follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2017, 10:58 PM   #1
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Joying CA-JY-UL124N2 HU

Hi all, going to do a short little write up here about this head unit.

So, basically dove into this head unit with very little research, except for what limited information was on the forums here for another unit from Joying. With that said, I overlooked a few things, and then during and after the install, had to troubleshoot a few things.

**Warning**: this is going to be light on pictures until tomorrow afternoon, as I didn't think to take any when unboxing/wiring/installing. I have an adapter coming tomorrow to interface with the OEM USB port so I'll get some pictures of everything then.

I had a few criteria that I wanted to be met when I was searching for a HU:
-Under $400CAD
-Navigation
-Built in mic (not essential, but it saved me splicing into the factory wiring as I did not want a mic to be visible somewhere in the interior)
-A big screen (because size matters)

None of these were really going to be deal breakers, except price, unless there was something out there that I HAD to have. The only HU that I was really, really, really interested in was the Ca-Fi Dashlinq 4 CT (or whatever the hell the new one is called) but it'd been out of stock forever, so I gave up on waiting and started browsing around.

Being that I have limited stereo related knowledge, it basically came down to me seeing what the bottom of the barrel HUs offered and what the top of the line ones had and then coming to a compromise between the two. Which led to me stumbling upon this one. The price was right ($385 or so CAD), big screen, android, nav, built in mic. It did everything I was looking for.

Once it arrived, I unboxed everything and took stock of what came with it (GPS antenna, external microphone, screws to use with the mounting hardware, one universal wiring harness and one ISO wiring harness). After I saw what it came with, I decided to get an ISO harness, so I sat on the HU for a few days and wait for the harness to get in. That didn't last long as I got the itch to install it.

Wiring was a breeze, except that after attempt one, my door speakers didn't work. Turns out the "antenna connection" on both harnesses need to be connected to each other for the door speakers to work. Weird, but whatever. Then, I only got one FM radio station. For whatever reason, I didn't clue in on the fact that the antenna harness needs power too. No big deal, spliced that in with the "antenna connection" wires and got reception again.

This handy little guy retained function of the OEM USB connection. Not sure if aux works, or if the headunit even supports aux. Will try it out when I can track down where my aux cable went

After I got the unit in, I went to put the radio bezel on, but it looks as though the HU is either slightly too tall, or sits a bit too far forward. That's not the end of the world, I'll be getting my file out tomorrow to work on the bezel and get it fitting nicely. I'll also need to figure out what to do about the sides of the HU, as it's not quite as wide as the OEM one. (will update when I figure that one out)

Now onto the first boot of the HU. When I first powered it on, the HU had a live wall paper, an ugly UI and a horribly loud beep every time you pressed a button. It was slow and annoying. The wall paper I fixed relatively easily, but changing the launcher I struggled with. It's been a while since I've had an android phone, so I'm a bit out of touch with where that setting was, but after downloading another launcher and forcing the prompt to change to it, everything worked out. Then I had to update a few apps, and played with some settings to get everything just right, including turning off the beep whenever and input is made.

Boots up very quickly, It's nice to not have to wait a while for it to get going
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJthu-iC4ds"]Joying CA-JY-UL124N2 - YouTube[/ame]

Performance of the HU, well, I haven't really taxed it a whole lot. I've used navigation and the audio player so far, will be trying out Torque tomorrow at some point and really, as long as the HU can support that without slowing down like crazy or crashing, I'll be happy. I've thought about getting some emulators and a PS3 controller for it, but I'm not sure how much I'd actually use something like that.

Apologies on the washed out screen here, but you get the idea. Scrolling is smooth, not much if any lag. The only app I've really had trouble with is the included GPS app, takes a while to intialize. Any suggestions on other apps?
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-3CITsznoI"]Joying CA-JY-UL124N2 - YouTube[/ame]

Sound quality is on par, if not a better than OEM. The music sounds more crisp than OEM, but I don't know if that's a placebo effect or not. I'll find out what the girlfriend thinks this weekend and then at least there'll be a second opinion. I'm by no means an audiophile, but the slight improvement is well worth it to me.

Overall, from what I've experienced so far with the HU, I'd most likely recommend it to someone, but I've only had it installed for a few days now, so take that with a grain of salt. But I'm pretty happy with it and I'm excited to see what the world of Android can bring to my driving experience.

As mentioned at the start of this write up, pictures, and probably some videos will be posted tomorrow.

Last edited by Cole; 01-19-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Andrew025 (01-21-2017), cjd (01-19-2017), D_Thissen (01-18-2017), g0lds (04-03-2017), My Key (01-20-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
ImDatSlaya

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Did you have to wire up a back up camera?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
ImDatSlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:40 AM   #3
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDatSlaya View Post
Did you have to wire up a back up camera?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
No, I don't need a back up camera because I know how to drive.

But seriously, a back up camera would be plug and play, I believe. Fairly certain there's an input on the back of the head unit marked "V IN"

Last edited by Cole; 01-27-2017 at 09:24 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (01-27-2017), Boomerang (01-27-2017), Ultramaroon (01-29-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 09:31 AM   #4
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
No, I don't need a back up camera because I know how to drive.

But seriously, a back up camera would be plug and play, I believe. Fairly certain there's an input on the back of the head unit marked "V IN"
Lol, my solution was to lower my car so I could see more (small things) out of my back window
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
ImDatSlaya

What wiring diagram did you use for the 28 pin harness?

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170129/9de582ded19da8a0a4a***366a466f11.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-29-2017, 10:37 PM   #6
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDatSlaya View Post
What wiring diagram did you use for the 28 pin harness?

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170129/9de582ded19da8a0a4a***366a466f11.jpg[/IMG]
No diagram. I simply used a Toyota harness adapter and wired it to the Joying harness by matching up the colours.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:47 AM   #7
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I have the other Joying HU (using the RK chip and 5.1.1).
Overall it is OK... installation was fairly easy but there are some quirks that annoy me.

I recommend this launcher btw, looks a lot better than stock: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...car.free&hl=en

1. How is the wifi on your intel unit? When I connect to my phone via phone hotspot and play music thru bluetooth there is an obvious static sound that intermittently comes and goes. pretty annoying.

2. How is performance? Does it stutter in google maps? For mine, it is ridiculously laggy unless I disable google apps in the background. Works fine after that.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:52 AM   #8
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
For people looking to retain the stock usb and aux port this is what I got for mine. Easy to swap with the stock one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
NyC Zn6 (04-03-2017), rixter145 (03-22-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #9
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
I have the other Joying HU (using the RK chip and 5.1.1).
Overall it is OK... installation was fairly easy but there are some quirks that annoy me.

I recommend this launcher btw, looks a lot better than stock: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...car.free&hl=en

1. How is the wifi on your intel unit? When I connect to my phone via phone hotspot and play music thru bluetooth there is an obvious static sound that intermittently comes and goes. pretty annoying.

2. How is performance? Does it stutter in google maps? For mine, it is ridiculously laggy unless I disable google apps in the background. Works fine after that.
Wifi and Bluetooth are both fine. I don't tether the unit to my phone, as I have no reason to when I'm driving.

Performance is excellent, I don't use google maps, I use the nav app that was installed on the unit already. Haven't had any issues with lag really, in any app that I've used so far.

I'll try out google maps the next time I'm driving and let you know if there's any lag with the unit.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:48 PM   #10
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Pretty sure the bump in memory and the improved cpu leave this unit without the performance issues previous units suffered.

I've been curious about these but either need a 1din unit or a new home for my dashcams.curious how you get on with it, especially customization.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #11
ka-titties

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
In for updates on this. I've been eyeing one of these for a while now.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:42 PM   #12
no_garage_queen

Drives: white 2014 GT86
Quote:
"After I got the unit in, I went to put the radio bezel on, but it looks as though the HU is either slightly too tall, or sits a bit too far forward. That's not the end of the world, I'll be getting my file out tomorrow to work on the bezel and get it fitting nicely. I'll also need to figure out what to do about the sides of the HU, as it's not quite as wide as the OEM one. (will update when I figure that one out)"
Hi, Thanks for the post and the pics. Did you manage to put the bezel? Can you share pictures of the final result and of the kind of surgery you had to practice on the bezel? I am interested in buying the same HU model.

Thanks!
no_garage_queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #13
ka-titties

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This dude does a brief explanation of what he did to get it to fit without modifying the bezel. He includes part numbers in the description.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GFfSAygu38"]JOYING 2GB 2-Din Android 5.1.1 Review Nov. 2016 - YouTube[/ame]
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:50 AM   #14
ImDatSlaya

The correct harness for this head unit.