follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-31-2014, 01:22 PM   #29
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
You do know the BRZ is the same "slow-ass, mass production 'sports car,'" right?
I know but my point was that compared to the Evo X and many other cars I've driven, it's relatively slow. The Subaru dealers seem to understand that it is much slower than their other cars like the WRX and STI so they don't care as much about people test driving it on their own. Whereas Toyota hasn't had a sports car in along time so the ignorant and arrogant sales people may assume it's a very fast and dangerous car and it would be irresponsible of them to let people test drive it on their own.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:48 PM   #30
JDMenrique
DEEEERP

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Subaru didn't offer military discount, therefore I got my FR-S for $1,000 under the Pure Price of $25,125.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:00 PM   #31
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
I know but my point was that compared to the Evo X and many other cars I've driven, it's relatively slow. The Subaru dealers seem to understand that it is much slower than their other cars like the WRX and STI so they don't care as much about people test driving it on their own. Whereas Toyota hasn't had a sports car in along time so the ignorant and arrogant sales people may assume it's a very fast and dangerous car and it would be irresponsible of them to let people test drive it on their own.
I think it's more a case of bad salesman than Toyota/Scion as a whole. I went to two dealerships in Austin. The first, the guy wouldn't even let me look at the FR-S ("Oh, you don't want that. It's slow. Try our used Camaro RS"). The second dealer let me test drive it and take it home for the night to see if I liked it. It was the only monogram on the lot.

It's just the luck of the draw with dealers. Unfortunately, I think there's more bad ones than good ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMenrique View Post
Subaru didn't offer military discount, therefore I got my FR-S for $1,000 under the Pure Price of $25,125.
Sucks that you have to finance to get the discount. I went to Scion as well for the college grad + military discount, but they told me I had to finance with them to get it
Jyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jyn For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 02:04 PM   #32
Boxer486
Banned

Drives: small
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
Lol, when I was shopping I had 4 different test drives at 2 different dealers over the course of 3 months before buying. I never even asked for a test drive once, they pretty much threw the keys at me.
Boxer486 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boxer486 For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 02:32 PM   #33
ChiefG
Skeptic

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Pure Price is, in my opinion and experience, Pure Bullshit. I went to the dealer with his online advertised price only to be told that includes a trade-in. In other words, to get that price, I had to trade-in another vehicle. Then in negotiations he proceeded to add in shipping charges which were $100 MORE than the regular Scion shipping charge (which is included in the price), and added "dealer prep" which is also included in the price of the car. Of course, none of this was documented on the website. After calling BS on those charges, I eventually bought the car. They didn't even do a very good job of preparing the car for sale, and after I got it home, I found damage to the paint that I didn't notice before I took it off the lot, and the "general sales manager" and salesman were real jerks about it. They refused to do anything. At least the body shop manager gave me a bottle of touch-up paint, but the GSM refused to authorize a proper repair. Russel Toyota, Baltimore MD. Be warned.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:35 PM   #34
Funktional

Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX Premium Ice Silver
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I told a friend of mine what I paid for my FR-S and he casually mentioned it to a guy at a bar one night. Apparently the guy got enraged and said I was a liar and that I couldn't pay anything less than MSRP because of Scion's PurePricing. I really got a good laugh when he told me the story imagining some dude extremely pissed off in a bar because he didn't believe what I paid for my FR-S.

Pure pricing just means that the dealer has to sell it for whatever it's advertised for. They could literally advertise the car for $1 and sell it with a $25,454 discount and it would still be in line with Pure Pricing policy. That being said, do all dealers follow pure pricing guidelines? Probably not......I believe Toyota does audit the sales process for some Scion transactions but it's probably pretty rare.

FWIW, my FR-S had an MSRP of $25,874.00 and I paid $23,300 out the door.
Funktional is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Funktional For This Useful Post:
fistpoint (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 03:11 PM   #35
Jyn
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefG View Post
Pure Price is, in my opinion and experience, Pure Bullshit. I went to the dealer with his online advertised price only to be told that includes a trade-in. In other words, to get that price, I had to trade-in another vehicle. Then in negotiations he proceeded to add in shipping charges which were $100 MORE than the regular Scion shipping charge (which is included in the price), and added "dealer prep" which is also included in the price of the car. Of course, none of this was documented on the website. After calling BS on those charges, I eventually bought the car. They didn't even do a very good job of preparing the car for sale, and after I got it home, I found damage to the paint that I didn't notice before I took it off the lot, and the "general sales manager" and salesman were real jerks about it. They refused to do anything. At least the body shop manager gave me a bottle of touch-up paint, but the GSM refused to authorize a proper repair. Russel Toyota, Baltimore MD. Be warned.
Leave feedback on review sites like Yelp, Google, etc. This is the best way to 1) let people know of the shoddy quality and bad practices and 2) affects the dealership in the best (worst) way possible - future possible revenue. I've found that many businesses will reach out to you to either rectify the situation, or will try and call you out. Which just makes them look stupider.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jyn For This Useful Post:
ChiefG (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #36
Chattanooga FR-S

Drives: Monogram Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I know there are discounts on the 10 Series since some dealers still have them on the lots, but given the limited numbers on the Monograms, do you think people are getting lower prices for them, or do you think the dealers are still sticking to the set price since some of them still haven't even been delivered yet?
Chattanooga FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:55 PM   #37
Namuna

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
"Pure Pricing" is pure bullshit. There's enough responses in this thread (and quite a few others) stating this.

The only ways around it are:
1. If they won't budge on the price, then negotiate on having them add extras. When I got my FRS, they wouldn't go lower than the sticker, but I DID negotiate having them add-in extras (TRD intake, mudguards, floor and trunk mats, trunk liner).
2. Keep going to other Scion dealers until you find one that's willing to bend the rules.
3. Go to Subaru instead.

Last edited by Namuna; 03-31-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Namuna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Namuna For This Useful Post:
ChiefG (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 03:58 PM   #38
Jyn
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chattanooga FR-S View Post
I know there are discounts on the 10 Series since some dealers still have them on the lots, but given the limited numbers on the Monograms, do you think people are getting lower prices for them, or do you think the dealers are still sticking to the set price since some of them still haven't even been delivered yet?
I got my Monogram for a little bit over suggested fair price value (I think Edmunds or KBB gives this - basically a value that you shouldn't feel "ripped off" for both you and the dealer). I've seen some people on here get a monogram for a little under or around MSRP, but many salesmen just see the monogram as an excuse to keep the price high due to "limited edition." The 10 Series had discounts, IMO, because it was only one color.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:18 PM   #39
travisb

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I worked with 6 different Scion and Subaru dealers today to get their absolute lowest out-the-door price. So that includes all fees and taxes.

This is what I was able to get quoted as a total purchase price for Base FR-S or Premium BRZ with a manual transmission and as few options as possible. (no options on any I think, except for Whiteout on the FR-S)

2013 FR-S White $25,463.00
2014 FR-S Black, Blue $26,105.00
2014 BRZ White $26,211.00
2013 FR-S White, Blue $26,666.00
2014 BRZ White $26,700.00
2014 FR-S White $27,471.00

Obviously the last FR-S on the list seems out of place with the rest. How do the rest of these prices stand up to what you got or have seen?

I plan to make a purchase in the next 48 hours.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:22 PM   #40
FRSure

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
http://www.koonstoyotatysonscorner.c...etPrice%20asc&

Maybe this will help..

Wow + Freight + Tax = OTD
FRSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:25 PM   #41
soon...

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Toyota dealer by me is refusing to budge on the price with me (28,550 for a monogram whiteout), they said they get audited and can lose their ability to carry Scions. Going to end up in a BRZ as a result.
soon... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:33 PM   #42
travisb

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSure View Post
http://www.koonstoyotatysonscorner.c...etPrice%20asc&

Maybe this will help..

Wow + Freight + Tax = OTD
I did do something similar. I just want to see if there is something I am missing.

FR-S: 24,220 (invoice) + 1283.66 (tax) + 800 (freight) + 500 (fees) = 26,804

BRZ: 25,216 (invoice) + 1336.448 (tax) + 800 (freight) + 500 (fees) = 27,852

So I am guessing anything below those totals is good.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote