follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
Oxyg3n

Old 10-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #85
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
I understand that, it's just funny that the few people here speaking up mostly own a BRZ, which are presumably all manual, and are mostly producing the same code. A batch of lemons is more what I was getting at, someone earlier mentioned something about how the build dates would be interesting to trace
The BRZs are made side by side and at the exact same time as the FRS/86. They are the same and any statistical difference here is more just coincidence than anything else. The early 13s of both cars are well known to throw the same codes.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:43 PM   #86
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The BRZs are made side by side and at the exact same time as the FRS/86. They are the same and any statistical difference here is more just coincidence than anything else. The early 13s of both cars are well known to throw the same codes.
I know this of the cars being assembled at the same time, heck my 86 is full of Subaru logos. I was really only making my comment as a 'what if' scenario, because if that were the case, a lot of new owners would be boned.. although, they are all 2017's (I think)
Old 10-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #87
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I was really only making my comment as a 'what if' scenario,
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:44 AM   #88
Scourge
Agent 86

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I understand that, it's just funny that the few people here speaking up mostly own a BRZ, which are presumably all manual, and are mostly producing the same code. A batch of lemons is more what I was getting at, someone earlier mentioned something about how the build dates would be interesting to trace
2017 Toyota 86 MT owner here. Same codes.
Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:49 AM   #89
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
2017 Toyota 86 MT owner here. Same codes.
Hope it doesn't randomly happen to my car then -_-
Old 11-02-2017, 07:52 PM   #90
funpolice

Drives: 2017 brz sportech
codes went away

since my last post regarding dealership ordered the ecm.
they called me few weeks back that the part is ready. but i am hesitant to have it replaced. as the engine light went away and hasn't come back yet(knocking on wood). i prefer not to have anything replace as it's a brand new car. replacement may cause more issue if it's not done probably( i know the ecm is almost a plug and play component, but dealership workmanship is not great these days). so i am hoping the issue was just the ecm did not collect enough stat from my driving and calibrated wrong. as the car is now getting more millage (2600km) the stat from the ecm may have corrected the programming issue to calibrate the fule/air mixture ratio. i do believe it's a software problem at this point.

and i do believe it's a manual transmission specific problme as the manual has different spec(alot) under the hood. i suspect the ecm software may be the same as the automatic's but the hardwares are so different and causing the ecm calculating with the wrong logic. (i am a programmer)

i don't think replacing any hardware will fix the issue. until subaru reprograms the ecm(flash) to correct the issue. i called subaru canada and they claimed no report on this issue(are you fucking kidding me? with hundreds reported here). the car drives fine. the idling (during start up still shakes the car until it's warmed up). i personally rather not repairing the engine light issue as this point until there's a confirmed fix from subaru. dealership level doesn't have engineers, mechanics are not engineers, they can't fix the issue. they will try this and try that and guarantee.
funpolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:24 PM   #91
sirsol66

Drives: 2013 FRS- Hot Lava
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funpolice View Post
since my last post regarding dealership ordered the ecm.
they called me few weeks back that the part is ready. but i am hesitant to have it replaced. as the engine light went away and hasn't come back yet(knocking on wood). i prefer not to have anything replace as it's a brand new car. replacement may cause more issue if it's not done probably( i know the ecm is almost a plug and play component, but dealership workmanship is not great these days). so i am hoping the issue was just the ecm did not collect enough stat from my driving and calibrated wrong. as the car is now getting more millage (2600km) the stat from the ecm may have corrected the programming issue to calibrate the fule/air mixture ratio. i do believe it's a software problem at this point.

and i do believe it's a manual transmission specific problme as the manual has different spec(alot) under the hood. i suspect the ecm software may be the same as the automatic's but the hardwares are so different and causing the ecm calculating with the wrong logic. (i am a programmer)

i don't think replacing any hardware will fix the issue. until subaru reprograms the ecm(flash) to correct the issue. i called subaru canada and they claimed no report on this issue(are you fucking kidding me? with hundreds reported here). the car drives fine. the idling (during start up still shakes the car until it's warmed up). i personally rather not repairing the engine light issue as this point until there's a confirmed fix from subaru. dealership level doesn't have engineers, mechanics are not engineers, they can't fix the issue. they will try this and try that and guarantee.
Any updates on this? I've been tracking the different fixes and it seems like every car has been something different, ranging from bad seal on o2 sensor to valve seal issues.
sirsol66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:42 PM   #92
Scourge
Agent 86

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsol66 View Post
Any updates on this? I've been tracking the different fixes and it seems like every car has been something different, ranging from bad seal on o2 sensor to valve seal issues.
I've had the O2 sensor replaced but it didn't solve the issue. Valve seals are next to try but I hear they're on the direct injectors and hard to access.
Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:11 PM   #93
nitro_alltrac

Drives: '17 86
CEL came on yesterday. Checked the codes today and the same as everyone else, 119F and 219A. '17 86 built in July. 62XX miles.

I cleared the codes and I'm going to see what happens. If it doesn't show up again soon, I'll get it checked when I go in for the 7500 mile service.
nitro_alltrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #94
Ragin Gti

Drives: '15 Subaru BRZ
Valve adjustment. New Impreza and Crosstrek direct injection cars are having this problem also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ragin Gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:53 PM   #95
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Hello!

2017 86 at 12xxx km on the odo.

The P119f and P219a came on a few weeks ago. I checked the codes and glanced over the diagnostic procedure before bringing it to a local toyota dealer.

I should mention I'm a mechanic.

They called me back saying it was because of the modified intake, they said it was modified because it was red aluminium and not black plastic. I am not kidding. The service manager was on the phone with me not knowing what a 2017 looks like under the hood. Following that blunder of a phone call and after making it known that I was a mechanic and that he had just put his foot in his mouth, I was hoping they'd check it for real. Which they didn't.

I should mention I have a dash cam.

I picked up my car a day and a half after leaving it with them, or rather, I took it from them, because they weren't doing anything with it. I cared more about the fact that it'd show in records than them fiddling with the car for ages only to start throwing parts at it at their leisure while I'm the one being inconvenienced.

Just today, it lit up again, but here is the funky part: At the same exact spot on my drive home from work. A digest version of the freeze frame data is as follows: mid 700 rpm and low load, ECT in the 60's C, running slightly below 1.0 lambda with the FT's at about -8% combined. I drove it back to work to do a quick test with the injection quantity and misfire counters and it was fine, but by then ECT was above 90 C and no misfires tripped, either all the way down to -12% or all the way up to +24% and in between. I cleared the codes myself and will keep an eye on it, but I will go back to the dealer and tell them it came back, because despite it all I told the service manager I'd keep him informed, and if it came back, it doesn't matter if I clear it, it'll come back if the root cause isn't fixed. Besides right now isn't a comfortable time for me to lose my car for x number of days while they spent all their time not knowing what to do with it, it's the busy season at work and I can't as easily just borrow one of our loaners.

Reading this thread warms my hearth though, because if dealers are throwing ECMs at the problem, that means someone is going to get tired of paying for ECMs under warranty and they'll put an engineer on the problem and eventually spit out a TSB.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:23 PM   #96
Subrz808

Drives: Brz
Picked up a new 17 brz with 15 miles on it this Saturday. Last night leaving work cel came on. Made an appointment for this morning at the dealership service dept. Found same codes P119f and P219a for air fuel ratio imbalance bank 1. my dealership is on the same lot with Toyota. I guess some 86’s have been coming in with the same problem. Toyota told there techs to just clear it and see if comes back on. So they cleared my codes and told me to comeback if it comes back on. So now I have to play the waiting game. Car runs fine but a little disheartening considering it’s a brand new car and problems already.
Subrz808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:01 PM   #97
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subrz808 View Post
Toyota told there techs to just clear it and see if comes back on. So they cleared my codes and told me to comeback if it comes back on.
I'm surprised Subaru didn't know how to handle it themselves.

We use Mitchell1 ProDemand at work, and searching under 2017 Toyota 86 for P119f and P219a yields no results, searching for the same under 2017 Subaru BRZ is a hit, and subaru has a TSB that adds a step in the diagnostic chart of P219a, instructing techs to check the valve lash. I think Identifix does the same, can't check AllData as we don't use it anymore (I loved it, service desk guy hated it).

I printed out and brought the Subaru diagnostic chart and TSB to the Toyota service manager earlier today, he seemed genuinely surprised. I told him to keep it in the back of his mind.

Though I say, it's fine if dealers just clear the codes, <<for now>> as long as they read them first and it's entered on a work order with the car's VIN, because eventually there's gonna be a piles of VINs with that problem, a paper trail (for warranty purposes) and a lot of higher ups scratching their heads wanting to know what's going on.

[edit]

Progress is being made! But only on my end.

Autel <3

It only took two days for it to hit again, but this time I'm ahead of game and peeking directly at pending codes instead of just waiting for the light to come on. On this drive cycle I was watching the misfires on the live data stream, and almost coasting down a gentle grade in fifth, Cyl #1 showed an anomaly. I'm going to do some basic, non intrusive checks around that area for intake leaks or failed injector seals, probably over the coming week, but for now it's the weekend!

Last edited by RZNT4R; 04-27-2018 at 07:00 PM.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
JesseG (09-12-2019)
Old 05-18-2018, 05:57 AM   #98
BRZ.Omar

Drives: 2017 BrrrrRz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I forgot to say, but on my second visit with the check engine lights, they replaced the fuel injectors. It has been about 2-3k km so far with no issues. I had the p219a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BRZ.Omar is offline   Reply With Quote