follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
86boyAF1

Drives: 1JZ-GTE Toyota Mark II, Toyota bB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So I test drove a JDM BRZ in Okinawa, JP today!!

So, I'm an American living in Japan, and this morning I decided to go check out the new BRZ at the Naha Subaru dealership. I had already gone to check out the Toyota 86 at the Chatan Dealership, but they didn't really want to let me drive the car since they know I won't be buying one here. Anyway, the subaru guy was really cool. He asked me if I wanted to go for a ride, and I immediately felt my heart start beating.

Their test drive car was a WRB model with the push button start and the sensors in the door handles. The JDM option packages are set up a bit differently, but this one seemed very similar to the Limited model you would find in the states. There was no radio, however, so I guess you can pick which ever system you want at the dealership or just buy a custom unit from autobacs on your way home.

I haven't driven a stick shift since 2007, and that was in a LHD car! I was really nervous that I was going to end up being the first BRZ crashed in Okinawa. My first driving impression was that the clutch seemed really high. I managed to pull out of the parking garage without too much drama. I kept over revving, though. I think that was due to the quick throttle response combined with the weird clutch feel. I'm going to attribute that to being rusty, though, because I started to get a hang of it towards the end of the drive.

As we turned onto the main road, the salesman had me take a few lefts and rights, and suddenly I knew exactly where we were going. There is an industrial area we called Aja, and in the late 90's, this is were we used to drag race and drift. Pretty much like F&F, but with a lot more zip ties and rust and less vinyl. It is hard to really explain the feelings I was experiencing while driving the BRZ around those same intersections 15 years later. The salesman knew his shit.

One thing I noticed while driving the car is that it is actually pretty easy to heel toe. Usually when I try to heel toe a strange car, I end up hitting the brakes a little to hard, but this car had the petals set up so this doesn't happen. I really like the shifting action, too. I was kinda weird using my left hand to shift, but the shifter was great. It was really quick, and even slipped right into gear when I stupidly forced it into first while rolling to a stop.

The power was fine. Perfect for squirting through traffic in Japan. It was very different from my Mark II which is already breaking the law before I hit full boost. I think the gearing might be lower for the JDM models because I was going through gears really quickly, hitting 4th around 60kph in normal driving. I did get on it one time and it spun the tires going into second a lot easier than I though it would. Of course, this caught the attention of everybody walking down the street, who all seemed to stop and stare at the car. At this point, we decided we've had enough fun and drove back to the dealership.

As far as the handling goes. I would say it is on par with the S14 240sx with coilovers I had in the States. You can really feel the point on the car that it is rotating around, even when you are not sliding. I don't know if that makes sense to you guys, but the best way I can explain it, is that you know how the car would feel at 90% of its limits even while tooling around at slow speeds.

I'm really looking forward to owning this car as soon as I get home. It is just so much fun. And to me, this car has a special meaning.
86boyAF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86boyAF1 For This Useful Post:
Guff (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
Hanzo

Drives: Waiting for the ND Miata
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
How was the car in high rpm, 5k and up? Was it smooth or coarse with vibration?
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
86boyAF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
How was the car in high rpm, 5k and up? Was it smooth or coarse with vibration?
It was really smooth all the way up. I was surprised when I would peek at the tach and see that I was already over 6k rpm. That is why I thought maybe the gearing was low. The engine noise was definitely subaru, though. Not anything like the 1jz.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
sbxjap

Drives: '95 Honda Civic HB/'13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I know what you mean by the pedal seeming a bit high... a quick jab of the foot and you can shift, but it seemed my leg barely went down.

Haven't had a chance to play with it yet and didn't check the other threads if anyone else adjusted pedal yet... car is still new and I'm just enjoying it, lol.
sbxjap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
schtebie

Drives: CBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbxjap View Post
I know what you mean by the pedal seeming a bit high... a quick jab of the foot and you can shift, but it seemed my leg barely went down.

Haven't had a chance to play with it yet and didn't check the other threads if anyone else adjusted pedal yet... car is still new and I'm just enjoying it, lol.
Not to steal from the thread, but the clutch engagement point seems to be a common concern:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8040

Has me a little worried as I've only driven an AT FR-S so far...
schtebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
sbxjap

Drives: '95 Honda Civic HB/'13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
lol, there you go. I didn't even have to find the thread! lol, awesome. Thanks a lot... I'll probably adjust it when I do my first oil change....
sbxjap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
Hanzo

Drives: Waiting for the ND Miata
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86boyAF1 View Post
It was really smooth all the way up. I was surprised when I would peek at the tach and see that I was already over 6k rpm. That is why I thought maybe the gearing was low. The engine noise was definitely subaru, though. Not anything like the 1jz.
My experience with me BRZ there is a lot of vibration in the higher rpms and engine turns very coarse. Even the Top Gear magazine mentioned how much vibration it is coming through the shifter. I wonder if it is smoother in Japan with their fuel.
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
STJ

Drives: Skyline R33 GTR
Quote:
I love the BRZ/86 twins and all, but i would never go from a 1JZ or RB25 to a non turbo H4!
If they ever want to get me into one it should atleast be H4 turbo, even with that i would miss the sound of a straight 6.
STJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
86boyAF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJ View Post
I love the BRZ/86 twins and all, but i would never go from a 1JZ or RB25 to a non turbo H4!
If they ever want to get me into one it should atleast be H4 turbo, even with that i would miss the sound of a straight 6.
Well, the thing is, the inline 6's of japan are all old, abused, and getting harder and harder to maintain. I guess that is why the BRZ seemed smooth to me. I'm used to driving a 16 year old car in desperate need of an overhaul.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
STJ

Quote:
Well, the thing is, the inline 6's of japan are all old, abused, and getting harder and harder to maintain. I guess that is why the BRZ seemed smooth to me. I'm used to driving a 16 year old car in desperate need of an overhaul.
Thats true, same here also drive a 16 year old I6. But i would like to know how does the 86 compare to the JZX, does it feel underpowerd or not being that light weight?
Old 07-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
86boyAF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJ View Post
Thats true, same here also drive a 16 year old I6. But i would like to know how does the 86 compare to the JZX, does it feel underpowerd or not being that light weight?
Well, it is hard to compare an automatic twin turbo I6 to a manual boxer, but I would say that the boxer felt way more responsive. Everything is very immediate, where as the mark II is more of a luxury barge. It never felt bogged down, and would pull even when I left it in third through an intersection. I didn't have to wait until the turbos spooled up, but of course, the power wasn't as brutal as the 1JZ, either. I didn't feel those heavy g forces like I do in my mark II. It was actually a lot like a 250cc sport motorcycle where the power is not great, but your still having a great time revving through the gears and carrying speed.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #12
STJ

Quote:
Well, it is hard to compare an automatic twin turbo I6 to a manual boxer, but I would say that the boxer felt way more responsive. Everything is very immediate, where as the mark II is more of a luxury barge. It never felt bogged down, and would pull even when I left it in third through an intersection. I didn't have to wait until the turbos spooled up, but of course, the power wasn't as brutal as the 1JZ, either. I didn't feel those heavy g forces like I do in my mark II. It was actually a lot like a 250cc sport motorcycle where the power is not great, but your still having a great time revving through the gears and carrying speed.
Don't think the twin's will suite me, having way to much fun on boost. Realy hope they put the new DIG-T from the JDM legacy into the BRZ/86.