follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-15-2018, 12:09 AM   #1
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Two Questions Regarding Boost and Block

I have heard a couple of people reference the newer blocks. I was wondering if there was more info somewhere on here (my search attempts didn't find anything)?

Would it be a drop in if I wanted to swap blocks from 2015 to the newer "better" block? Or is there a lot of work to be done?

Does the newer engine hold more boost? I am currently at 8, and wanting to play with a bit higher boost, but it's "not safe." So I was wondering if the new engine is better in that aspect.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-15-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
mjanmohammad

Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post
I have heard a couple of people reference the newer blocks. I was wondering if there was more info somewhere on here (my search attempts didn't find anything)?

Would it be a drop in if I wanted to swap blocks from 2015 to the newer "better" block? Or is there a lot of work to be done?

Does the newer engine hold more boost? I am currently at 8, and wanting to play with a bit higher boost, but it's "not safe." So I was wondering if the new engine is better in that aspect.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated!
The 2017 blocks have minor improvements, not really enough to make it worthwhile to swap it completely. For that amount of money, you could just build your block.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:35 PM   #3
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjanmohammad View Post
The 2017 blocks have minor improvements, not really enough to make it worthwhile to swap it completely. For that amount of money, you could just build your block.
Thanks! Just what I was wondering. Back to plotting a built engine...