follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 06-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
drei

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
pulled over for "dark license plate cover"

so this cop followed me down bayview from 407 to john st in thornhill and pulled me over on a side street.. "hi sir I'm pulling you over today because your license plate covers are too dark"
they are the ones you buy from Canadian Tire that are tinted.. he told me I should take them off before the end of the week. Should I bother? I see every other car has tinted license plate covers and I've never heard of anyone being pulled over for this.
drei is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drei For This Useful Post:
Minovsky (06-10-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
CodyFRS

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I wouldn't sweat it, do some research on the internet and see what the real laws are around "Modified, Tinted" plates. I see them all the time in PA, USA.
CodyFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
FRSFirestorm
Red is Fastest

Drives: 13 FRS 6MT Firestorm
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Sounds like you were pulled over for check out. The license plate provided a probable cause to do so. If you don't mind having a reason for the law to pull you over keep it.
FRSFirestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
BioRage

Drives: ~_~
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Any plate cover is "not permitted"

Cops will pull you over, this includes the clear one they sell at crappy tire/walmart.

"A requirement of the HTA is that plates be kept plainly visible at all times."

The fine is usually about $100-$110.

Quote:
As for licence plate frames, the HTA says the entire plate must be plainly visible at all times. Technically, this could include any type of plate frame, but police may exercise discretion not to charge when no essential element of the plate is covered.

All ServiceOntario centres that sell plate covers are required to prominently display a poster stating that the Ministry of Transportation does not endorse or promote the sale, purchase or use of clear or tinted licence plate covers. The poster also references section 13 HTA and provides a contact number for further information (416-235-2999 in the GTA).
I've had clear covers on my car for almost a year, and no issues.. knock on wood.

The cop was just giving you a hard time, I don't know why they even bother.. really have nothing else to do but hassle people with dark covers.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
drei

He actually said I can have clear ones...

Thanks for the replies
Old 06-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I have tinted ones on both my cars and never had a problem. Unless the cop was local to where you frequent or he actually documented the warning (if you think he did), I wouldnt sweat it!
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
3_NA_HAF
Diesel Tech

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Ive heard the same as biorage said, nothing can cover your plate, even clear. I was with a friend of mine when we got pulled over for speeding. Couldn't give him a ticket, didn't have radar on him. Gave him a ticket for plate covers (clear ones). We found out if you turn in the covers with the ticket, within a few days, you don't have to pay the ticket. So I wouldn't sweat it.
3_NA_HAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
Pbrown

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Raven
Thanked 1,322 Times in 658 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have dark on front and clear on back. Fucks them up. I just say I am protecting my plates as they are getting old. I also have pictures of those completely rusted over plates to prove my point. The only people I have encountered getting a ticket for that is by the OPP
Pbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
grant

Drives: too many to list
I've been there, 4 times now. lol

word of advise, when they tell you it makes it hard to read the license plate don't ask if they need their eyes tested ;-)
grant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grant For This Useful Post:
Evil Jesus (11-19-2013), FRS_Ken (06-11-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drei View Post
so this cop followed me down bayview from 407 to john st in thornhill and pulled me over on a side street.. "hi sir I'm pulling you over today because your license plate covers are too dark"
they are the ones you buy from Canadian Tire that are tinted.. he told me I should take them off before the end of the week. Should I bother? I see every other car has tinted license plate covers and I've never heard of anyone being pulled over for this.
How dark is dark? I am curious, do you have a pic? I have never even thought about it because it seems more like a hint of tint on mine.
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #11
BioRage

Drives: ~_~
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandred7 View Post
How dark is dark? I am curious, do you have a pic? I have never even thought about it because it seems more like a hint of tint on mine.
Dark is interpret by the officer, if he feels it's to "dark" he can issue you a ticket, same applies to tints.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
drei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandred7 View Post

the cop was also wearing sunglasses and told me at night he wouldn't be able to see the plates, I didn't say anything about wearing sunglasses at night, but did say there is a light over the plates and then just said "whatever, bye" took my papers and drove off

pure scumbag, seemed like first year on the job
Old 06-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioRage View Post
Dark is interpret by the officer, if he feels it's to "dark" he can issue you a ticket, same applies to tints.
Quote:

the cop was also wearing sunglasses and told me at night he wouldn't be able to see the plates, I didn't say anything about wearing sunglasses at night, but did say there is a light over the plates and then just said "whatever, bye" took my papers and drove off

pure scumbag, seemed like first year on the job
Wow, you would think that he would have more of an issue with your window tint vs your license plate tint.
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
read the HTA

you are not allowed to cover your plate with anything that might might conceal its information

this includes not cleaning it if it's extreamly dirty

when you buy it at Canadian tire it actually says on it "please consult your local laws," and guess what, our laws don't allow it.

any plate cover other than the clear one CAN BE a reason for a cop to pull you over and give you shit.