follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
N_I_N

Drives: FR-S [Hot Lava]
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
NOOB Exhaust Question

So I bought a used Nvidia N1 SS Exhaust and got it installed today. I'm wondering about the "baffles" (not sure if that's the term) and if they matter "power-wise".

When I left the shop they were NOT installed (at my request). It sounded loud obviously and at about 3k RPM a pretty substantial "drone".

When I got home, I installed them to see what the difference would be. Not surprisingly it was much quieter - almost a little too quiet.

So I guess my question is leaving them in obviously makes them quieter. But wouldn't it also help in the torque area as well by increasing back pressure?

Or for pure HP gain, should I leave them out?
Attached Images

N_I_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
usptwins
Toyota Soul

Drives: 96 taco
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The silencer is pretty much just for you to quiet down the exhaust. If its too loud, then keep it in, if its too quiet, take it out. Back pressure really has no use for that. Think of you trying to breath through a straw, and something is plugging it up with a smaller hole. It just puts more strain on the flow and doesn't allow for you to breath easily. Easy flow=less strain on the engine.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
Sellout
Mr. Cranky Pants

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
But wouldn't it also help in the torque area as well by increasing back pressure?
That's an old myth that just won't die. The engine is an air pump. Anything that makes it easier for the engine to pump air will allow the engine to make more power with proper tuning.

Scavenging, or the lack thereof, is responsible for the backpressure/torque myth.
Sellout is offline   Reply With Quote