follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 03-09-2014, 01:41 AM   #3865
robwbright

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited WRB Phantom ESC 1.5
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I read the first 30 pages of posts again tonight. A lot of the pics seem to no longer be there.

Would someone be kind enough to post the pics or send me the link to pics of what the batteries look like and where they're being installed?

Would also like to know the exact batteries that are recommended for this kit...

Thanks a lot!
robwbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:47 AM   #3866
jpit

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You will need a different harness from Rob for the dual battery pack. You will also need a different wood support and battery tray. Here's a photo of my installation. All the ground connections are made to the new terminal that you can see. No need to run a ground wire to the starter battery - just find a different ground in the back. I used a 4 gauge wire for the power lead to the back and seems to be working fine. Rob does recommend a 2 gauge.
Attached Images

jpit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jpit For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (03-09-2014), DAEMANO (03-09-2014), Gums (03-09-2014), nlowell (03-10-2014), robwbright (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 03:10 AM   #3867
robwbright

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpit View Post
You will need a different harness from Rob for the dual battery pack. You will also need a different wood support and battery tray. Here's a photo of my installation. All the ground connections are made to the new terminal that you can see. No need to run a ground wire to the starter battery - just find a different ground in the back. I used a 4 gauge wire for the power lead to the back and seems to be working fine. Rob does recommend a 2 gauge.
Thanks! I did just find the batteries he recommends on the phantom website. So it's the kit + $90 for the ESC batteries plus $50 or so for the compact starter battery...

"Wood support"? Not sure what that is.

Where are people getting the different battery tray? Or perhaps I could just manufacture one.

Also, when you say "in the back" in reference to a different ground, do you mean in the back of the engine compartment?
Old 03-09-2014, 03:42 AM   #3868
projectXTR

Drives: Sterling Silver BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sorry if this has been asked before but searching this topic didn't give me the answer I was looking for...

To get an idea how much of a bump in performance this gives, I'd like to know how much the acceleration times improve with the esc ?

Thanks in advance !
projectXTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:03 AM   #3869
nlowell

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwbright View Post
Thanks! I did just find the batteries he recommends on the phantom website. So it's the kit + $90 for the ESC batteries plus $50 or so for the compact starter battery...

Where are people getting the different battery tray? Or perhaps I could just manufacture one.

Also, when you say "in the back" in reference to a different ground, do you mean in the back of the engine compartment?

For the base install you just need the ESC kit and the three batteries listed. It re-uses the stock battery tray and location.

If you want to upgrade to the dual-battery pack you will need two of the $90 battery kits (2 dump batteries in each kit), a modified ESC harness, a modified battery tray, and you'll need to relocate the starter batter to the trunk with a recommended 2 gauge power line. I understand you don't need to run a ground line because the battery and accessories can be grounded in the trunk and engine compartment respectively.

That's what I've gathered anyways...
Old 03-09-2014, 05:08 AM   #3870
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:

If you look at Jpit's pic above you will see the wood support (I believe it is the black block on top of all the batteries used to help hold everything down in conjunction with the factory battery tie-down..

Not sure about the battery tray, maybe just a universal at the parts store.

"in the back", means that when you relocate the starter battery to the trunk for example, you will just run the ground wire to the body. If you look at the pic above, you will see the black factory ground wire hooked up to a post installed in a spare hole in the fender (Jpit did you have to drill the hole larger to get it to fit?) and the following image also courtesy of jpit, shows the negative battery terminal being grounded to what looks like the spare tire tie-down.

Target70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Target70 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (03-09-2014), nlowell (03-10-2014), robwbright (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 05:28 AM   #3871
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectXTR View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before but searching this topic didn't give me the answer I was looking for...

To get an idea how much of a bump in performance this gives, I'd like to know how much the acceleration times improve with the esc ?

Thanks in advance !
Other than dyno numbers I don't think anyone has anything else in terms of performance data, like track times or 0-60 but there is this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloS14 View Post
Horrible comparison video *now with slo-mo instant replay*

Target70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #3872
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
I read the first 30 pages of posts again tonight. A lot of the pics seem to no longer be there.

Would someone be kind enough to post the pics or send me the link to pics of what the batteries look like and where they're being installed?

Would also like to know the exact batteries that are recommended for this kit...

Thanks a lot!
Batteries that are recommended are on Phantoms website, there are two links. They are installed in the same location as the stock battery.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
robwbright (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 12:07 PM   #3873
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
@shiv@vishnu I know you are busy bro, but any updates on tunes for the phantom and/ or your trip down here to San Diego?
@shiv@vishnu, any updates on this? Sorry just really want to order my OFT/OFH combo....but want to see results first.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #3874
robwbright

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectXTR View Post

Thanks in advance !
I read the first 30 pages of this thread last night and watched some of the videos.

Months ago Fenton got 6.5 secs 0-60 at altitude - 3500 feet, I think he said (and he says he's not very good at shifting... LOL). I believe that's significantly faster than the time he had gotten before. Someone asked for a side by side 0-60 test against a stocker, but it was noted that 0-60 is a very inaccurate measure car to car and driver to driver because of different skills in shifting.

He also ran a 60-120 and I think it knocked the time down by like 5 or 6 seconds.

I seem to recall that in one of the videos someone at lower altitude was in the mid to high 5s 0-60. If you look back through pages 20-30, I think it would be around there.

Last edited by robwbright; 03-09-2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: additional info
The Following User Says Thank You to robwbright For This Useful Post:
projectXTR (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #3875
robwbright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
If you look at Jpit's pic above you will see the wood support (I believe it is the black block on top of all the batteries used to help hold everything down in conjunction with the factory battery tie-down..

Not sure about the battery tray, maybe just a universal at the parts store.

"in the back", means that when you relocate the starter battery to the trunk for example, you will just run the ground wire to the body. If you look at the pic above, you will see the black factory ground wire hooked up to a post installed in a spare hole in the fender (Jpit did you have to drill the hole larger to get it to fit?) and the following image also courtesy of jpit, shows the negative battery terminal being grounded to what looks like the spare tire tie-down.

Thanks - got it. I was under the impression that - if you used only two batteries and a compact starter battery - that you could fit it all under the hood.

I realize that if you add 2 more on top of that you're going to have to move something to the trunk. Which is not ideal since my sub box is already taking up 1/4 to 1/3 of the trunk. LOL.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #3876
robwbright

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Video update 2!

Tried a 60 to 120mph: started at 5 seconds ended at 23seconds for a total of 18 seconds

Also tried my hand at the torque app 0-60.... ive said this before im not that great of a shifter but even with my modest effort i got 6.5 sec at +3500ft altitude

The car is sooo much easier to launch now.... i tried what i see people doing online... that was a mistake, launch at 4500 rpm with this system and you will spin ALL THE WAY to redline lol.

See above re: 0-60 and 60-120.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #3877
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I read the first 30 pages of this thread last night and watched some of the videos.

Months ago Fenton got 6.5 secs 0-60 at altitude - 3500 feet, I think he said (and he says he's not very good at shifting... LOL). I believe that's significantly faster than the time he had gotten before. Someone asked for a side by side 0-60 test against a stocker, but it was noted that 0-60 is a very inaccurate measure car to car and driver to driver because of different skills in shifting.

He also ran a 60-120 and I think it knocked the time down by like 5 or 6 seconds.

I seem to recall that in one of the videos someone at lower altitude was in the mid to high 5s 0-60. If you look back through pages 20-30, I think it would be around there.

I was the one that was running the mid 5s but I was also on e85.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
robwbright (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #3878
robwbright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
I was the one that was running the mid 5s but I was also on e85.
So I'm guessing ESC, Header, Tune and 93 oct = high 5s?

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive