follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 07-19-2019, 10:48 PM   #29
Conman

Drives: Red FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Huge thank you to James at HRI tuning, He was able to get me an emergency base tune for the FRS literally on the spot before he jumped on a air plane today. Car will be running tomorrow. Thank you to Impulse Performance! They did the whole install on the build and have been hard at work on this for over a month!
Attached Images

Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:48 PM   #30
Conman

well not looking good... First start of the car resulted in massive clouds of burning oil. The AOS wasn't installed correctly but im not sure if thats the only issue going on... What eles could cause it to burn tons of oil at idle? Are the oil lines hooked up correct? Is the turbo just broken? its brand new...
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2019, 11:38 PM   #31
Conman

Honestly after the nightmare dealing with Delicious tuning; and now this Im ready to just move on to something else. I just wanted to make this car faster instead of buying something eles but im ready to be done with this.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:12 AM   #32
WC-BRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman View Post
Honestly after the nightmare dealing with Delicious tuning; and now this Im ready to just move on to something else. I just wanted to make this car faster instead of buying something eles but im ready to be done with this.
This was just tough to read - sorry you have to go through this.

Firstly, what happened with delicious tuning?

Secondly, the minute I read your earlier post above about your car being at the tuning shop for a month, red flags went up and I wanted to ask how come a turbo install is taking that long? I didn't ask as I figured it may have been there due to some other work involved as well...care to elaborate what happened with the shop?

Switching to another platform may not be the answer...this just seems to be a mismanaged turbo install
WC-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:19 PM   #33
WC-BRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Ok, that really is very unfortunate. No need to get rid of the car yet - in fact, I'd say you should contact @ATL BRZ and check in with him regarding your JDL install.

Check his build thread on here and he also has YouTube videos of his install. On YouTube just search him under "Ian Barton".

Try to contact 86speed also as they usually seem to be quite helpful.

Perhaps even @CSG Mike may be of help here and while he doesn't have the JDL kit, he does have a front mount kit (Greddy)

Edit: never mind, looks like some help is on hand in the JDL thread

Last edited by WC-BRZ; 07-21-2019 at 02:26 PM. Reason: ....
WC-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WC-BRZ For This Useful Post:
Conman (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 04:06 PM   #34
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,174 Times in 6,833 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
I may run a GReddy kit on my car, but I'm probably more familiar with the JDL kit than most owners and shops.

Tons of oil burning? Check your vacuum lines and PCV system. You may be sucking in oil inadvertently.

DW pumps and injectors are just fine. That's what I run on my own, championship winning car. ID injectors are better, but you're likely not at a power level where it will make a significant difference. ID injectors are much easier to tune for tuners who want the injector data handed to them on a silver platter, so it's often recommended by tuners who don't want to or don't know how to really get low duty cycle pulse width down.

As for a return, DT has no obligation to take a return, although they may, with a re-stocking fee.

Do you want to get tuned by the guy who helped DT and JDL build their reputations? He's a part owner at CSG now.

Also, many vendors and customers are frustrated with DT precisely for the issues you've described. 86Speed will be selling CSG tunes moving forward, like many other vendors who previously had great experiences with DT when Zach was their primary point of contact, sales rep, and tuner.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (07-22-2019), Conman (07-21-2019), maslin (07-22-2019), mrloko (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 07:29 PM   #35
mrloko

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
well not looking good... First start of the car resulted in massive clouds of burning oil. The AOS wasn't installed correctly but im not sure if thats the only issue going on... What eles could cause it to burn tons of oil at idle? Are the oil lines hooked up correct? Is the turbo just broken? its brand new...
Don't know if it's too late but, have you checked the turbo return lines? Also I would route the Verus AOS Vent to atmosphere, I have the same setup and never had any issues. You should check if you got any oil in your turbo as well, other than a cleanup job i don't think you should fall now man you have a lot in this build. This thread is packed with nice stuff you have on the car, don't give up dude
mrloko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrloko For This Useful Post:
Conman (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 08:12 PM   #36
Conman

ok ok sorry I was stressing. Car is working. Just drove it and its great! We just had to fix the AOS set up. It just sucked a little oil in on the first start but it seems all good now. I will post a better update soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Conman For This Useful Post:
MCTeeJ (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 12:09 AM   #37
Steveiam

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
ok ok sorry I was stressing. Car is working. Just drove it and its great! We just had to fix the AOS set up. It just sucked a little oil in on the first start but it seems all good now. I will post a better update soon.
Glad to hear everything's back and running. I would really like to hear what you think of the kit as I'm thinking of getting the JDL kit in near future. Also, which gauge mount are you using for the dashboard?
Steveiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:12 PM   #38
Conman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveiam View Post
Glad to hear everything's back and running. I would really like to hear what you think of the kit as I'm thinking of getting the JDL kit in near future. Also, which gauge mount are you using for the dashboard?
JDl is A+; the dual gauge mount is a Perrin. It blocks the useless spedo and the temp gauge but both of those are not really that important to see.
Steveiam (08-03-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 06:17 PM   #39
Conman

https://www.facebook.com/connor.hint...8341432790621/

So its running now that we unhooked the AOS from the intake port. Two center hoses are now open. It looks like I want to connect them with a T-Connector and then just dump the open end out the bottom of the car? Or should I get a catch can? Verus has a recirculated add on also I could get... Also Im not sure what happened but my AEM oil pressure gauge has stopped working already? Drove it home from the shop and it worked fine. Pulled into the driveway and it lost power? Like it blew a fuse or came unconnected from the power or something?
Old 07-24-2019, 12:00 PM   #40
Conman

So driving it this morning it’s started smoking from the engine. It’s looks like some coolant is leaking somewhere? It was just a bit to the left of engine down in the plastic tray. Couldn’t see from where it leaked, but then it stopped smoking? I’m taking it to another shop to fix the Oil gauge that doesn’t work so maybe they can find the leak
Old 08-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #41
Conman

Well I thought I would update the title of my build to the "Cursed Psychedelic Silver" Turbo build. Lol. As my engine is blown. Did one 3rd gear pull for a data log to James at HRI. It felt great hitting boost and the car felt really fast! next day engine has rod knock. I tow it to Toyota to have them confirm and to see if any way the Jo2 recall played a role. They said no evidence the recall played any part... So now the plan is to get the car in for a full Engine Build. Might build the heads depending on what they find.. Might switch the turbo out for something bigger now that im going Fully built. Not sure what the power goal is now; I would like to make 450-wheel on E85. Stay tuned; and send some positive karma my way since someone or something has clearly Hexed this build.
MrSkubi (08-12-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #42
Steveiam

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Best of luck on the engine rebuild. Pretty curious to which route that you'll go since I'm thinking of going built in distant future too. And I'm always down for happy endings lol.
Steveiam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steveiam For This Useful Post:
Conman (08-11-2019)