follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 09-24-2015, 02:44 AM   #1
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
CAE Ultra Shifter install...

The following DIY will cover the process I used to install the CAE Ultra Shifter, since there is zero documentation that comes with it (at least I didn't receive any) and are some area's that are a little tough.

Tools and items needed:
  • 10mm, 12mm,13mm, and 14mm sockets
  • Ratchet for sockets
  • 13mm & 14mm wrench
  • #2 Phillips head screwdriver
  • Flat head screwdriver
  • Cheap 3" C-clamp that you can modify (used for pushing the pin into the shifter shaft ...super tight tolerance that cannot be done by hand)
  • Some kind of spacer/bushing that has a larger ID than the pin diameter on the shaft coming out of the transmission (used for pushing the pin completely out the shifter shaft) The pin shaft is just under 10mm.
  • Pliers/channel-locks to use with the clamp
  • Tool of preference to cut the center console as necessary to allow fitment with shifter installed
  • grease
  • 2.5mm allen wrench
  • Some type of sealer/staking compound to apply to the set screws ( I used some old Vibratite VC-3 which we had at work, RTV would be a good alternative )

NOTE: The car must be lifted up to work from underneath for connecting the CAE shifter shaft to the transmission pin, would be best to do this first thing.

Reference: The DIY thread by F1point4 for the Perrin rear shifter bushing install covers most of what will be done here with all the needed torques and diagrams for the parts from the FSM. Link to it here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19767

Also, it is highly recommended to have stiffer engine and transmission mounts with this shifter due to it's precise and positive shifting nature. I installed the Perrin Engine mounts and transmission support at the same time but am not covering them in this DIY. Picture of what I all installed when doing the CAE Ultra Shifter install:

What you get when ordering the CAE Ultra Shifter from Hard Motorsports:

SECTION I: REMOVING STOCK SHIFTER ASSEMBLY

1. Remove side kick panels from each side of the dash console located under the dash area on each side (pull straight out towards the door)
2. Remove hand brake boot assembly from center console (pull straight up)
3. Remove shift knob then shifter boot/trim ring/traction control buttons assembly (start at the area where the shifter boot meets it and pry it straight up, prying it all up from front to back to work it loose and disconnectd the electrical switch connection)
4. Remove storage bin/USB/line-in assembly from dash console (push out from behind using area exposed from removing the kick panels)
5. Remove center console storage bin and rubber bottom from center console then remove the 6 Phillips head screws that attach it to the car and take out the console (don't forget to unplug the 12V socket before removing).
6. Remove the foam/acoustic dampening material ring piece around the shifter mechanism by unthreading the two white retaining caps then pull it out.
7. Remove the four 12mm bolts holding the metal bracket that is over the rubber shift boot and was under the foam/acoustic dampening material ring, take out the metal bracket (this will be reinstalled with the new mechanism later unless you don't want a center console installed...it has the two mount locations for the center console that are located rear of the shifter)
8. Remove the rubber shifter boot

[from under the car do steps 9-13]
9. Remove black fiberglass undertray
10. Remove the front pipe from the exhaust (14mm wrench on cat side and 12mm socket/14mm wrench on catback side if stock)
11. Move the boot covering the catch for the pin going through the shifter shaft completely onto the transmission selector control shaft to expose the pin and catch (extremely tight fit to get the rubber expanded...will take some work and patience to try and not tear it)
12. Remove the catch and plate washer from the pin (these will be reinstalled later with the new shifter mechanism)
13. Pull the pin free from the shifter shaft

[from inside the vehicle]
14. Remove the 4 bolts (10mm) going into the reverse lockout mechanism and remove the lockout mechanism, cover plate, and shifter rod.

[back under the car]
15. Unbolt the two 14mm bolts on the driveshaft support housing (this is to allow room to remove the shift lever retainer yoke in the next few steps, it won't come out otherwise.) Also, it should go without saying, but do not let the splined driveshaft end pull past the seal and out of the transmission tail (...two people are highly recommended for removing the yoke: one to manage and adjust the driveshaft as necessary while the other one wrangles the yoke out.)
16. Remove the two 12mm bolts securing the rear shifter support bushing and remove the rear bushing (this will no longer be needed)
17. Using the flat head screwdriver, rotate the two pins that attach the shift lever retainer yoke to the transmission until they can be pulled out to all the yoke to be freed from the transmission.
18. Pull the yoke directly back to free it from the transmission then work it around the driveshaft to remove it from underneath the vehicle - making sure to not let the driveshaft come out too far from the transmission tail when trying to give enough room to remove the yoke.
19. Once the yoke is free, reinstall the driveshaft support housing with the 14mm bolts from step 15 and torque. Now you no longer have to worry about dumping your transmission fluid accidentally and having a lot of extra unplanned work to do...yay!

SECTION II: INSTALLING THE CAE ULTRA SHIFTER

[back inside the vehicle]
1. Place the CAE Ultra shifter assembly base on the transmission tunnel, DO NOT INSTALL ANY FASTENERS AT THIS TIME.

[back under the vehicle]
2. Verify there is no burr or other feature on the pin of the transmission selector shaft which would prevent the CAE Ultra shifter shaft from going on (fitment is EXTREMELY tight and I could not get it on by hand, required pressing on with a HUGE ammount of force)
3. Grease the pin and slip on one of the aluminum spacers that comes with the CAE Ultra Shifter, making sure the chamfered side is going into the pin first (NOTE: It will initially seem the ID of the washer is too small to fit on the pin, but it is not - it is just so precisely sized for the pin that there is basically zero error for it being anything but perfectly aligned to slip on, and even when finally on the pin it takes considerable force to push it all the way to the end of the pin - but it can be done by hand.
4. Using a modified 3" capacity C-Clamp (modified as necessary to fit in the tunnel area and allow to function as best as possible) press the pin into the CAE Ultra Shifter shaft - THIS WILL TAKE CONSIDERABLE EFFORT. You thought the spacer was tight...LOL...you haven't experienced anything until getting the stock pin through the CAE Ultra Shifter shaft - it fully resists all the way. [Picture of my modified C-Clamp and bushing used...]
5. Once you get the pin through the shaft and at least flush with the other side then use the bushing to allow the pin to go all the way in. No relief here either - resistance is 100% all the way.
6. Once pin is completely through with no gap between the aluminum spacer and CAE Ultra shifter shaft then install the other aluminum spacer on the pin...this will seem like a piece of cake compared to what you just finished doing but it is exactly as difficult as step 3...LOL
7. Now install the factory plate washer and catch onto the pin which were originally removed to get the stock shifter out. (SECTION I, step 12)

8. Put the metal bracket (removed in SECTION I, step 7) over the CAE Ultra Shifter base and line up all the hole in the transmission tunnel, CAE Ultra Shifter base, and bracket. Loosely fasten the four 12mm bolts by hand.
9. Shove the CAE Ultra Shifter base all the way to the front of the car it can go then tighten and torque the four 12mm bolts.
10. Loosen the set screws withe the allen wrench to allow for setting up proper shifter travel, including reverse lockout paths (don't mess with setting it up at this time yet...)

[back under the vehicle]
11. VERY CAREFULLY, pull the boot on the transmission selector control shaft back over the pin in the shifter shaft. Take care not to let the catch rip the boot when trying to get it over it. This will take a lot of patience and time... If you rip it like I did then you will need to make your own boot somehow...
12. Reinstall the Front Pipe
13. Reinstall the black fiberglass undertray

14. Now adjust the setscrews for the 1-2, 5-6, and reverse lockout throws until you feel it is the most natural and least binding for going through the gears. Take the time to make this as good as possible.
15. Once you have the throws adjusted with the set screws, use the sealer/staking compound to help keep the setscrews from changing their position.
16. You will need to modify the foam/acoustic material ring to fit the CAE Ultra shifter base - this is basically just taking about 1/2" more off the rear inside since the CAE base is longer, width is fine.
17. Place the modified foam/acoustic damper material ring around the CAE Ultra shifter base and over the metal bracket and push on the two white retaining caps.
18. You will need at a minimum to cut a 1" slot in the center console from between the two dash mounting screws through the shifter ring end and remove the middle bottom tab of the storage bin/USB/line-in assembly along with cutting out a notch if you will be reinstalling the center console.
19. Test fit the center console and mod as necessary for proper fitment.
20. Reinstall the center console, shifter ring trim/buttons, and hand brake boot.

Installed it should look similar to this (not my setup):

NOTE: I'm going to make a special inverse boot and want to show off the base and mechanism so it is a work in progress, but mine looks like this currently:

And all the parts you should have left over when finished:

SECTION III: SO IS IT WORTH IT...

I'll put it this way... It is absolutely the best thing I have EVER done to the car! Note though that I did the Perrin Engine mounts and transmission support at the same time. The shifting feel is just unreal...videos don't even do it justice. It takes quite a bit more effort, but at the same time it is so precise with a very positive throw that just goes properly into gear with such a satisfying result. The knob height just puts it naturally where it needs to be. The reverse ring works just like stock. When getting out of reverse just make sure you go to shift like you want to go into second gear then let go of the shifter when it stops - it will automatically return back to neutral every time with the centering spring. The Perrin mounts probably help keep things nice and tight too...plus the ride quality with them has improved even more. Having that motor and transmission more firmly in place does a wonder for smoothing out harsh bumps and dips, and in making the chassis even more responsive.

I would do this install again in a heart-beat...so worth the effort!

Here's a video of someone else running their 86 with CAE Ultra Shifter on track... [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BiDUoBJ9uQ"]08.09.2015 Nuerburgring GP - Toyota GT86 vs. A lot of fast cars - YouTube[/ame])

Last edited by Vracer111; 09-24-2015 at 03:07 AM.
Vracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Vracer111 For This Useful Post:
Anthony (09-27-2015), Figo (09-27-2015), GT86_PRAGUE (09-30-2015), Hyper4mance2k (04-16-2016), jcw99 (12-14-2015), JPxM0Dz (09-24-2015), kch (09-24-2015), swarb (09-24-2015), yberther (03-06-2017)
Old 09-24-2015, 03:35 AM   #2
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Where did get it from?
Here? http://www.hardmotorsport.com/cae-ul...nd-scion-fr-s/
I remember you talking about it, but I didn't think you would do it, or at least not anytime soon. Was there a wait?
How much more effort would you say? Would a heavier knob make any difference?
So jelly.

swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:01 AM   #3
Vracer111

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Where did get it from?
Here? http://www.hardmotorsport.com/cae-ul...nd-scion-fr-s/
I remember you talking about it, but I didn't think you would do it, or at least not anytime soon. Was there a wait?
How much more effort would you say? Would a heavier knob make any difference?
So jelly.

Yes I got it from Hard Motorsports. Took about 3 weeks, they send the order to Germany, unit gets built then shipped to Hard Motorsports and then they ship it to you. Was finally able to sell the rifle that funded this.

Shifting cannot be compared to stock... I don't know how to describe it other than it is a totally different experience from stock that nothing else can replicate. I felt the stock shifter was way too relaxed and somewhat vague in throw sometimes... the CAE Ultra Shifter absolutely lets you know that you are in gear or neutral and really doesn't require a massive amount of effort, but it does require more effort than you are initially use to. You get use to it quickly though and it becomes second nature.

Like in the video in my initial post, using the palm of the hand over the top with fingers going down onto the sides of the knob seems to work the best for shifting into all gears... you get the best feel and movement control especially when going for 5th and 6th gear. It has a self centering spring so you just bump it forwards and it will automatically go into third, backwards and automatically into 4th. Installing the shifter now makes me want to install the 320mm Momo Monte Carlo race steering wheel with red stitching I've had new in box for years now into the FR-S....
GT86_PRAGUE (05-17-2016), swarb (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #4
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,412 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Super Glad someone has done a write up. I have been wanting to get one since I saw it. Now to find the words to use to win the purchase over on the significant other.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
wow, that thing is epic looking!
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:17 PM   #6
LOLS2K
/scion

Drives: '13 86 M/T
Thanked 1,402 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Thanks for the video! I love how he's able to outbrake/corner that Merc in every damn corner.

Last edited by LOLS2K; 09-24-2015 at 04:09 PM.
LOLS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:31 AM   #7
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Drives: 13 FRS -399lb, 11 335is, 05 Tiburon
Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,765 Posts
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Any idea on how much weight it saved? That big mount thing that comes off the transmission looks like it probably weighs 5 pounds on its own.

Build Thread | The Venus Project | Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #8
Vracer111

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Any idea on how much weight it saved? That big mount thing that comes off the transmission looks like it probably weighs 5 pounds on its own.
I will weigh the remaining parts at work tomorrow, but I don't know what the CAE Ultra Shifter exactly weighs...CAE specs a complete weight of 1.05kg (which I'd believe because you pick up the box and think someone stole your shifter because it feels like it's empty. Shifter shaft is 7075 aluminum and the base is an Aluminum/Magnesium alloy). I would guess probably between a 2-3lb total weight savings, the CAE Ultra shifter assembly weight seemed about the same as the aluminum shift lever retainer yoke.
Anthony (09-27-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 09:17 AM   #9
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post

My initial reaction is that you are a fool to have cut up the interior, installed something so hideous and then on top of it sticks out like an 18 wheeler gear shift with the throw of a TRD quick shifter. I have no doubt my Kart-Boy shifter and mounts can shift very very fast and looks like the throws are about comparable length to yours. Why did you choose this? Have you driven these cars with a short throw shifter? Is there something I am missing?

Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #10
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones View Post
My initial reaction is that you are a fool to have cut up the interior, installed something so hideous and then on top of it sticks out like an 18 wheeler gear shift with the throw of a TRD quick shifter. I have no doubt my Kart-Boy shifter and mounts can shift very very fast and looks like the throws are about comparable length to yours. Why did you choose this? Have you driven these cars with a short throw shifter? Is there something I am missing?

#racecarbro #trackdaybro
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
JPxM0Dz (10-08-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #11
malave7567

Drives: (formerly) 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
For motorsports, it's preferable to have the shift knob as close to the steering wheel as possible. I've seen people put extension bars on their stock shifter, but this increases the throw length. A well-designed shifter like this makes the shifts still feel incredible while moving the knob high up where you would want it while racing.

It's not something I would do to my car, since it has never seen a track, but if it is used for its intended purpose, it is awesome.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:07 AM   #12
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Drives: 13 FRS -399lb, 11 335is, 05 Tiburon
Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,765 Posts
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
It puts the knob closer to the wheel, is faster, more precise, lighter, and looks cool as shit.

Ok, so maybe that last one was subjective, but I too have a Kartboy short shifter currently installed, and I will probably be upgrading to this one.

Build Thread | The Venus Project | Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:08 PM   #13
Vracer111

Garage
Weighed all the removed parts and it comes out to right at 4.50lbs...so total weight removed in swapping to the CAE comes to around 2.2lbs, and that's with the relatively heavy foam/acoustic ring still being used around the base. The sensitivity of the scale used is 0.05lbs.
Anthony (09-28-2015), GT86_PRAGUE (10-23-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 08:14 PM   #14
_gt86_user
Inactive

Drives: .
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

This shifter is nothing like kartboy/BPS etc...fulcrum points have been changed and added to get it bolt action precise. Not just a shortened shifter.
_gt86_user is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cae ultra shifter