water able to flow right onto the poorly sealed top of the lights. You can tell how much junk drains there when you pull off the lights and see all the dirt, leaves, and gunk piled up on top of the gaskets.

The GasketNinja replacements, with good sealant all around, and some removable putty along the top edge of the lights where the water drains solved it permanently.
cycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cycleboy For This Useful Post:
wdninja (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 04:23 PM   #963
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
ive had a condensation issue with my right side tail light that has come and gone for over a year. Sometimes lasts a day other times months. They have been both replaced seal kits upgraded. Issue still remains and the local dealer and SOA claims it is designed that way and there is nothing they can/will do. I personally feal this in a joke and not the truth as I personally know 3 people with brz and 5 people with frs none that have had a issue at all with condensation ever....Let me hear your feedback.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:24 PM   #964
wheelhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
ive had a condensation issue with my right side tail light that has come and gone for over a year. Sometimes lasts a day other times months. They have been both replaced seal kits upgraded. Issue still remains and the local dealer and SOA claims it is designed that way and there is nothing they can/will do. I personally feal this in a joke and not the truth as I personally know 3 people with brz and 5 people with frs none that have had a issue at all with condensation ever....Let me hear your feedback.
have you read through the thread? I imagine not, it's kinda a threadzilla...

The problem starts with the way the water channels from the trunk to the top of the brake light. it creates a river that collects dirt and debris that slowly works past the seal.

The brake light itself is not 100% sealed, the bulb mounts are not airtight and are open to the cabin. (The lens is of course sealed to the housing, but that's it). So when the water eventually works its way past the seal, it wicks along the back of the brake light housing and through the bulb sockets. This is exacerbated by hot cold day/night cycles, rainy seasons, etc. that cause moisture to be pulled in, which then can't evacuate.

The solution is to either replace the gasket with something aftermarket that's thicker and more durable, or seal both sides of the gasket with silicon sealant, or both. Others have used a sealant putty to create a dam at the top of the brake light housing... Personally I reused the OEM but cleaned it and added silicone, and haven't had a problem for two years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-29-2015), Tcoat (05-14-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 05:42 PM   #965
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Yea I briefly read it. Just frustrating that Subaru does so little to fix the issue. Soa gave me a $500 parts and service voucher today and basicly told me to piss off.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:17 PM   #966
wheelhaus

well damn you could fix the problem for $5 and about an hour of time. Go spend $495 on hookers and blow!
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
teamturbo (05-14-2015)